This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Probably was a former AOA TY that is now ACGME.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think @anatomy is right on. In 2020, all matches go through one ACGME system, so I dont think these spots will be exclusively, but probably mostly DO. Doing a TRI isnt necessarily a bad thing, some do a TRI before entering a program as PGY2, like Rads, Anesthesia, and others. I'll try to talk to my Dean next week and get his input

Reactions: 1 users
That is a TRI (or TRY) program. It is not the same thing as a TY (transitional year).

Very unclear if these programs will be honored the same as the existing ACGME TY programs.

Last edited:
That is a TRI (or TRY) program. It is not the same thing as a TY (transitional year).

Very unclear if these programs will be honored the same as the existing ACGME TY programs.
Why is it listed in ERAS as a transitional year then?

Why is it listed in ERAS as a transitional year then?

Very good question. I do know someone who soaped into a TRI after going unmatched... They likened it to a year of getting paid to be an intern, but time that would not be honored by any combined ACGME residency program. This person just finished their intern year in the ACGME program where they successfully matched during their TRI, a grand total of two intern years. Sure it might transition a resident into some specialties but not what this person wanted to do.

I would assume that since they're now called ACGME TYs they would be honored, but that explains why the current residents are all DOs. Consider emailing some residents there to get the full scoop.

Last edited:
Very good question. I do know someone who soaped into a TRI after going unmatched... They likened it to a year of getting paid to be an intern, but time that would not be honored by any combined ACGME residency program. This person just finished their intern year in the ACGME program where they successfully matched during their TRI, a grand total of two intern years. Sure it might transition a resident into some specialties but not what this person wanted to do.

I would assume that since they're now called ACGME TYs they would be honored, but that explains why the current residents are all DOs. Consider emailing some residents there to get the full scoop.

I mean... if they just converted then it would easily explain why the residents are all DOs....

If they are accredited by ACGME then they will be honored the same as any TY.

I mean... if they just converted then it would easily explain why the residents are all DOs....

If they are accredited by ACGME then they will be honored the same as any TY.
I spoke with my Dean and in 2020, TRIs that have applied and received ACGME accreditation should be listed on ERAS as TYs, and TRIs who dont will be closed. In 2020 this wont be an issue as there will be no more TRIs.