Return to school full time vs part time as non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GreenDuck12

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I've been reading the forums and researching options to back to school to complete the pre-med requirements. What I've been trying to figure out if it whether it is important, or if medical schools care, if an applicant completes the requirements as a full-time student or as a part-time student while working full-time?

Currently, I work as a teacher and support my spouse is in veterinary school. With my current schedule, I would only be able to take two classes at a time during the fall and spring, and accelerated classes in the summer. The problem (that I see and please correct me if I am wrong) is that medical schools would not be able to see how I handle a "full load" of science classes at once. Could this hinder an application to medical school?

The other option is to stop working as a teacher (at some point) and take classes full-time to complete the requirements and perhaps a cellular and molecular biology degree. The downside to this is that I would need to wait a couple years until my spouse finished veterinary school and found a job (so we both don't lose health insurance). Would an admissions committee view an applicant returning full time more favorably than one who completes classes with working?

The classes that I plan on taking are:
-Pre-calculus
-Calc 1
-Calc 2
-Gen chem 1 and 2
-Orgo 1 and 2
-Bio 1 and 2
-Phys 1 and 2
-Genetics
-Molecular bio
-Biochemistry

In terms of my background I have a degree from a public research university in comparative literature/philosophy/spanish with a 3.7 gpa, graduated cum laude, phi beta kappa, etc. Additionally, I have a Ed.M (Master of Education) degree from a large private school in Boston with a 3.8 gpa.
 
Hey,
I've been reading the forums and researching options to back to school to complete the pre-med requirements. What I've been trying to figure out if it whether it is important, or if medical schools care, if an applicant completes the requirements as a full-time student or as a part-time student while working full-time?

Currently, I work as a teacher and support my spouse is in veterinary school. With my current schedule, I would only be able to take two classes at a time during the fall and spring, and accelerated classes in the summer. The problem (that I see and please correct me if I am wrong) is that medical schools would not be able to see how I handle a "full load" of science classes at once. Could this hinder an application to medical school?

The other option is to stop working as a teacher (at some point) and take classes full-time to complete the requirements and perhaps a cellular and molecular biology degree. The downside to this is that I would need to wait a couple years until my spouse finished veterinary school and found a job (so we both don't lose health insurance). Would an admissions committee view an applicant returning full time more favorably than one who completes classes with working?

The classes that I plan on taking are:
-Pre-calculus
-Calc 1
-Calc 2
-Gen chem 1 and 2
-Orgo 1 and 2
-Bio 1 and 2
-Phys 1 and 2
-Genetics
-Molecular bio
-Biochemistry

In terms of my background I have a degree from a public research university in comparative literature/philosophy/spanish with a 3.7 gpa, graduated cum laude, phi beta kappa, etc. Additionally, I have a Ed.M (Master of Education) degree from a large private school in Boston with a 3.8 gpa.
As long as you complete the courses with the grades you need, most Adcoms realize the situation for someone actually working to support themselves and a family full time is a bit different from the average pre-med who has never had to support him or herself in his or her life, and will take that into account when reviewing your application. If you can work part of the way toward completing your courses while working, and then have a semester or two between when you can quit work (your spouse finishes school and is earning money) and when you apply to take courses full time, that could get you in the door sooner, and still allow you to demonstrate your ability to succeed with full-time courses.
 
As long as you complete the courses with the grades you need, most Adcoms realize the situation for someone actually working to support themselves and a family full time is a bit different from the average pre-med who has never had to support him or herself in his or her life, and will take that into account when reviewing your application. If you can work part of the way toward completing your courses while working, and then have a semester or two between when you can quit work (your spouse finishes school and is earning money) and when you apply to take courses full time, that could get you in the door sooner, and still allow you to demonstrate your ability to succeed with full-time courses.

I second this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree- keep the grades up, don't worry about how long it takes you. I definitely had to do this but with more of an academic repair mindset, and I had to do it part-time as I funded myself completely. It would have been near to impossible to do otherwise.