Reverse Discrimination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrOwnageMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will being a white male help my career opportunities in the future due to the reverse discrimination pharmacy (or health care as a whole) is continually seeing today?

Members don't see this ad.

According to a recent US Census Press Release:

Minorities, now roughly one-third of the U.S. population, are expected to become the majority in 2042, with the nation projected to be 54 percent minority in 2050. By 2023, minorities will comprise more than half of all children.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will being a white male help my career opportunities in the future due to the reverse discrimination pharmacy (or health care as a whole) is continually seeing today?

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but I think it is safe to say that reverse discrimination is not taking place in the pharmacy industry. In fact, pharmacies are hiring anyone that holds a pharmacy degree including those from oversees who must commit to a years worth of internship. With the shortage of pharmacies in the industry, race will not be something that holds you back as a pharmacist.

With most schools having a no preference policy it honestly doesn't matter, particularly since a lot of schools (particularly the ones here in Cali) have majority women of color anyway.

just a side note discrimination of any kind reverse or forward is still discrimination. the definition of discrimination is not prejudice toward or against a person or group based on them being women and/or from different ethnic origins.
So please let's call it discrimination
and secondly i really don't think gender and race are a big deal in pharmacy schools most ppl get in regardless, u just need the grades and all that jazz.

I'd like to think there is not discrimation involved with acceptance of students into pharmacy school. No real way to tell. With that being said, if you think more women are being accepted than men into pharmacy school, maybe women are just more driven in this field than men. Maybe asians are more driven than white people.

I think in regards to undergrad, there may be some discrimation when it comes to scholarships. I know for a fact i missed out on some when i was smarter than other students because they were first generation college students. Also, I was upset when it came down to the EFC. That whole situation was a joke. I'll stop there cause that whole thing makes me mad. :mad:

I know that this is the prepharm forum, but if you look at my original post it mentions nothing of getting accepted into pharm school due to reverse discrimination. I'm asking about future career opportunities and not school.

I'd like to think there is not discrimation involved with acceptance of students into pharmacy school. No real way to tell. With that being said, if you think more women are being accepted than men into pharmacy school, maybe women are just more driven in this field than men. Maybe asians are more driven than white people.

I think in regards to undergrad, there may be some discrimation when it comes to scholarships. I know for a fact i missed out on some when i was smarter than other students because they were first generation college students. Also, I was upset when it came down to the EFC. That whole situation was a joke. I'll stop there cause that whole thing makes me mad. :mad:

Edit for OP: What I am saying could be the same for acceptance to pharmacy school as well as being hired as a pharmacist. The second part of my post was just me ranting.

i know that it seems like "minorities" seem to get a lot of assistance in trying to accomplish their education, but you also have to take a look at the advantages that you have that they never had.

i'm lucky to have been given the opportunity to fail and get up again, and to succeed without any major negative impact.

No. Black males like me will take your job.

i know that it seems like "minorities" seem to get a lot of assistance in trying to accomplish their education, but you also have to take a look at the advantages that you have that they never had.

i'm lucky to have been given the opportunity to fail and get up again, and to succeed without any major negative impact.

I'm not really sure of these advantages you speak of. Only 1 parent in my family worked, i have 3 siblings, i went to the same schools as wealthy kids as well as people living in the trailer park down the street... I pay for my education out of pocket. I delivered newspapers growing up to make cash and then my first job was cleaning tables. Those are all things everyone has the opportunity to do. Unless you're saying because someone is black(white or whatever) they can't work as a table cleaner or deliver papers so that qualifies them as a minority deserving of grants or special scholarships?

Or is it that only kids living with a single parent are the only ones that deserve assistance? Or kids that have parents on drugs? This line drawn that seperates everyone is extremely vague. I just dont think a parents income should be the main factor effecting a students right to financial aid. Plus consider the fact that state universities charge so much for tuition. That's not right to begin with, state universities are supposed to be paid mainly by the state. At what point did these state universities stop being institutions of higher learning and become big business?

Anyway, i love a good discussion like this, lol, one sided or not.

I'm not really sure of these advantages you speak of. Only 1 parent in my family worked, i have 3 siblings, i went to the same schools as wealthy kids as well as people living in the trailer park down the street... I pay for my education out of pocket. I delivered newspapers growing up to make cash and then my first job was cleaning tables. Those are all things everyone has the opportunity to do. Unless you're saying because someone is black(white or whatever) they can't work as a table cleaner or deliver papers so that qualifies them as a minority deserving of grants or special scholarships?

Or is it that only kids living with a single parent are the only ones that deserve assistance? Or kids that have parents on drugs? This line drawn that seperates everyone is extremely vague. I just dont think a parents income should be the main factor effecting a students right to financial aid. Plus consider the fact that state universities charge so much for tuition. That's not right to begin with, state universities are supposed to be paid mainly by the state. At what point did these state universities stop being institutions of higher learning and become big business?

Anyway, i love a good discussion like this, lol, one sided or not.

I very much agree.

People often think that being a "minority" gives you some sort of advantage in the workplace or helps with getting into a certain school. I don't necessarily think that it is race as much as the unique perspective such a person brings to the table. There will always be cultural and language barriers and I'm sorry but you need a diverse population of healthcare providers to provide care to a diverse population of patients. Just my two cents.

I think race sections should be completely removed from applications or any sort whether it be jobs, college, or whatever.

I'm not sure if you race will help or hurt you but your gender might help out. Whether they say so or not, some companies prefer men because they figure that they aren't going to take a break or cut back to part time to raise children. They also figure that men aren't going to be the ones calling in sick when the kids are sick. With the gender ratios becoming skewed toward women, I'm guessing that companies can favor men in their hiring practices and not risk a lawsuit. If they end up having 50 to 60% women instead of 70%, is anybody really going to notice enough to file a lawsuit?

People often think that being a "minority" gives you some sort of advantage in the workplace or helps with getting into a certain school. I don't necessarily think that it is race as much as the unique perspective such a person brings to the table. There will always be cultural and language barriers and I'm sorry but you need a diverse population of healthcare providers to provide care to a diverse population of patients. Just my two cents.

True. However, there were some individuals belonging to a minority group who did a study session for the PCAT with us. When it was over, a few of us stayed behind to talk to the group of pharmacy students who gave the study session. They all knew their GPAs and all knew their PCAT scores. Strangely enough when we asked these two individuals what their GPAs were, they were far lower than the other students and they "forgot" their PCAT scores. They were P1's... how do you forget your PCAT score? This may or may not be representative of the entire study body but it did raise some eyebrows.

this is a touchy subject so let's try to keep focus on the question. pharmacy schools like any other schools practice affirmative action which to many white people is called reverse discrimination. i'm not going to discuss what's right and wrong because that is a debate that could go on forever. the fact is, if a white person and a minority person have the EXACT same credentials (which is near impossible) then the minority person will be accepted over the white person (if this is the last spot in the pharm class anyways).

as far as getting a job though, there is no affirmative action and yes, pharmacists are in huge demand so you don't even need to worry about it. i don't know anyone with a pharm.d. degree who didn't get a bazillion offers once they graduated. also a pharm.d. degree is superior to a bcps of the olden days so you have an edge there too (unless they have significantly more experience of course...which they probably do)

The whole minority/race/discrimination system is CRAP!!! Let me tell you something, as long as you have good grades, have high morals, and good karma :D, you'll be fine.