Reuse PS or start fresh??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LVT2DVM

UGA-CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had my UGA file review today and as I expected. GRE, GRE, GRE...UGH! They had some really great things to say about my application. Namely, they really liked my personal statement. So, Im curious. Ive already revised the last paragraph since the last cycle (actually I revised it about 4 days after submission, when I had a "lightbulb" (hey they removed the cute little icon ??) with what I really wanted to say. Ive used the essay twice now (with slight revision but overall theme stayed the same), and had planned on writing something new. What would you do? Keep the same essay as last 2 cycles (Ive already decided to use the most up to date one...the one I revised 4 days after, because I really like the way it ends). Or, completely chuck it for something new and fresh and risk a :thumbdown: from the adcoms?

BTW. If anyone knows how to conjure a spell to invoke a genius spirit into my brain for 2 hours while I take the GRE..by all means PM ME! (okay for those who dont know Im joking here...IM ONLY JOKING!:p)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation, since this year is my second time applying (and hopefully my last!), but I'm planning to use the same personal statement as I used last year, except with a few revisions. After my file review, they told me that although I was a gifted writer, and my essay was wonderful (even though after reading it, I didn't think so!), I should probably add something to one of my paragraphs. And they said that it was up to me whether I wanted to use the same essay. So I ended up revising it, changing a few sentences here and there, and completely revamped that one paragraph, talking about an awesome experience I just had a couple of weeks ago.

If I really were in your situation, though, I guess I would write a new PS about different experiences while using a similar format as your old one (it makes things easier on you, and since you know that your format last year was successful, you can use your knowledge to your advantage to write another kick-ass essay!).

I read 250 PSs during an application cycle. I wouldn't know if I was reading one over again. I don't think there is any reason to chuck a PS you like. It is probably worth updating if you've had new experiences that make you a stronger candidate. It's good to incorporate any suggestions from your file reviews. That way you can address strengths or weaknesses identified..

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, here. I'll sit down and take the GRE for you and you write my personal statement for me, ok? My feedback was pretty opposite. :p

That's a good idea. You can have my GRE score! I don't need it anymore.

Ok, here. I'll sit down and take the GRE for you and you write my personal statement for me, ok? My feedback was pretty opposite. :p

Nyanko, If it wasnt totally against the law...You'd have yourself a DEAL! :smuggrin:

That's a good idea. You can have my GRE score! I don't need it anymore.

Did you ever post your stats...I dont remember reading yours?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's in the successful applicants thread.

Psssh... showoff.

I think I could use improvement in both areas, but I'm not sure yet since OKSU doesn't do "post-mortem" interviews until JUNE 15TH... grrgrrgrrr.

I'd re-use it, just make sure that it's better. Have 20 more people read it. Update experiences. Focus on what adcoms thought was neat during your interviews and during the post-thingy.

I'm reapplying, too. I think, if it worked great the last time, you should use the old one. That's what my advisor told me.
However, since I've had different types of experiences (both on the career track and personally) this year, I'm going to have to add quite a bit into that statement.

I kept the brainstorming that I used to make the original personal statement on my computer, so I won't have to start from scratch scratch, if I decide that the added parts don't flow with the rest of the essay. I wasn't being pessimistic. I also have my application essay information for undergrad. (This is a miracle, because I have children that move things around for 'efficiency' and reformat my harddrive on their schedule.) I have so much to talk about that it was like crowbarring a square peg into a round hole, the last time. :rolleyes:

Hope this next times the charm for you, LVT. :luck:

This is a miracle, because I have children that move things around for 'efficiency' and reformat my harddrive on their schedule.) I have so much to talk about that it was like crowbarring a square peg into a round hole, the last time. :rolleyes:

Hope this next times the charm for you, LVT. :luck:

Thanks Truth, your house sounds like mine. On that note, I didnt mention that they wondered why I didnt mention more extracurricular activites? My response was...I have a family, work full-time, school part-time; haha what are extracurricular activities? The reviewer said I should talk more about my family life. But Im already condensing 30 years of experiences into what, 500 characters. Where am I suppose put that. I was thinking about using the explanation section, but I always considered that an area where you talk about how you made improvements on short comings or learning issues..stuff like that.
Nothing like a little more pressure.

Thanks Truth, your house sounds like mine. On that note, I didnt mention that they wondered why I didnt mention more extracurricular activites? My response was...I have a family, work full-time, school part-time; haha what are extracurricular activities? The reviewer said I should talk more about my family life. But Im already condensing 30 years of experiences into what, 500 characters. Where am I suppose put that. I was thinking about using the explanation section, but I always considered that an area where you talk about how you made improvements on short comings or learning issues..stuff like that.
Nothing like a little more pressure.

I think you should absolutely put stuff about your family and situation (work full time, school part time, husband and 3 kids) into an explanation statement. Will help clarify certain things (like the absence of extracurriculars, since they are yours ECs. :p)

Or, to be checky, one could always list their family under the EC section. Heh. Maybe not.

I think you should absolutely put stuff about your family and situation (work full time, school part time, husband and 3 kids) into an explanation statement. Will help clarify certain things (like the absence of extracurriculars, since they are yours ECs. :p)

Or, to be checky, one could always list their family under the EC section. Heh. Maybe not.

Actually I think thats a fine idea, VAgirl and is probably exactly what they want. I tend to think more one-dimensionally about those things and didnt think about putting that stuff into those sections. I definately will do that. I love yalls advice...you guys are great.

Hah I love the idea of putting family life as an EC. This thread has been really helpful... This year is my 1st time applying and I have been hemming and hawing over getting started on my PS. Now I am starting to feel like I can begin writing the thing... These apps are so confusing, with all their different sections...

For example: where should I put, my 5 years of experience as a professional equestrian? I rode, trained and taught competitive h/j/eq riders for several years when I got out of college, and my experiences there are what got me interested in vet med (haha long story...)

So does that go in work experience? Animal experience? I am thinking animal experience as I have heard a couple of horror stories of adcomms not even LOOKING at the "work experience" section on people's apps (almost cost my friend a spot at Davis as she put her year of vet experience in the "work" section and they thought she had no vet work!!)

Any suggestions?

Also-- is it bad to mention in apps/interviews/PS that I had some negative vet experiences and those were something that pushed me toward pursuing vet med? Sort of a, build-a-better-mousetrap thing? Because if I'm honest, that's what happened, but I don't want to come across as arrogant or negative or :confused: !

For example: where should I put, my 5 years of experience as a professional equestrian? I rode, trained and taught competitive h/j/eq riders for several years when I got out of college, and my experiences there are what got me interested in vet med (haha long story...)

So does that go in work experience? Animal experience? I am thinking animal experience as I have heard a couple of horror stories of adcomms not even LOOKING at the "work experience" section on people's apps (almost cost my friend a spot at Davis as she put her year of vet experience in the "work" section and they thought she had no vet work!!)

Definitely under animal experience. In my opinion, the hierarchy goes vet experience > animal experience > work experience. So if you can stick it in multiple categories, stick it in the one highest up the hierarchy.

Also-- is it bad to mention in apps/interviews/PS that I had some negative vet experiences and those were something that pushed me toward pursuing vet med? Sort of a, build-a-better-mousetrap thing? Because if I'm honest, that's what happened, but I don't want to come across as arrogant or negative or :confused: !

I think it's all about how you tell the story. I say by all means put it in, but just be sure to have lots of people you know and trust read it and make sure they're getting the right interpretation from it.

Good luck!

I think it's all about how you tell the story. I say by all means put it in, but just be sure to have lots of people you know and trust read it and make sure they're getting the right interpretation from it.
[/quote]

I completely agree, you can (and often should) mention the negative, but do so for the right reasons - remember you want to show them why this piece of info makes you a better candidate after all.

I for exaple, mentioned 2 such (one bad vet exp. and a surgery I had that cost me a drop in GPA), and explained how they made me stronger (stress is the best teacher for dealing with the stress of vet school, I guess). My interviewers seemed to like it.

Study Kaplan. Retake the test after you've mastered the whole book.

I applaud your tenacity...

Study Kaplan. Retake the test after you've mastered the whole book.

I applaud your tenacity...

Thanks Pennvet. I have multiple study guides including Kaplan and Barrons. Im also using Number2.com as recommended by Truth74. The trick now is remembering all that stuff.