Reusing Supplemental Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knguyen2181

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I applied to UOP in the 2008 cycle. My reasons for attending UOP hasn't changed, so is it ok to reuse my supplemental essay. Or should I change it up and come up with something new?

Members don't see this ad.

That depends. I reused all of my essays from last app cycle again this year, but I specifically asked my interviewers/ADCOM members what I needed to improve upon and if they suggested rewriting my essays. Most of them said my essays were good but to focus on improving other things instead (interviewing, more volunteering, PCAT, etc). If you can, talk to an ADCOM member at the school and see if they can give you feedback from your last application on what you should improve upon. I will say, if you are submitting the same essay (and only do so if you feel it's a very strong essay or you were told by ADCOM that it was), you should have made great improvements on other portions of your app (LOR's, PCAT, or GPA). It is not a good idea to resubmit the same app without any improvements. After all, there's a reason that application got you waitlisted and/or rejected the first time (not trying to be harsh with this statement, I'm just blunt). I would at the very least revise it and get a fresh set of eyes to critique it for you this year though. Even though, I thought my essays were pretty well written, I got a different person to help revise them again this year and felt that it helped a lot. Just make sure you ask a friend that's an English major or good writer to help out with that ;).

That depends. I reused all of my essays from last app cycle again this year, but I specifically asked my interviewers/ADCOM members what I needed to improve upon and if they suggested rewriting my essays. Most of them said my essays were good but to focus on improving other things instead (interviewing, more volunteering, PCAT, etc). If you can, talk to an ADCOM member at the school and see if they can give you feedback from your last application on what you should improve upon. I will say, if you are submitting the same essay (and only do so if you feel it's a very strong essay or you were told by ADCOM that it was), you should have made great improvements on other portions of your app (LOR's, PCAT, or GPA). It is not a good idea to resubmit the same app without any improvements. After all, there's a reason that application got you waitlisted and/or rejected the first time (not trying to be harsh with this statement, I'm just blunt). I would at the very least revise it and get a fresh set of eyes to critique it for you this year though. Even though, I thought my essays were pretty well written, I got a different person to help revise them again this year and felt that it helped a lot. Just make sure you ask a friend that's an English major or good writer to help out with that ;).

Yes, I totally agree with your response.