Retinal hemifields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bathrover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2014-12-3_20-57-57.png

From this image I can tell the optic disk is at the cross section of Y and Z but how come line W separates the hemiretinal fields (nasal and temporal)?
So this is image of the left eye and left of W (towards letter Z on image) would view temporal visual field and right of W would view nasal visual field?
Can someone explain it?

Wouldn't line Y separate the two retinal fields of vision?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused by your question but from the orientation you provided, left of W would receive information from nasal side of your view and vice versa. Remember that the temporal side of each eye "sees" the nasal side of your view.

Reactions: 1 user
Which line separates the temporal and nasal retinal hemifields, is it line Y, V, or W. I thought it was line Y since that is the left eye..

Members don't see this ad :)
are you asking where on the retina does it switch from nasal to temporal information? there is no clear boundary and I've never seen it asked before but it should be somewhere near the optic disc (but not at the disc because remember that it is slightly deviated from the center) So I guess V would be a reasonable choice. I'm not 100% sure though

Which line separates the temporal and nasal retinal hemifields, is it line Y, V, or W. I thought it was line Y since that is the left eye..
I don't know but this might help (or not): The hemiretinas are in relation to the fovea, not the optic disk. The nasal hemiretina is medial to the fovea and the temporal hemiretina is lateral to the fovea.

Source: Kandel - Principles of Neural Science http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/HomePage/Class/Psy394U/Hayhoe/IntroSensoryMotorSystems/week1/Pages from Kandel - Principles of Neural Science Ch 27.pdf

So the intersection of the lines Z and W is the fovea (those dots on image), so this is the left eye looking towards the nose... and thus line W separates the temporal and nasal retinal fields...?

Retina%20normal%20Master%20Eye%20Associates%20eye%20care-resized-600.jpg

Compared to this image, the left eye as well. I guess what is confusing in the orginal image is that the fovea is at the edge of what is being shown.

I don't know but this might help (or not): The hemiretinas are in relation to the fovea, not the optic disk. The nasal hemiretina is medial to the fovea and the temporal hemiretina is lateral to the fovea.

Source: Kandel - Principles of Neural Science http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/HomePage/Class/Psy394U/Hayhoe/IntroSensoryMotorSystems/week1/Pages from Kandel - Principles of Neural Science Ch 27.pdf

And that's because the fovea is what corresponds to the center of your visual field. The optic disk corresponds to the blind spot.

Slide3.jpg

Retina%20normal%20Master%20Eye%20Associates%20eye%20care-resized-600.jpg

Compared to this image, the left eye as well. I guess what is confusing in the orginal image is that the fovea is at the edge of what is being shown.
How is that confusing? They haven't shown the entire dilated ophthalmoscope image in your original post.

How is that confusing? They haven't shown the entire dilated ophthalmoscope image in your original post.

Exactly, it is clear that the original picture is just zoomed in.

Reactions: 1 users