C

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21664943-computers-can-recognise-complication-diabetes-can-lead-blindness-now

Is this beginning of the end for doctors? Will there be any need for doctors in near future when artificial intelligence is making advances like this?
This is a pretty small quick exam, and unless a computer can do this accurately for pennies on the dollar nobody is going to care-- it won't be cost effective. It's interesting that after making some pretty grandiose claims, AI has basically retreated from the bigger medical tasks, where they have failed miserably, to try to show some value in a much more insignificant role. Probably stockholders are getting antsy that after so much time and money, all these machines seem to be good at is jeopardy and video games. I see this minor optho play as just a way for the companies to show some real world value, however minor. We will all be coming to work in self driving cars decades before this recognition software plays any real role.

ZX10R

5+ Year Member
May 29, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Its over, just quit med school now.

Dave89

ACCOUNT ON HOLD
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2012
The Camp of the Saints
Status
Medical Student
Time to change ROAD to RAD! Sounds cooler anyways.

operaman

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When the computer can actually do a good fundoscopic exam, then I'll be impressed.

And then I'll ask it to teach ME how to do a good fundoscopic exam....

Reactions: CodeRedDew

Donald Juan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2011
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
People are in denial if they don't realize we're all done for. Remember how their used to be cardiologists and now EKGs are just read by computers? Even surgeons aren't safe because more and more surgeries are being done by robots.

Of course, losing your job will be the least of your worries when the robot apocalypse (or robocalypse, if you prefer) occurs. As more and more humans are sheltered underground in the war against machines I predict that primary care like FM and EM will start becoming more and more in demand.

Reactions: mmmcdowe

MikeSimouns

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Even if this robot going to bloom I still prepare the human doctor because they are the best and has a heart doing the surgery.