Review/Study for Anesthesiology Critical Care Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MommyMD

Anesthesia Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally at the final step of this process...

Any advice on what I should use for studying for the Anesthesiology Critical Care Board Exam. I know there are no review courses or books geared specifically to the ABA exam.

Is it better to use the medicine or surgery critical care review material? Any specific courses that anyone took?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I read critical care secrets thoroughly, and looked up topics that i wasnt strong in (toxins, ttp, etc) especially the ones that seem to show up a lot. it may not be the purest form of studying but it was perfect for review. the book is easy to read and the key for me was that if i couldnt recall the information quickly, i would review it in a large text, but if i could then i would move on. i spent the week before the exam doing this.

if you had to pick one, i think the test is more geared to medical critical care

SCCM board review book (on their website) and Evidence Based Practice of Critical Care Medicine were both pretty good IMO.

Didn't cram with them but read them both in the month or so leading up to the exam. Solidified the knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a bit early but I need to spend my educational fund and I am looking for things to buy for my Critical Care boards. Does anyone else want to offer their insight or experience? All suggestions appreciated!

This may be a bit early but I need to spend my educational fund and I am looking for things to buy for my Critical Care boards. Does anyone else want to offer their insight or experience? All suggestions appreciated!
As a fellow, you will take the SCCM ITE the March of your fellowship year, and you'll get a report with the holes needed to plug. There are no truly good board prep books.

For the fellowship itself, I recommend Marino as a starter, followed by Evidence-Based Critical Care by Marik (if your residency has Springerlink, you might get the PDF for free) as an appetizer, followed by Vincent's or Parillo's textbook as an entree. For desert, something like the Washington Manual of Critical Care. Get an iPad mini or a big iPhone, and you'll be able to carry most of these in your pocket (the printed books come with free beautiful inkling versions on expertconsult).

Last edited by a moderator: