Rethinking Pharmacy.. is it truly the right choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to a Gallup survey, only 20% of people like what they do every day. Even if there are a lot of pharmacists complaining about their job, it is probably similar to other professions. Fulfillment comes from within, and not from a profession. Of course you can definitely align your passion with the skill sets & a profession that allows you to use your talents the most...and you will probably be happier than if you didn't.

After talking to a few pharmacists, reading some online blogs, and just general discussion amongst others I keep getting the nagging feeling that Pharmacists generally dislike their job.

I ask because I am really considering not trying for Pharmacy school anymore. All the reasons I thought Pharmacy was tops have turned out (seemingly) to be false. Apparently it's not low stress, the hours aren't as flexible as I thought, and Pharmacists get no respect.

Sigh,

How much truth is it that most Pharmacists wish they had chosen another career?

Members don't see this ad.

After talking to a few pharmacists, reading some online blogs, and just general discussion amongst others I keep getting the nagging feeling that Pharmacists generally dislike their job.

I ask because I am really considering not trying for Pharmacy school anymore. All the reasons I thought Pharmacy was tops have turned out (seemingly) to be false. Apparently it's not low stress, the hours aren't as flexible as I thought, and Pharmacists get no respect.

Sigh,

Oh, that's too bad that you are considering not going for pharmacy school. I have friends that are planning to go even though they know how stressful my job is. They see it everyday, I guess they are thinking about how much more money I make compared to them for the most part, and they think they can do what I do, which is great. I got into pharmacy because I like the field of medicine, but I didn't want to go to medical school because it takes too long. I encourage them to go for it and remind them that there are different practice settings, not just retail. I am actually starting to enjoy retail more, I really try to have fun and use my clinical skills in the community setting whenever I can.

Someone has asked me if I would be a pharmacist if I get to choose again, I said I might not go through pharmacy school again. I said I didn't expect to put in so much time, effort, and money (tuition). I didn't say that because I hate my job. A lot of the times when we complain here is because of the company we work for, that's different...:luck:

Ignoring the above.

I love my job. I can see myself doing many different types of job, but I have never ever regretting choosing pharmacy. My job is moderately stressful (low stress = boring), good (but not flexible) hours, very good pay, challenging, great coworkers, respect from most people. It's like every other field - there are good and bad work environments.

There is no answer to this question, just like no one can tell you if you'd like being a dentist or a teacher or a landscaper.

Hi Cowgirl:

Can I ask you a question? The question is where do you work and have you done a residency or not?

Just to get a clue as a newbie pharm student. :cool::)

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course you can definitely align your passion with the skill sets & a profession that allows you to use your talents the most...and you will probably be happier than if you didn't.

:thumbup:

Hi Cowgirl:

Can I ask you a question? The question is where do you work and have you done a residency or not?

Just to get a clue as a newbie pharm student. :cool::)

She works as a hybrid clinical staff pharmacist who does it all at a community hospital. Yes, she did a residency.

If this is your assessment of the profession, don't go into it.

There are a lot of pharmacists who have low stress, flexible, and enjoyable jobs where they get respect. I would even say "cush" jobs. At least, this is my assessment based on the sum of my experiences in pharmacies. I believe pharmacy is one of the best healthcare professions to go into, and you'll probably find a lot of pharmacy students and at least some pharmacists (the ones I know) who agree with me.

You'll tend to find more complainers on here than not, though. The happy pharmacists i know dont spend time on sdn talking about how great their jobs are. You'll find a few of those here though. I suggest talking to them for a more balanced picture.

Can you share what jobs are "cush". What makes a job cush and how does one attain? Thank you.

Not really...Let me give you another perspective:

When i worked for CVS, I was miserable..Long hours, no lunch and I felt like someones slave...But everyday I got to work on time, serviced my pts 110% and did the best i could...But i never lost hope that someday I would love my job...I soon realized that it wasnt pharmacy itself...it was the company i worked for...They made it miserable...20 pages of PCI calls, KPM, PSI, blah blah Triple S...I mean come on...So finally I quit...opened up a pharmacy, and i service many many people...Its been 10 months or so and i couldnt be happier with my job...everyday gets better and busier...NO BS. No nothing...just satisfaction...I do whatever i have to for my patients, cause it makes them healthier, and makes me wanna get up everyday and go to work...So there is hope...

And I'm sorry but you have to experience being in the HOT seat to see what its like...To have a drug interaction staring at you and at the same time having some douche bag manager asking you about PCI calls...or the drive thru going off...and the phones and a consult all waiting on just YOU...just BS...and for what? 130k a year and benefits? Im there already today...and we keep on growing...Dont lose hope...Look at other avenues of pharmacy...it can be rewarding...
Amen to that one! Just left CVS. They are putting so much pressure on the pharmacist to concentrate so much on numbers........PCI,RF,KPM,SSS,etc.,etc. They claim to "care" for their customers. I say they are just ruled by the mighty dollar and give the pharmacists nothing but grief. Less tech hours, more paperwork, unattainable goals, and so forth. I love being a pharmacist. It's the atmosphere which has really changed over the last 23 yrs. I've been practicing. Hoping to find a good fit for me now. I just want to concentrate on being a great pharmacist and have corporate backing the pharmacy team up. And, yes, I would do it all over again.:)

Sigh,

I got my BS degree in pharmacy a few years ago and went straight into a Ph.D. program in pharmaceutics. Worked in industry for a few years and joined academia 3 years back. I absolutely love my job!! I am happy with the salary, get 5 weeks off + 12 holidays + 6 sick days/2 personal days + can get a lot of professional leave. Teach close to 60 lectures a year. The first year was relatively bad making all the lectures but now it hardly takes any time. Do get consulting work here and there + some weekend hours in retail (both of which have been drying up in the last year). I am just telling you that there are options out there in pharmacy where people are very satisfied and very happy. I do worry how saturation is going to affect my job in the next few years though.

Last edited: