Reviewing Step 1 material for Step 2 USMLE/COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2beadoc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find that most of the answers from step 2 practice questions are found in my step 1 review notes. When reading USMLE step 2 books I find that most of the material was already covered in step 1. It seems to me that a significant part of the challenge of studying for step2 is remembering step1 material. I don't know about you, but I find it a lot easier, faster and more memorable to study notes that I've already mastered once, then reading similar material in a different book/format.

I know step 1 material is not complete for step 2 (more treatments and managements), but has anyone studied for step 2 USMLE or COMLEX by reviewing step 1 material (maybe minus the mechanism/biochem) and filling in the gaps with a step 2 review book/questions (and get a high score)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Heyo,

If you do a quick search on this forum this has been discussed before. In short, it's not worth studying by going through your step 1 notes. I tried this for awhile, started doing UWorld and practice tests, did poorly, started using step 2 material and did much better.

If you want to study primarily from step 2 sources and fill in the gaps with step 1 instead, that's probably a better plan (though still not really worth it). The amount of step 1 type questions you're going to get is minimal. Most questions are next step, treatment, etc.

A lot can be found in Step 1 but that information is limited. A lot of Step 1 focuses on the more basic aspects of medicine such as genes, etc vs. Step 2 focuses on more clinical aspects for example next treatment, diagnostic step etc.

It's more helpful just to do questions and fill in the gaps in your knowledge. If you knew it before for Step 1, you'll remember quickly.

Thanks for the replies! I can't find any step2 review or question books that are big at giving the next step/management of disease. They focus more in symptoms and diagnosis which is why I have a hard time understanding the major differences with step1 (besides mechanisms). Anyone know any good resources that focuses more on material not covered in step1?

Members don't see this ad :)
USMLE Step 2 Secrets + UWorld +/- Step up to medicine or Step up to step 2 ck

That's all you need. Period. If you need extra structure, get DIT. Otherwise, you're good.

USMLE Step 2 Secrets + UWorld +/- Step up to medicine or Step up to step 2 ck

That's all you need. Period. If you need extra structure, get DIT. Otherwise, you're good.

I would even say that you could leave out Secrets.

Focus on UWorld and the early chapters (Ch 1-5) of SUTM. Plus, study hard during M3 year and do well on the Shelf exams. That's all you need.