Computers can now diagnose Diabetic Retinopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dock1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.economist.com/news/scien...-complication-diabetes-can-lead-blindness-now

Is this beginning of the end for doctors? Will there be any need for doctors in near future when artificial intelligence is making advances like this?
This is a pretty small quick exam, and unless a computer can do this accurately for pennies on the dollar nobody is going to care-- it won't be cost effective. It's interesting that after making some pretty grandiose claims, AI has basically retreated from the bigger medical tasks, where they have failed miserably, to try to show some value in a much more insignificant role. Probably stockholders are getting antsy that after so much time and money, all these machines seem to be good at is jeopardy and video games. I see this minor optho play as just a way for the companies to show some real world value, however minor. We will all be coming to work in self driving cars decades before this recognition software plays any real role.

Its over, just quit med school now.

Time to change ROAD to RAD! Sounds cooler anyways.

When the computer can actually do a good fundoscopic exam, then I'll be impressed.

And then I'll ask it to teach ME how to do a good fundoscopic exam....

Reactions: 1 user
oh no time to drop out of med school lol

People are in denial if they don't realize we're all done for. Remember how their used to be cardiologists and now EKGs are just read by computers? Even surgeons aren't safe because more and more surgeries are being done by robots.

Of course, losing your job will be the least of your worries when the robot apocalypse (or robocalypse, if you prefer) occurs. As more and more humans are sheltered underground in the war against machines I predict that primary care like FM and EM will start becoming more and more in demand.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if this robot going to bloom I still prepare the human doctor because they are the best and has a heart doing the surgery.