Return to pharmacy in the future. Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Havequestion

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am accepted to pharmacy program this cycle but I am scared of the future since I only planned to work as a retail pharmacist.

My questions are:

Is it possible to return to pharmacy school if I choose to try something else and things don’t work out well?

Do I have to retake classes as if they expire since I got my BS in 2016?

Members don't see this ad.

you can email them and ask to defer your offer. I think most schools would allow deferment at least for one year.

but honestly, if you are dead sure u wanna do this, do it ASAP cuz each year the glut gets worse and tuition gets higher.

and since you just wanna do retail, you don't have to do well in classes. just cram enough to pass all classes, graduate, pass the board then start working. it actually is quite easy and won't consume too?much of your time. you can still do whatever you wanna do during the school so that you won't miss out anything.

Thanks for the advice. I think asking for a deferral seems like a logical move. However, would it be deemed an unprofessional move from the school’s point of view?

I consider myself quite versatile in terms of science and maths related capabilities. This seems like a good thing but it actually gives me the difficulty choosing a path, probably due to the fear of missing out, I think.

I don’t think that I am that excellent to work on 2 things at the same time especially with pharmacy school. I am pretty much an above average jack of all trades. When it comes to education, I think it’s best to focus on one thing to reduce the time to master it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I think asking for a deferral seems like a logical move. However, would it be deemed an unprofessional move from the school’s point of view?

I consider myself quite versatile in terms of science and maths related capabilities. This seems like a good thing but it actually gives me the difficulty choosing a path, probably due to the fear of missing out, I think.

I don’t think that I am that excellent to work on 2 things at the same time especially with pharmacy school. I am pretty much an above average jack of all trades. When it comes to education, I think it’s best to focus on one thing to reduce the time to master it.

No, not at all. Once they accept you, they will start to consider you as a current student, no longer an applicant. Even medical schools allow offer deferral, let alone pharmacy. Give them a good reason, and I am sure they will accept it.

Honestly, don't sell yourself short. I would recommend you to make some quality friends during orientation weeks and form a study group. Pharmacy school isn't that hard at all actually, as long as you manage your time well.

But I think the real issue you need to consider is the amount of debt associated with this offer. If tuition is too high, the cost of attending may far outweigh any benefit of this path. So it really comes down to you to decide how much you are willing to pay for the degree itself.

Last edited:
Pharmacy schools are likely here to stay for a while, so I would do something else and come back to pharmacy if everything else does not work out. It's very hard to reverse $200k+ in debt and 4 years of lost time.

I am accepted to pharmacy program this cycle but I am scared of the future

Is it possible to return to pharmacy school if I choose to try something else

Yes it’s possible to return (deferral).

But you said it yourself...Your scared of the future so either your ill prepared or it’s something else....listen to your gut

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacy schools are likely here to stay for a while, so I would do something else and come back to pharmacy if everything else does not work out. It's very hard to reverse $200k+ in debt and 4 years of lost time.

Not all pharm schools are that expensive~ only private ones and those ca schools charge >40k a year.
Some schools in Texas are notoriously cheap, just to mind you.

And to mind you again, it is never gonna be 4 years of lost time, unless someone knows absolutely nothing about what he/she is doing. I personally know someone in my class who started a web design consulting company while he was in school, and we are just about to start appe rotations. From his perspective, nothing was lost. He started his own business, made a bunch of future business contacts and clients while in school, and will also get his not-so-expensive pharmd degree. It's all possible, just need to plan well and be smart about it.

Last edited: