Reverse Effects of Cyclopentolate

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Digitalized

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering that the effects of cyclopentolate can last for up to three days (at least what my school told me), I was wondering if there is anything that you can use to reverse the effects? Google doesn't seem to be too helpful on this. I'm just curious, say if someone had a bad reaction to dilation or something...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had about a solid two day cycloplegia last time I was on cyclopentolate. I think the best thing to do is have some shades and plus lenses trial framed up. Won't physiologically reverse it, but will at least let you read and function outdoors...

Maybe cocaine would do the trick...

Considering that the effects of cyclopentolate can last for up to three days (at least what my school told me), I was wondering if there is anything that you can use to reverse the effects? Google doesn't seem to be too helpful on this. I'm just curious, say if someone had a bad reaction to dilation or something...

Dapiprazole (an alpha-agonist) can help bring down dilation, but has limited ability to reverse cycloplaegia. Pilocarpine is an (unpleasant) option, but not one I imagine many practitioners would avail.

To address the effects of the cycloplaegia, if this must be done promptly, I'd suggest cheap O.T.C. reading glasses — whichever power works best, and maybe a pair or two of lesser powers, for down the road to recovery.

Such consideration likely is more pertinent to cycloplaegia by atropine than by cyclopentolate, as the latter wears off rather faster.

I agree w/ Commando - a couple powers of OTC readers, and I'd add sunglasses or some flip over shades if you normally wear glasses.
If you have to get cyclopleged I prefer to use tropicamide 0.5%. Max cycloplegia within 30 min and functional accommodation within 5hrs - though I am a moderate myope :whistle:.
The cycloplegia and mydriasis drop off noticeably sooner than trop 1% IMHO. If you must have longer/more complete cycloplegia then go with cyclo 1%. Don't expect accommodating well for the next day, tho.
As OD's we'll be dilating pts often, so it's well worth it ( as long it won't kill you) to get an experience of what several pts will be kvetching about.

If you want to read more about it there plenty of number - crunching here :http://books.google.com/books?id=Eybg7fbs65MC&pg=PA118&lpg=PA118&dq=Tropicamide+0.5%25&source=bl&ots=gDW3NMj8ut&sig=_sQxm3A5qhpBWKkwVObWH1nM5s0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vmoCUrCVOJCFyQHOlIGAAw&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=Tropicamide%200.5%25&f=false

Rev eyes : If you see a bottle take a picture - pretty rare these days, and controversial. Rev eyes has not been available in the US for about 5 yrs now but it may be making a comeback https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/05/13/2013-11285/determination-that-rev-eyes-dapiprazole-hydrochloride-ophthalmic-solution-05-was-not-withdrawn-from

Happy dilating...:rolleyes: