Returning Lost Children

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, okay, it's just a stethoscope. But it's a Littman Cardiology III, and worth like $130. I found it four or five weeks back in the trauma room; initially I left it there, as this is the best way for lost stuff to get back to its owner. But when it was still there two weeks later, I thought action was needed.

So I put it up just outside the Pit, by the bulletin board, with a little note: "Yours? Please claim! Found approx (date), been in (room) for 2 wks, if not claimed by (date 2 weeks in future) I'm thinking about taking it home."

A few days later, it's hanging deep within the Pit, where only doctors roam, without the note.

Hey, I'm an impoverished student. This is nicer than mine. And the note is the only practical way to communicate. We have rotating students, consulting teams, and staff who come in once a month for a few days. No name tag, no identifying marks.

So... have I broken some mysterious rule or tradition? Will it hang there forever? Is there a theoretical point where I've done all I can to be an honorable guy, and I can take the Littman home with a clean conscience?

(Actually, I wouldn't keep it; it's nicer than what I have, but not so nice I can overlook the little things I would want different, if I were to order one of my own. I'd donate it to my classmate who does charity care... seriously!)

How do you handle this situation, in your ED?

Members don't see this ad.

You put up a note, you waited several weeks to see if anyone claimed it. I would say you have a new stethoscope.

People who don't label their stethoscopes don't get to complain if it doesn't get returned when they leave it somewhere.

Same as the rule that applies to the food in the break room refridgerator: No name, fair game!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my name ENGRAVED on the top of my Master Cardiology. I set it down under a desk so it was hidden while I went to suture for 15 minutes. Came back and it was stolen. I even put up a note with a $20 reward for its return.

Why the hell do people steal these things?

It's clear to me that your only recourse is to give it to me.

Lost stethoscopes at my old ED became community property. At any given time we had about 4-6 Littmans of various colors and models hanging on a hallway O2 regulator. The ED staff would all use them. So, when ever the original owner would return, (usually never) it was usually there waiting. Of course, everyone working in our hospital was being paid. (no students)

Best label I've seen, "The owner of this scope has ear mites. Please return it to 4 West in a ziploc bag. Thanks!"

Hmm. Maybe it became community property, and that's why it was moved...

Lost stethoscopes at my old ED became community property. At any given time we had about 4-6 Littmans of various colors and models hanging on a hallway O2 regulator. The ED staff would all use them. So, when ever the original owner would return, (usually never) it was usually there waiting. Of course, everyone working in our hospital was being paid. (no students)

Best label I've seen, "The owner of this scope has ear mites. Please return it to 4 West in a ziploc bag. Thanks!"
We have community property scopes too.

And for some unknown reason, one or two docs think my scope is the best thing since sliced bread.

So I took the earmite advice thing from a classmate. I didn't put a note on it-I actually took a grease pencil/sharpie combo and doodled in some suspicious looking debris.

Now it never leaves my side, even when I hide it on the anesthesia cart while I go to open the OR or whatever. heh.