Rethinking my Pre-Med School Choice

Started by SendChris
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SendChris

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First time poster, long time reader. This site has been an amazing resource and thank you to all of you. I have read several posts about this topic, but I'd like some feedback on my particular situation.


Let me start off with a little background info. This is a long story and I will try to make it as short and concise as possible, but bare with me. I'm 30 years old with about 1 semester left to finish my associates degree and transfer to to a 4 year university. I'm at a community college now after moving to a new area and buying a house with my new wife. We have been married for a couple months and we are looking to get pregnant soonish. We have been together for close to 3 years. I never went to college when I was younger because of a life interruption due to some losses in the family. I spent between the ages of 15-24 in the IT field where I was very successful in my career before deciding I wanted a change and that I wanted to pursue my real passion. I left my career and went to school, doing REALLY well in a community college before I decided to prematurely leave because I was accepted to Seton Hall University and given a scholarship (a huge regret of mine, I wish I had stayed and gotten my associates at the first CC). To try to sum this up, I hated Seton Hall, did very poorly, tried to work again while in school because I was unfocused, and eventually left. After leaving I focused on my IT career again because it's what I had to do. I eventually went back to that community college I had done so well in and didn't do so great because I was focused on running my company since some new opportunities had come up. In the last year (3 years after having left school) I decided I was done with my company, sold everything, and decided it was time to focus on getting into medical school. Hence where I am, living in a new area and at a new school. Working on getting my GPA back up.


Where I'm living now is Central Jersey, literally 5 minutes away from the Rutgers New Brunswick campus. I'm also about 20-30 minutes away from Princeton. My original idea was to just enroll at Rutgers, but I missed the deadline while I was moving to the area, which is why I'm at the local community college. I'm looking to finish my associates and transfer.


While I originally thought Rutgers was a pretty good choice, some recent opinions I have heard from students and parents are giving me some concern. Things like huge class sizes, poor quality professors, and just a huge student body in general. Don't get me wrong, I do not have a problem getting professors to notice me or speaking up. I know feasibility wise, Rutgers would likely be pretty good for me given the proximity and availability of classes. They also seem to have some decent pre-med mentor ship and programs.


I suppose I should also note that I am also a volunteer EMT (because I love it and for the experience, not necessarily to pad my med school application). I'm also currently looking for work in a hospital as a Patient or Critical Care Tech for the exposure. I haven't started looking yet, but I'm thinking about Pre-Med Internships with a focus on Emergency medicine.


Am I wasting my time with this stuff? I have tons of other extra-curricular's and leadership stuff I have done as well.


Regarding the school choice, what I'm wondering is, is there a better choice I could be making?



Thanks for your time everyone, it's truly appreciated.



-Chris
 
Last edited: