Retroactive Pass/Fail of English 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

live911wire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attempted to search the forums thoroughly prior to posting but could not find anything that would directly answer my question.

A few semesters ago I took English 1, and did not do so well (B-). Considering it is technically a pre-requisite for application, would it be unfavorable to have it show up as "P" instead of the letter grade. It would help my GPA a lot.

[I took English 2 the next semester and got an A.]

If you do not recommend making it pass/fail, what would be a good class to take that to show I know my English and can write cohesive essays. Would any writing intensive class suffice?

Thanks a million. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The fact that you took English 2 and got an A should be enough for adcoms to know you can write essays (you will also have to write a personal statement as well as secondary essays when you apply). However, I wouldn't change the grade to a pass. If I saw that I would assume you got a C, which looks much worse than a B-. Just keep taking classes and getting A's in them, that will help your gpa. 1 B- shouldn't hurt you at all in the long run.

Which accredited school allows someone to switch a course to pass/fail after grades have been assigned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which accredited school allows someone to switch a course to pass/fail after grades have been assigned?

A few accredited schools do allow for retroactive withdrawls but I'm not so sure any allow retroactive grade-switching. Medical schools will see that you earned a B- and there isn't really much you can do about that apart from taking more English/humanities courses and getting higher marks. If I may offer you a piece of advice, focusing less on the grades you earn and more on the learning process will make likely college a more rewarding intellectual experience for you.

I highly doubt you can do that if you took the course a few semesters ago.

You earned the grade you earned. Live with it. Would you really be proud of an artificially boosted GPA? I would be embarrassed to claim my GPA was something it wasn't.

Your GPA is fine with a B. Besides does your school even allow P/F on an intro course? Mine won't let you unless it is a 300 level course outside your major.

You earned the grade you earned. Live with it. Would you really be proud of an artificially boosted GPA? I would be embarrassed to claim my GPA was something it wasn't.

Yes, yes I would. It's called being smart.

A "B" is perfectly fine. While, yes, you may be able to artificially inflate your GPA but a retroactive P/F, this seems a bit pointless.... Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to make ANY significant difference.

Being smart is getting the A in the first place. What he proposes is not being smart, it is being dishonorable, deceitful, and spineless.

If his school allows it its not dishonest or spineless, its playing your cards right to give you the maximum advantage, which is smart.