Returning pre-optometry student..Need few advices..

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JinTaek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

As you see my account, I tried to go into optometry school few years ago (about 5 years ago?). Due to family/financial issue, I had to pause my dream for a while.

I have been working right after I took my first/last OAT. Some stuffs happened during the time I was studying for OAT so obviously I didn't get a great score on it.

I started my job as Quality Control and made around $30k for a year. Then I got into IT company and now I'm making around $60k+bonus salary which is not bad at all. Currently I am 28 years old and I have 0 loans(except my car), $4000 savings, and about $10k in 401k.

I do not have any stress working right now. I'm basically happy. However I'm not feeling comfortable about the future. I know the fact that I do not want to do my job for my entire life. Family/financial issue has been resolved so I have decided that I am going to try Optometry once again in my life. So here is my current background/experience:

Graduated in 2011 with Zoology Degree 2.955 overall GPA.
(Missing 1 pre-req: Biochemistry. *2 pre-reqs if animal anatomy physiology doesn't count as Physiology)
~100 hours of shadowing experience in 2011~2012
2 year work experience in Service (Restaurant Server/cashier)
1 year work experience in Quality Control (Foil Company)
2+ year work experience in IT Consulting (IT Quality Assurance/IT Business Analyst)

Took OAT once - Was not impressing score. Most like will take it again.

I would be stupid to quit my current job and go for optometry. So I decided to maybe take night classes or study for OAT after work. However, I'm not sure what else I would need to get into optometry school.

My current plan is study OAT after work every day for 3 month and take one end of this year and see how good I can do. But I feel like great OAT score would not be enough. I would appreciate it if you guys have any advices I can take to prepare for optometry school.

Thank you very much.
Jin

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in applying I would say do it. Look into the schools you want to apply to and make sure your prerequisites will be finished by the time you would matriculate. Also see what is required as far as letters of recommendation since you haven't been working in the optical field. Any school is going to want to see the passion that you have for optometry so make sure your personal statement reflects that. A good OAT score will help a lot as well. If this is what you want to do don't let anything hold you back! Good luck!

I say you should go for it, if that is what you really want to do. I would advise that you check your pre-reqs to be sure that they are up-to-date. OAT score plays a part, but not as much as you think. Be sure to have a great personal statement and great interview skills as well.