Retirement for prior service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

11BtoMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so as the title said I am prior service Army Enlisted 7ish years. with the change in retirement benefits last year I don't know how it would effect retirement if I went back in to the military now. if any S1 gurus or people who went through similar issues can help please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know. But if I had to guess, I'd say that you'd automatically be in the new BRS system since you'd be joining under a new contract/separate enlistment. And I believe anyone that joined after January 2017 was automatically enrolled in the BRS. Your time in service would still go towards 20 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know. But if I had to guess, I'd say that you'd automatically be in the new BRS system since you'd be joining under a new contract/separate enlistment. And I believe anyone that joined after January 2017 was automatically enrolled in the BRS. Your time in service would still go towards 20 years.

That would be my guess as well.

Your AMEDD recruiter 'should' know for sure or at least know who to ask at HRC.

Retirement choice is based on one’s DIEMS (Date of Initial Entry to Military Service). This date does not change with a break in service and therefore you would almost assuredly fall under the legacy plan.

Edited to add link:

Reactions: 5 users