Returning to Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueToothHunter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I am pretty close to being done with my residency in the U.S. But I am having second thoughts about staying in the U.S. afterwards. I think I would like to return to Australia. I kept my Australian license (NSW) alive and paid annual dues for the past five years! If I go home now, I will be starting from scratch again. Most of my family is not in NSW anymore. Most of my friends that I kept in touch with have moved on with their lives. The thought of starting over is a little hard to swallow but when you think about the lifestyle it's something I look forward to!

I did obtain my US professional license while I was here. The next step is to apply for the permanent residency. Apparently it's not too hard for professionals save for the mountains of paperwork and legal fees!

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my time in the US and have plenty of friends. I'm still single and 30'sh and perhaps long hours of work and loneliness has made me more cynical over the years?

I checked out an advert out of Northern Beaches of Sydney... clicked on the picture of a beautiful beach and I fell in love instantly!

Oh gosh, there are things you miss that you thought you'd never miss! This must mean that I am getting nostalgic!

Thank goodness for the internet... and for Australia!

Members don't see this ad.

o_O

Single Doctor? But isn't that an oxymoron?

LOL..j/k. The stereotype is hard to shake though. Usually girls turn out to med fraternity dances in droves.

Okay, back on topic. I think that if I was originally from Canada and went to US for residency, I'd get homesick too, even though I think I'm quite flexible and don't get attached to places too easily. There's just nothing like home is there? Just out of curiousity, what about the US didn't appeal to you as much as Aus. I assume family is not a big factor in returning since you said most of your family is not in Aus any more?

Cheers

Having a lot of friends and being lonely is kind of an oxymoron. Anyhow going back will be an adjustment. I did the reverse, left the USA and came to Oz, going back to the US seems to be less desirable these days. You will probably have to repeat your training to become fully registered in Australia.