Retina interviews 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LASIKguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

For those of us who have applied to retina, lets keep this thread rolling last last year.

Interviews so far:

1. UT southwestern at Dallas
2. Univ. of Lousville
3. Texas Retina Associates

Members don't see this ad.

Interviews so far:

1. UT southwestern at Dallas
2. Univ. of Ken. at lousville
3. Texas Retina Associates

Huh? University of Kentucky at Louisville? There's University of Kentucky (located in Lexington) and the University of Louisville.

Texas Retina? Is that the Houston program with Mike Lambert? He seems like a nice guy. Or is that Retina Texas?

Texas Retina? Is that the Houston program with Mike Lambert? He seems like a nice guy. Or is that Retina Texas?

Texas Retina Associates is in Dallas, great program from what I hear

RetinaVitreous of Texas is in Houston with Mike Lambert, a very nice guy from what I hear

Based on reports from other applicants I know this year, the following have offered interviews to people:

1. Wilmer
2. Baylor
3. Yale
4. Texas Retina (Dallas)
5. U Florida Jacksonville

Anyone have any insight into the above programs?

Has anyone heard from Iowa, Royal Oak, USC, UCLA, Wills, Emory, Kresge, Vanderbilt, Oregon, or Duke?

Members don't see this ad :)
My sources have told me that Emory, USC, and UCLA have also let applicants know.

As stated above, TRA is texas retina associates program in Dallas, very busy and largest retina group in the country.
Lamberts is with retina/vitreous of texas in Houston, supposedly do a lot of watching but great program and famous guy.

Sorry, i meant University of Louisville program, i dunno anything about that incident, can you private message me? thanks.

More offers:

U of Florida at jacksonville by email
UC DAVIS by snail mail

So far, interviews in the order I have recieved them....

UT Southwestern, UCLA, Wilmer, Emory, Yale, UC davis, tufts, casey, wisconsin, vanderbilt, Rush, Iowa, Mass Eye and Ear, UCSF, Cleveland clinic, beaumont, NYEE, wills, cpmc, steve charles, Barnes, Northwestern, Columbia, UCSD, chicago

Hey Guys, been a while! The application process still manages to be painful. Where i have received interviews from so far in order:

Emory, Wilmer, UCLA, Beaumont, Casey, Duke, USC, Wash U, Columbia...

Rejections: Wills...

what type of okap scores does one need to have to match into a retina fellowship

what type of okap scores does one need to have to match into a retina fellowship

Many fellowships I interviewed at did not ask for an OKAP score. I think other things are more important like your letters of recommendation, research, publications, and residency institution. Also, how you do on your interview is very important.

Heard from (invites, rejections, waitlisted) or called and was told status:

Texas Retina Associates, Wilmer, UCLA, Tufts, UW-Madison, Kresge, NYEE, Wills, UIC, Emory, CPMC, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Baylor, MCW (not participating in match this year), UCSD, Columbia, Rush, UC-Irvine

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that Iowa (letter) and Utah (email) have invited applicants. Has anyone heard anything from Wills or CPMC?

More notifications:

UWisconsin (email), Oregon (email), Kresge (email), Vanderbilt (letter)

radio silence from Wills and WashU so far, i think...anyone hear anything from them?

rejection: UCLA (email), Emory (letter)

i think cpmc said they'll notify by the 28th...

anyone out there not getting too many replies? i've only got two and would consider myself a fairly competitive candidate. this is getting worrisome...

anyone out there not getting too many replies? i've only got two and would consider myself a fairly competitive candidate. this is getting worrisome...

All indications are that this is one of the most competitive years for vitreoretinal surgery programs in some time, likely due to the incredible recent advances in medical and surgical treatment. Emory, in their rejection letter to me, stated that applications were up 33% from last year. Also keep in mind that there are political issues that factor into who is interviewed where, such as who you know and where you trained. It's, unfortunately, not only about the strength of your application. I'm batting 0.500, with 5 more programs to hear from (no communication yet, according to my sources and this board). Keep your head up. ;)

Of the 18 programs I applied to 2 years ago, only 2 wanted OKAPs. I think they were Beaumont and Emory. So, great OKAPS scores aren't that essential.

Just heard from Kellogg today. Unfortunately, their lone date (which was not advertised) conflicts with the one I already set for Vanderbilt (11/2). Of course, the alternate date at Vanderbilt (11/5) is now full. Anyone interviewing at Vanderbilt on 11/5 who could move to the 11/2 date?

Just heard from Kellogg today. Unfortunately, their lone date (which was not advertised) conflicts with the one I already set for Vanderbilt (11/2). Of course, the alternate date at Vanderbilt (11/5) is now full. Anyone interviewing at Vanderbilt on 11/5 who could move to the 11/2 date?

And your taking the Vanderbilt interview??

I have heard from a few one year retina programs.

Anybody knows if it matters if you go to a one yr program as long as you get a lot of cases and are a good surgeon? Just to keep in mind most programs were one year upto 4-5 yrs ago.

Most people who trained at or are currently training at a 2 year program will be biased but does it matter when you are looking for jobs???

Anybody knows if it matters if you go to a one yr program as long as you get a lot of cases and are a good surgeon? Just to keep in mind most programs were one year upto 4-5 yrs ago.

Most people who trained at or are currently training at a 2 year program will be biased but does it matter when you are looking for jobs???

There are some good (i.e., high surgical volume) one year programs out there, but many more that are not. As to how it will affect your job search, that depends upon the type of job you're seeking. If you want to hang out your shingle or join a group, you should be fine with a good one year program. I'm interested in academics, so I only applied to 2 year programs. They tend to make allowances for research and tend to prepare you better for an academic career.

is anyone scheduled for UF Jacksonville on November 2 that would like to switch for October 12?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Hey,

Does anyone have any thoughts on deciding between interviews at Tufts vs. Cole? ...I don't know very much about either program.

And would anyone care to comment on how many interviews are *enough*?

Thanks!

You likely will not get an academic position with a 1 year fellowship. There are also a few practices around the country that limit their hires to fellows from prestigious 2 year fellowships. Like, The Retina Group in DC for example, although they did hire their last 2 fellows.

Most of the 1 year fellowships are not that good. I heard good things about one of the candian ones. I can tell you to avoid UVA. I have heard nothing good, and even spoke with one of Tiedman's recent fellows who ranted for over an hour with nothing but negative comments.

I interviewed at WVU. Dr. Chisholm was a very nice guy who has been training fellows as long as anybody else in the country right now. I think the fellow at WVU does about >250 primary cases over 1 year, operating from day 1. It is a fairly good experience. However, I believe Dr. Chisolm is going to retire within the next 1-2 years. He is ?72. So things may change.

BTW, its been a little longer than 4 years since "most" programs were 1 year. There is a recent move for accreditation of retina fellowships, even though it is not through the ACGME. I am not sure how this will affect the 1 year surgical programs.

I have heard that Tufts is a decent experience. But remember, there are other programs in Boston you will be competing for cases with them. At COLE you work with Hilel Lewis, in a top notch facility, who is very smart, but not the easiest person to get along with. Peter Kaiser and Shachat are also at COLe...I don't know about surgical volume, but I think getting to work those guys would be worthwhile.

So far, interviews in the order I have recieved them....

UT Southwestern, UCLA, Wilmer, Emory, Yale, UC davis, tufts, casey, wisconsin, vanderbilt, Rush, Iowa, Mass Eye and Ear, UCSF, Cleveland clinic, beaumont,

anyone hear from Wills or Wash U yet? also heard Duke has given out some interview spots and may add some more.....

Wash U has not decided whom to interview yet, per their coordinator. I got similar information on Duke--some invites, but may not be finished. Also, in case anyone's interested, the RSA program in Birmingham (Dr. Morris) has also not decided yet.

Wash U has not decided whom to interview yet, per their coordinator. I got similar information on Duke--some invites, but may not be finished. Also, in case anyone's interested, the RSA program in Birmingham (Dr. Morris) has also not decided yet.

Speaking of Birmingham...those of you interested in Retina should ask your local Alcon rep who does the highest volume of retina cases in the country. Surprisingly, they will tell you Birmingham, AL.

New York Eye and Ear Infirmary vs. Kresge in Detroit
Both interviews are on the same day.
Anyone that knows anything about these programs... thoughts?

I am also wondering if anyone can give me more info. on NYEE, esp. anybody who interviewed there last year.

The program doesn't look promising according to their website:

"The Retina Service accommodates approximately 4,500 patient visits per year, in addition to performing approximately 50 ERGs, 1,000 angiograms and 1,400 laser treatments. Service Surgery accounts for approximately 200 vitrectomy procedures, 150 scleral buckles and 100 cryopexies per year"

I think 200 vits a year is a low number esp. with three attendings and how many vits will the fellow get to do ???

Oh maybe their numbers are low because they dont have a VA to cover :laugh:

I am also wondering if anyone can give me more info. on NYEE, esp. anybody who interviewed there last year.

The program doesn't look promising according to their website:

"The Retina Service accommodates approximately 4,500 patient visits per year, in addition to performing approximately 50 ERGs, 1,000 angiograms and 1,400 laser treatments. Service Surgery accounts for approximately 200 vitrectomy procedures, 150 scleral buckles and 100 cryopexies per year"

I think 200 vits a year is a low number esp. with three attendings and how many vits will the fellow get to do ???

Oh maybe their numbers are low because they dont have a VA to cover :laugh:

From what I have heard, it is an everage fellowship, but the best of all of them in NYC.

Heard today from:
1. Univ of Pittsburgh (phone)
2. BMG NRI (email)

WashU/Barnes will send invitations end of this week.

Received word today that I have been switched to the 11/5 date for Vandy. :D

Here's a question to which I cannot get consensus...

Should we get our advocates to call on our behalf:

a) Prior to interview invitations,

b) After invitation, but before interview, or

c) After the interview ??

your input is appreciated

thanks

Here's a question to which I cannot get consensus...

Should we get our advocates to call on our behalf:

a) Prior to interview invitations,

b) After invitation, but before interview, or

c) After the interview ??

your input is appreciated

thanks

That's a tough one. From what I've heard, having someone call prior to an interview offer is probably not a good idea. That may result in an insincere interview offer (i.e., a favor with no intention of ranking). I would let them invite you on the merits of your application, then have the call be made either prior to or immediately after the interview. Of course, if it's made too far after, the rank list may already be set.

Speaking of Birmingham...those of you interested in Retina should ask your local Alcon rep who does the highest volume of retina cases in the country. Surprisingly, they will tell you Birmingham, AL.

Volume is important but the quality of instruction is also very important.

Volume is important but the quality of instruction is also very important.

An excellent point..you want high volume with good surgical instruction and attendings that you get along with well.

does any body know much about u louisville, u florida jacksonville, lahey?
has anybody heard from UCSD, UCI, or barnes yet?

Univ of louisville is a relative new program but sounds like its a good place to train, "visionary" can give you more info.

I am going to florida jacksonville too but have no idea about that program.

Barnes was suppose to send interviews last week, no idea about UCI or UCSD

Interview update: Columbia U by email today - anybody has any info about surgical numbers or training there - I know Stanley Chang is there.

thanks.

Hi guys. New to the club. To answer the last question, UCSD sent out an email yesterday for invites. They're doing 3 interview dates: 11/5, 11/26, and 11/30.

any body have any info on northwestern?

1 fellow per year. First year is mostly clinical, in the downtown office near Northwestern Hospital. This is when you work with Lee Jampol, but not exclusively as time is also spent with Dr. Lyon and Dr. Gill. There is a medical retina fellow (who does not take call)there as well. There is a smattering of surgery the first year with Dr. Lyon and Gill, but not a lot of cases by any means.

Second year is spent doing a fair amountof surgery, but it is primarily with volunteer clinical faculty (private practice guys). There is a lot of driving to various offices in the suburbs. I think the surgical experience depends a lot which attending you are with on any given day, most of them are good from what I hear. For example, you might have cases in the morning in one of the northern suburns (45 minutes drive), and then have clinic in the afternoon with Dr. Gill downtown. The same goes for call with fellows having to cover call periodically for these suburban practices.

Dr. Lyon was pleasant, but is somewhat research focused and I think might actually base her decision on what fellow to pick, at least partly, on the prospect of that fellow doing research and bringing in grant money.

Overall its a good fellowship, in my opinion. The facilities are nice. The surgical numbers are probably slightly above average. Chicago is a great city. The fellowship with Kirk Packo is probably better surgically, but working with Lee Jampol would be awesome too, and you would see things referred in that you will never see again throughout your career.

BTW, the secretary there who managed the applications and interview day, if its the same person, was a real ditz. The current fellow I believe is a nice guy, from lexington, ky (which has a good fellowship too).

Wildcats play today at 11 am. Go Cats!

Just thought I would let you know some inside info from a former chicago resident. Kirk Packo's fellowship at Rush is by FAR the best fellowship in the city. It is private practice but there is academic exposure with the Rush residents, surgery, grand rounds etc..

Packo is an amazing surgeon and teacher. Illinois Retina group is the number one retina practice in the city and has top notch staff, Jack Cohen, Matt MacCumber, Pauline Merrill, John Pollack, Joe Civantos all wilmer, duke, balyor and bascom trained.

Lee Jampol is NOT a very nice person, ask his residents and fellows. He is a A-hole from personal experience and a nightmare to work with. Northwestern has the name but I dont think the fellow gets the surgical volume or teaching to compete with the RUsh program.

hope it helps

G

Just thought I would let you know some inside info from a former chicago resident. Kirk Packo's fellowship at Rush is by FAR the best fellowship in the city. It is private practice but there is academic exposure with the Rush residents, surgery, grand rounds etc..

Packo is an amazing surgeon and teacher. Illinois Retina group is the number one retina practice in the city and has top notch staff, Jack Cohen, Matt MacCumber, Pauline Merrill, John Pollack, Joe Civantos all wilmer, duke, balyor and bascom trained.

Lee Jampol is NOT a very nice person, ask his residents and fellows. He is a A-hole from personal experience and a nightmare to work with. Northwestern has the name but I dont think the fellow gets the surgical volume or teaching to compete with the RUsh program.

hope it helps

G

Very subtle...:laugh:

Packo's fellowship is definitely better, no question...but NU's fellowship is still a decent one for those of you applying.

Does anyone know anything about the NY programs. I know the Columbia program is supposed to be pretty strong with Chang, but what about NYEEI and Cornell? Any word on those two?

Is anyone else interviewing at Tufts/NEEC 10/26 and then NYEEI 10/27? If so, how are you planning on pulling off the transportation between the two?

The NYEEI dinner is supposedly mandatory, but there is really no way to get there on time.

Dear All

I would like some input on what matters to get a good retina fellowship

I am a foriegn medical graduate who has done a residency and retina training in a foriegn country

I am presently in a resdiency in the US. It is not a "big name program"

I have fair amount of research, I can get good letters (I think) and I have good OKAP scores. What else can I do or should do to make my application more competitive.

How much is being a FMG and also not coming from a high power program be a negative for me.

How much research matters ?
How important are OKAP scores ?

I really appreciate any input or advice

Thanks