1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Review my book list please

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by oudoc08, Apr 22, 2004.

1. oudoc08

oudoc08 Please pass the gas...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hello, I am starting 1st year in the fall. I just bought several books on Amazon, and would welcome any opinions on which are most utilized / favorites. Also any suggestions on additional material.

1. BRS Physiology -Costanzo
    2. BRS Pathology
    3. BRS Micro and Immunology
    4. BRS Biochem
    5. BRS Gross Anatomy - Chung
    6. High Yield - Gross Anatomy
    7. High Yield - Neuroanatomy
    8. High Yield - Embryology
    9. High Yield - Biochem
    10. Lippincott Pharmacology
    11. Lippincott Biochem
    12. Hight Yield - Step Up Review for USMLE Step I
    13. Appleton & Lange - Review for USMLE Step I
    14. First Aid for USMLE
    15. Clinical Micro made ridiculously simple

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How about A textbook? Moore? Boron? Larsen? Netter? Purves? Haines? Junquiera? Wheater? Alberts? Lodish? Kuby?

Review books are great if you just want to pass. As my anatomy professor said last year, "You can't review what you don't yet know."

4. mosfet

mosfet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Where is the mother of all textbooks.......ROBBINS. Don't tell me you are going to study pathology from BRS and treat patients.

5. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    2. BRS Pathology
    3. BRS Micro and Immunology
    4. BRS Biochem
    6. High Yield - Gross Anatomy
    7. High Yield - Neuroanatomy
    8. High Yield - Embryology
    9. High Yield - Biochem
    11. Lippincott Biochem
    13. Appleton & Lange - Review for USMLE Step I
    14. First Aid for USMLE

That's a great list. There are some things I would delete. BRS Micro, one of your high yield or BRS biochem, and your appleton and Lange review for the USMLE. All of those are pretty useless or covered a TON better than the other books. Here are some real textbooks I would add:

Physiology by Costanza (in depth text book)
    Robbins Patholoigical Basis of Disease
    Garner and Hiatt Histology
    BRS or High Yield Behavioral Science

For myself, I own the above three and:

2. BRS Pathology
    11. Lippincott Biochem
    14. First Aid for USMLE

and I love those books.

6. Scott_L

Scott_L Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Since I work for LWW, the publisher of many of the books you listed let me give you some book advice :)

You purchased the 2nd edition of LIR Biochem, return it. A third edition is coming out August 1st that will be in full color. Plus, the current edition is from 1994.

Chung, BRS Gross Anatomy will be out in a new edition late Fall. Sorry, this is running late!

If you are going to purchase a Robbins, wait until the Fall. Elsevier is running late on a new edition. There might be a chance that the school will switch to Rubin Pathology.

If you are in a systems based program, the Step-Up book is a fantastic book to use.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Lavine
    Medical Education Marketing Manager
    Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
    410-528-4130
    [email protected]

7. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Awww. I just purchased my robbins like 2 months ago. Oh well. Less pages for me to read. I've done 700 so far.

8. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

:eek: :eek:

That's a better book list than what I have, and I'm finishing my second year! I need half of those books, but am not willing to shell out the money for them. LOL.

9. scootad.

scootad. Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am a rising MS4 and the only textbook I bought was Netters & Jinquierra. Everything else I used were review books. No Robbins, no Burn & Leave It, nothing else. Although my school did have lecture transcripts which I read along w/ the review books. I did very well on Step 1 (246). IMHO reading textbooks is NOT the way to go, it just slows you down. Everything you need to know is in a review book and if you find the right review books it is easy to understand.

That's an excellent list you have. You'll do wonderful if you stick to it!

10. orthoman5000

orthoman5000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

As far as review books for the first-year I would get:

BRS Gross Anatomy
    BRS Physiology
    High-Yield Neuroanatomy and/or Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple (BRS is overkill)
    High-Yield Embryology (BRS is overkill)
    BRS Cell Biology and Histology (is a good complement to the Gartner and Hiatt textbook by the same authors)
    Lippencott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry

You might also want to pick up High-Yield Gross Anatomy and High-Yield Histology as these are better for Step 1 study, whereas the BRS are great for the course but overkill for Step 1. Now I could be wrong about this because I have not taken the Step 1 yet.

As far as textbooks, I just went with our required texts:
    Lehninger's Biochemistry
    The Cell (Cooper), not much use for this one
    Clinically Oriented Anatomy (Moore and Dalley), great for blue boxes and some benefit from reading the text
    Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy
    Rohen Color Atlas of Anatomy
    Grant's Dissector, don't get me started on this one. Based on what I know about who is writing it, the next edition is going to be MUCH better.
    Color Textbook of Histology (Gartner and Hiatt)
    Langman's Medical Embryology
    Textbook of Medical Physiology (Guyton and Hall)
    The Human Brain (Nolte)
    Basic Clinical Neuroanatomy (Young and Young)

11. RLMD

RLMD blah
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think 3 books for biochem might be a little overkill. I hear Lippencott biochem is the best. I see the new addition has almost 200 hundred more pages. I think I will keep my old addition so I wont get bogged down too much when studying for the boards.

12. denali

denali Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any particular reason to own both Costanzo physiology books?

13. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    One for actually learning, and one for reviewing quickely whilte studying for the boards.

14. oumedst

oumedst New Member

I am a MS1 at OU. For the first semester, Chungs BRS is a gold mine. You will find that it is one of the most extensive review books out there. I bought another anatomy text that I only used when I felt that I needed a little more explanation. If you own Chungs, Netters, and you go to all of the Labs (which is required) you will do well in anatomy. As far as biochem goes, Lippencotts text is great. I dont know anything about the BRS. You will need an embryo book for the fall. I used one and I thought that it helped. As far as your other books, The Costanzo BRS and text are great. I bought both and I prefer the text. Usually what I would do is read the text thoroughly and as a review before the test read the BRS. You will have neuro in the spring which is a tough one, and I suggest that you buy a neuro text not the BRS. In addition to that the Neuro made simple is a good book to read at the start of the semester to give you an overview. The other books I dont know anything about because I haven't purchased 2nd year books yet

15. oudoc08

oudoc08 Please pass the gas...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Would you please look at these links and tell me for sure which one is the Physiiology TEXT that I need (I already have the BRS)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0721695493/qid=1082830458/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-5796644-0268843?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0721666116/qid=1082830458/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/002-5796644-0268843?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Also, is it true that you can get a free Netters at orientation? If so, does it have the CD w/ it?

Any suggestions on a particular Embryo text?

Thanks

16. IlianaSedai

IlianaSedai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oudoc08,

Put your wallet away NOW! I think you're buying too many books and by the end of your second year, you'll regret the enormous amount of money you have already and will continue to spend on books you'll barely use.

TEXTBOOKS to study for class in the first year:

- An anatomy atlas (Netter is best. Grant is okay. Rohen is very cool but isn't as complete as you may need.)

- A simple embryology text. High Yield is good and re-usable for the Boards. Our school's assigned text was Larsen -- pretty clear, but long and not re-usable for the Boards.

- A histology text/atlas. Junquiera is good -- best part are the pictures. A combined text/atlas is cheaper than buying both. Wheater's is also a popular atlas (but the text leaves something to be desired -- in the way of British academic writing, it's very murky).

- BRS Physiology AND/OR another physiology text (STAR Physiology by Constanzo, Guyton's mega-textbook, or Berne & Levy). If you can read BRS and understand it without additional paragraphs, I'd say stick with it, because you can re-use it (and save $$$) while preparing for Step I. The others are too long for boards prep. However, many people cannot read BRS Physio and understand it the first time around, so in that case a real textbook would be useful.

- Robbins Pathology, the FULL text. If you have an old version, don't worry too much -- what's important for you to know is more or less the same in every edition. (And for a note, hardly anyone ever uses Rubin no matter what edition of Robbins is out.) Some people use "baby Robbins" which is like Robbins but in outline format, but I think the big Robbins has important pictures and can be used as an atlas.

- A microbiology/immunology text. Do not get both BRS and CMMRS -- pick one or the other, and return the extra one! You only need one or the other for the Boards. For class, any textbook or CMMRS will do (BRS if you can understand outlines the first time through the material).

As for an anatomy textbook, I find these painfully incomprehensible and would just use a review book to supplement class notes and atlas. Many recommend BRS, which is probably fine for class.... For the Boards (Step I), BRS is a little too long and I'd prefer High Yield. Either will probably be fine AS LONG AS you pay attention to what's covered in your class notes.

Edit: We had to buy a dissection manual for anatomy lab as well. I think we used Moore, but am not sure. If you need this, I'd buy whatever is assigned at your school.

REVIEW BOOKS for the USMLE Step I - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=1161640#post1161640

Go through your pile of books. Return four or five of them and get your $150 - $200 back. Don't waste any more money. You'll kick yourself in a year's time.

17. oumedst

oumedst New Member

oudoc08

The first link is the one that you need. I cant remember the name of the embryo book. I will check and get back to you. The syll. is very thorough for embryo first semester, and many people do not use the book. However, I felt like it was very helpful. I agree with the post above. You definitely dont need to buy all your books for second semester yet. You will find that some of the second years will sell you their first year books for cheaper when you get here. (these are mostly text books because everyone keeps their BRS)

I forgot to mention that the Rohen book for anatomy IS A MUST. IT IS GREAT FOR THE LAB PRACTICAL PORTION OF YOUR ANATOMY TESTS.

Oh and you do get a free Netters at Orientation. You have to sign up for a credit card to get it. I didnt want the card, and I cut it up when I received it.

18. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    my personal thoughts

I completely agree with IlanaSedai, in retrospect I absolutely regret buying big Moore. It served as a paperweight for my entire study of anatomy. Get baby Moore maybe (has all the clinical/blue box stuff you need in a condensed, no BS format) and definitely BRS anatomy by chung. And dont buy grant's dissector, no matter how cheap you can get it for...you can spend that money on toilet paper. I wasnt a huge fan of Rohen, but some people liked it...I just preferred to see stuff on the body, and it worked for me.

guyton & hall for physiology=OVERKILL. This is one issue I'm adamant on, you MUST get the full constanzo and the BRS contanzo for practice questions.

Best decision I think I've made in med school so far was not getting Stryer or any of the hard cover biochem texts. I wouldn't use it if you paid me. Lippincott's for Biochem all the way.

I found high yield embyro to be pretty lame...it guess it will be good for board review, but as a first year it didnt help me one iota. To each their own.

just my two cents

19. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

to the op: you must be out of your mind. who buys so many books so far in advance of class? ??? Why did you buy 2nd-year books as well? and you might try a textbook.

netters. moore/dalley. robbins. first aid. that's all you need.

20. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have some books I am selling cheap. Let me know if anyone is interested. I don't want to have to pack these up and move them.

BRS series, $8 each
    Neuroanatomy Gross Anatomy
    Pathology Biochemistry
    Embryology Behavioral Science
    Physiology Microbiology/Immunology
    Psychiatry

NMS series, $10 each
    Medicine Surgery

Underground Clinical Vignettes, $5 each or all 9 for $40
    Anatomy Biochemistry
    Pharmacology Behavioral Science
    Microbiology, I & II Pathophysiology I, II, & III

Blueprints series, $10 each
    Medicine OB/GYN

First Aid series, $8 each
    Medicine OB/GYN

USMLE Step I Kaplan Qbook (850 questions and explanations) with Pathology Image CD, $40

Misc. Textbooks
    Johnson?s Essential Medical Physiology, $10
    Lippincott?s Pharmacology, $8
    Medical Microbiology, $10
    Kaplan and Saddock Psychiatry question book, $5
    Benjamini?s Immunology, $8
    Marks? Basic Medical Biochemistry, $8
    Color Atlas of Histology, $8
    Moore?s Essential Clinical Anatomy, $5
    High Yield Psychiatry, $5
    Psychiatry Pre-Test, $5
    Iserson?s Getting Into a Residency, $8
    Saint-Francis Pocket Guide to Inpatient Medicine, $8

21. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    With all due respect to DW, I wouldn't embrace his opinion on this subject right away. Having gone through anatomy, I have seen two camps of people: One that found Big moore very useful, and another that preferred small moore.

Get in contact with 2nd years in YOUR school and see what their take is on the choice. It really depends on the teaching style of your anatomy professors.

Personally, I found the small moore to be inadequate

22. DW

Medical Student
    Fair enough. At least here big moore was a complete waste of money, and lots of people here did very well in anatomy while barely if ever using it. I just get a little bitter when I spend my little bit of money on books that gather dust :p

You bring up a great point, this is very much a school dependent thing, so you want to talk to students who attend your med school as well. For example, here we have our own free online histology resources, extremely well written histology notes, and most would agree our histo profs are far and away the best lecturers we've had as first years. Ergo, one could easily get away without using one of the major histo atlases (ross, junqueira, etc) and do just fine.

for phys here, costanzo makes life much easier.

23. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't forget to get any Goljan reviews you can get your hands on. Better off getting his STARS series for pathology than spending money on Robbins.

I thought the Chung anatomy review was woefully inadequate. Rohen's was great for structure ID prior to lab practicals.

Any Biochemistry book - waste of money. Just go to lectures and see what the instructor believes is important.

Histo - never found a text I liked. That class just sucks, and nothing can make it better.

Buy (or copy) the Medico Mneumonica book. Several good mneumonics for remembering obscure anatomical facts.

Go OSU.......
    3 days until finished with medical school

24. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

I've friends at my med schl, so I can use their textboots, and wont get the required ones till schl starts like Netters and stuff.
    I was given BRS review books: Micro, Gross Anatomy, Biochem
    I bought :BRS Physiology, first aid, key facts of anatomy and physiology, anatomy coloring book and Step up.

so far i think i'm ready, talked to 1st and 2nd yrs at my schl and they think my list is great!! :laugh: :D

25. BUmmedic

BUmmedic Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm an MSIII at Boston University and here is my book list (not all bought, but these, IMHO, were the best for what I needed, how my classes were taught, and for my review strategy for the boards).

1. Anatomy/Embryology/Neuro
    Baby Moore and BRS Chung for lecture/raw material, Rohen for real cadaver ID (never used Netter).

We had Sadler Embryo required - great book, too dense... use HY Embryo.

Neuro - HY Neurosciences and a good cross-section atlas

2. Histo
    We had an online slide collection that was amazing and I think it's making the transition to being marketed now.

3. Biochem
    Lippincott Biochem.

4. Psychiatry
    HY Behavior Sciences.

5. Microbiology/Immunology
    Lange Micro/Immuno Review - has great "clinically-important organisms" sections in the back for fast-paced review of the important facts; also Micro Made Ridiculously Simple - only for the pics and charts.

6. Pharmacology
    Lange Pharmacology Review by Katzung - he writes a much bigger and dense book, but this is perfect for what you need to know.

7. Pathology
    BRS Path to review and I would recommend Pocket Robbins - the big Robbins has been supporting the sagging mid-section of my leather couch for 2 years.

8. Physical Examination/Clinical Intro - Pocket Bates

10. Physiology (oops... forgot it till now)
    Costanzo STAR Physio is all you need. BRS physio is okay if you want something a little more concise for board review.

9. USMLE/Misc.
    First Aid is really test dependent - for some it's great and all they need for their Step 1, for others, they wish they didn't use it as a primary study guide.

Step-up to the Bedside is a great system-based review of all of the relevant material for the Step 1. Wish I would ahve used it more.

BRS Path and Physio
    HY Behavioral, Neuro, and Anatomy
    Lange Micro/Immuno (MMRS for charts only)
    Pharm (use First Aid section - all you need)

** Keep your book list as short as possible for the boards, and make a detailed schedule before you study (I looked through all of my books and noted the page numbers that I wanted to go over each day and wrote them on my schedule). LEAVE TIME FOR R&R and FUN!!!

- Fred

26. DW

Medical Student
    dude, I've seen and used the BU histo website :eek: That thing is amazing...our site here has a lot more text with the slides, but for purpose of identification the BU site is sooooo money...my main question is how you guys managed to allow that thing to be accessible on the web for this long without charging for its use? :confused:

27. Entol

Entol Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is the address for the BU histo website? :)

28. DW

Medical Student
  29. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

30. bigprops

bigprops Junior Member

mebe I'll juz post the books that use ... wat's important is not buying books for the sake of buying ... mebe u should try and go through some of the books first before buying them ... to see whether you like using those books ... it saves more money ... and the main reason of studying is to be a good and competent doctor ... not juz one who can pass exams ... :D

Anatomy - Netter's Atlas, Keith Moore
    Physio - Ganong, Guyton
    Pathophysio - Ganong
    Pathology - Robbins
    Clinical Medicine - Davidson's, Kumar & Clark, Talley's
    Pharmacology - Rang & Dale, Lippincott
    Biochem - Lippincott

Introduction to a new system or course before anything else ... I juz take a quick read through Marieb

31. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

wow. im not even thinking about books yet. i feel behind and school hasnt even started.

where should we buy these books from?? online, school bookstore, other?

32. FountainHead

FountainHead Junior Member

Hey Fah-Q,

I have sent you a PM. Please check it.

33. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

brs micro is most likely the worst book ever written. i just took the micro shelf, and i believe that it subtracted points from my score. cmmrs and section of first aid on micro were the way to go (for the non-immuno questions).

34. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

BUMP, info about new Lippincott Biochem

35. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can buy now and sell them again to the new first-years. That's what I'm doing...I'm selling everything 1/2 the bookstore price. :)

36. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

bump.

where is a good place to buy these books...online, school bookstore??

37. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

http://www.amazon.com Do a search for medical review books. :p :laugh: :love:

38. omarsaleh66

omarsaleh66 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Neuro:
    i would add Neuro Made Ridiculously simple, with this and Neuro HY and FA, u wont need any of the neuro books, just buy a old haines atlas off of amazon for 2 bucks, the older edition is the same.

Anatomy: I'd get moore's and netters fo sho.

Biochem: lippincott, u wont need a text book and use FA for this one!!

Histo : BRS histo is good for this class, get some wheater atlas for cheap on amazon, old edition, its all the same

Phys: those books u have on ur list are good. I also like Phys pretest. and use the FA path sections to learn some of the phsyiology clinicals like respiratory for sho. Also get Respiratory by West. Its on amazon for like 5 bucks.

these are the classes ive already taken. so this is what i know, some more good advice:

Anatomy takes alot of time. screw this class and really learn ur biochem, its alot more hi yield than anatomy; many classmates will spend way too much time on anatomy where biochem is alot easier to get an A in and its more hi yeild for the USMLE so it would be better to master this subject.

Use FA, buy an old one for 16 bucks and then get a new one in ur second year for the actual USMLE; the old one has the stuff u need for ur first year and especially ur NBME exams (if ur school does this). I took the NBMEs last year almost everything on the test was in FA.

peace

39. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/465600/ref=b_tn_bh_bb/104-1287941-3382368

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?path=0%3A3920&dept=3920&cat=3920

http://www.lww.com/

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/index.asp?userid=7I0psQm9KW

These are all sites I have used to purchase books through undergrad and some of the books for this 1st block of med school. Be careful and make sure you are ordering the correct publish date and edition that your school recommends.