Review Verbal Answer Explanations? Helpful or Not!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysioG318

Time for Plastic Surgery!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you find it helpful to go back over the answer explanation for Verbal Reasoning passages? I have been doing it so far and I don't really feel like it helps. However I keep making the same mistakes like second guessing myself, not understanding the answer choices completely. So far I have been doing them untimed to get a feel of how I want to approach verbal. I do 3 verbals a day rotating from EK 101 and TPRH VB! *My test is not till april 27th so i have enough time. I would love input on this. Also sorry if this has been asked before!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I also don't find it super helpful, definitely not as much as reviewing PS/BS questions, but I think it's still necessary. I've also been using EK101 and TPRH, and I usually still have trouble with the same types of questions, but now I get them wrong less frequently. It definitely won't really feel like you're learning anything when you review VR passages, but you'll get better at it with time. My scores on VR have improved a couple of points over the last 3 months so reviewing had to have played at least a minor role! :)

How many of you find it helpful to go back over the answer explanation for Verbal Reasoning passages? I have been doing it so far and I don't really feel like it helps. However I keep making the same mistakes like second guessing myself, not understanding the answer choices completely. So far I have been doing them untimed to get a feel of how I want to approach verbal. I do 3 verbals a day rotating from EK 101 and TPRH VB! *My test is not till april 27th so i have enough time. I would love input on this. Also sorry if this has been asked before!:)

Sometimes. Other times I find the EK answer keys about as annoying as a PARROT. EK answer keys tend to repeat what the passage already said, point out the obvious, then end either by saying that the correct answer "is the best answer," or by shifting the blame to the reader, "If you don't understand where the numbers came from, take another look. You should understand this for the MCAT." (Thanks a lot, right?)

I find the most helpful information is in SDN posts about what WORKED for other people. Meanings of implied, suggested, inferred, and types of common wrong answers have been helpful to me.

Some SDN posts I found to be SUPER HELPFUL:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=223930

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...ight=AAMC+official+unofficial+verbal+strategy

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...vr+strategy+that's+working+really+well+for+me

Some EK 101 Verbal Questions with particularly USELESS answer explanations (help is still welcome by PM or whatever):

-Questions 4&5 of the very 1st passage.
-Question 31, Page 29, Passage VI.
-Question 14, Page 22, Passage III of Test I.
2nd edition.

If you have any specific questions about EK 101 passages, I will try to answer them if you post to SDN. I am going through that book right now and marking down why I think each answer is right or wrong along the way. I will keep this notebook to help with future questions.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your opinions! I think I will continue to go over the explanations. It just sucks that verbal takes the most time to see improvement. Also how many verbal passages are you all doing per day. I have EK and TPRH VB and 10 Kaplan practice exam 10 GS practice exams and I will also purchase the AAMC exams. I was thinking about using the Verbal from the Kaplan test as practice. Taking them every other day in march since I will have completed my Content review and would just be practicing taking FL's. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you review to make sure each right answer is right and each wrong answer is wrong. What I mean is, if you look at a question and you can eliminate most wrong answers immediately, then you can feel pretty good about your chance and not have to spend time second guessing and choose between the two. I always find choosing between two good answers most time consuming. Also review the explanations can touch something you did not catch while reading the passage and that may point to the weakness you need to fix.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you review to make sure each right answer is right and each wrong answer is wrong. What I mean is, if you look at a question and you can eliminate most wrong answers immediately, then you can feel pretty good about your chance and not have to spend time second guessing and choose between the two. I always find choosing between two good answers most time consuming. Also review the explanations can touch something you did not catch while reading the passage and that may point to the weakness you need to fix.
So would you recommend reviewing EVERY answer choice? Or just the two you narrowed it down to?