Review Techniques for the Recent Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Springs10808

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently started my first job out of vet school (graduated in May). I was one of those people for whom vet school was particularly painful, and I found myself not even wanting to think about medicine during my month off let alone doing regular review. Now that I'm starting my mentorship, however, I feel like I don't know anything and I really need to work on learning those things that I've either forgotten or never properly learned in the first place. The amount of material I'm focused on is of course much more limited than it was in vet school (I'm doing ER so I don't have to worry about the specifics of surgical techniques, etc. as much) but I still feel very overwhelmed and like I really shouldn't have "Dr." before my name. I was curious if anyone could share their review habits from early in their careers and what, if anything, particularly seemed to work for them? I'm especially interested in what you chose to prioritize reviewing and if there were any particularly useful resources geared toward what's most relevant in a clinical setting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Highly recommend going through the “getting through the night” series on VIN that runs every year (free for now grads). All the transcripts from previous years are also archived and you can read through those. My first job out of school was ER and those transcripts were invaluable to me.

Congratulations, and everyone feels that way when they graduate. I too would recommend the Getting Through The Night series, and scanning through the VIN message boards in general (and keep your eye on VIN rounds almost every week for topics that might apply).

Third Getting Through the Night, and the diagnostic pathways on VIN.

I have been enjoying VetGirl's Basic ER medicine certificate, too. It's 35 hours of saved webinars that are great for listening to while just cooking or cleaning. Nothing revolutionary but lots of good info.

There's an Advanced one I haven't gotten to yet, too.