Quantcast

retinoid questions from patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently doing my outpt family practice rotation during intern year. And i am learning to deal with common skin questions that i am not sure about. Pts often come in with acne, and we usually prescribe some form of topical retinoids. Often, the female patients will then ask if certain cleansers and/or make up would work better with topical retin a. And i really dont know what to say. Do some cleansers/make up dry up a face more when using retin a? is a mild cleanser the way to go? any advice on recommending cetaphil vs neutrogena vs clinique? and clinique has their clarifying tonor, which i'm not sure if that goes with retin a or not. any advice will be appreciated. ive never used retin a, so cant really give them advice based on personal experience. what make up/facial cleansers do derms use themselves? i apologize if this question does not meet the requirements of the forum.

Eta Carinae

Removed
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am a gas applicant and have no experience in derm besides my two week rotation in med school (which basically covered N2 ad nauseum for AKs :D). I am only speaking from my experience.

Dude, I like swear by retinoids. I use a very mild OTC retinoid every night. That stuff works like magic for my particular issues with oily skin and it also does wonders for pores.

I find the clinique astringents etc only do the job for like 5 mins but retinoids last a little longer.

I started with Accutane- that was too strong. Went down to 0.1% Tretinoin (Dermatologist's prescription required) and that was still too strong. and finally found the right fit with an OTC night lotion.

Only problem with retinoids as you know is that UV rays degrade the molecule and nullify the effect. So best to use at night or with sunscreen in daytime (if daytime use is unavoidable)- in my experience.

This is not intended to supplant any medical advice from the experts on this forum or from your dermatologist. just thought I'd share my experience.

FYI: I worked very closely with my dermatologist to find the right product for me. Took a few years and God bless her for her patience but I'm there. I wouldn't experiment with retinoids without a dermatologist's guidance.

N-Surge

Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum is not for medical advice. Please ask you local physician for medical advice. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.