Revenge of the Osteopaths!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are osteopaths considered inferior?

• Yes, justifiably.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Yes, but without good reason.

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No, rightfully so.

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No, but they should be.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In response to the resurrected thread from 2000, I am creating this poll.

Enjoy...

Members don't see this ad.

They seem to get a bad rap from certain people (usually those without exposure to DOs), and at best, they're considered equal to MDs. I've only worked with around 10-12 DOs (in pathology, medicine and psychiatry), but found all of them to be excellent physicians. No difference at all from their MD counterparts...you can't even tell, without looking at their nametag or white coat.

I would also like to invite written opinions, specifically about the disparity between MD and DO education.

To open the discussion, I would like to offer the following:

Despite their best efforts, the DO practitioners/hopefuls cannot make a legitimate argument that acceptance to osteopathic schools is as difficult as allopathic schools; it's just incorrect. That being said, I think it would be better to accept that SOME osteopath applicants are spill-overs from allopathic applications, but that the education is still valid and, after all, ends up in the right to practice medicine.

As for me, I voted "Yes, but without good reason" for a couple of reasons. First, its just like any political discussion: the radicals set the tone. People who vehemently promote and defend ideas like Cranial Theory are, in my mind, really doing a disservice to their profession. On that front, DO's who are perfectly good practioners are losing face and being subjected to a prejudice that is self-inflicted by certain other DO's. Second, I feel like the backlash concerning the "better diagnoses", "better patient care", and "higher standards" that certain DO's attribute to themselves is contributing to the portion of allopathic students/doctors that react negatively to DO's. To read some of the threads in the Osteopathic forum would have a person eventually believing that osteopaths are, in fact, God's personal creations.

Anyways, opinions are warmly welcomed.. I'm bored. :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Maxip
.. I'm bored. :sleep:

so am i of reading crap posts like this.

Care to elaborate?

can a mod please close this?

OK... I've hit a nerve. WHY?!

Though of course there will always be some DOs that are "better" (whatever that means) than some MDs, and vice versa, can't we just agree that, in general, they're the same?

Have you worked with many DOs?

Originally posted by Blade28
Though of course there will always be some DOs that are "better" (whatever that means) than some MDs, and vice versa, can't we just agree that, in general, they're the same?

Have you worked with many DOs?

Exactly! Its a profession like any other, subject to human variance. My only intent by my initial post was to articulate some of the reasons why I, as an allopathic student, was initially put off by osteopaths. Some of that is most definitely attributable to my own insecurities. Some of it wasn't.

In the end, we are ALL working our a$$es off for something we want to do, and it sure as hell isn't for the money! :laugh:

Playing Devil's advocate...

Exactly! Its a profession like any other, subject to human variance. My only intent by my initial post was to articulate some of the reasons why I, as an allopathic student, was initially put off by osteopaths. Some of that is most definitely attributable to my own insecurities. Some of it wasn't.

In the end, we are ALL working our a$$es off for something we want to do, and it sure as hell isn't for the money! :laugh:

Playing Devil's advocate...

I've met just as many MDs that prescribe the most expensive antibiotic to any patietn presenting with an obvious viral URI (thus contributing to the resistance we have now) that I have DOs that purport the benefits of cranial.

Q, DO

i second Robz request.

i agree with you Blade28.

why hasn't there been a thread discussing the average penis size of MDs vs average DO penis size?

i want to know who's bigger.

OK, the antibiotic thing is just stupid. Any physician worth his/her salt will know not to overuse antibiotics... but it IS a current problem, but I'm quite sure that its not limited to MD's. That aside... does cranial fix infections? Its a rhetorical question...

Second, why the hell is everyone ganging up on me? And what's with the obligatory penis comparison remark, it comes up in every MD vs. DO thread (not that that's what I want this to be).

For my money, MD's are hung like emus...:laugh:

Second, why the hell is everyone ganging up on me? And what's with the obligatory penis comparison remark, it comes up in every MD vs. DO thread (not that that's what I want this to be).

ganging up on you?...because this is a crap post.

penis comparison?...because it's analogous to the f-ing title of your thread...similar to every other thread regarding the topic.

night-night

Well, you're tough... that much is clear.

In fact, I'm outright intimidated by you.

Technically, you perhaps COULD compare penis sizes...just take a survey of the clog sizes that are purchased by MDs versus DOs (or MD students versus DO students).

OK, OK, enough silliness. :)

The point of the allopathic forum is not to attack other professionals, nor other students. If you want to do this sort of thing, you need to find another place to do it.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.