1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Rewriting Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by therocketman, May 14, 2008.

1. therocketman

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hi all. So I am reapplying this year T_T and I had a question. I see the general consensus is to rewrite the personal statement. I was wondering if you should mention that you are a reapplicant within the personal statement or not. Or should I change the personal statement with the extracurricular activities I have been doing in the break.

Thanks.

On a side note, man did i learn from last year's cycle. I am applying as early as possible... finishing the secondaries late screwed me.. I think haha

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RxnMan

RxnMan Who, me? A doctor?
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can choose not to. If the school has a check box for re-apps, you have to check it, but you don't have to put it in your statement. And if asked in an interview, you have to be honest. But if you feel that being a re-app works against you, then there's no need to trumpet it either.

If you do, always show it in a positive light (e.g. here's how I have improved from last year).

4. therocketman

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    thanks for the reply. The reason I was thinking of putting in the fact that im a reapplicant was to show that I was still committed to pursuing medicine. :)

5. reezer4

reezer4 Science is tricky.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    therocketman-
    When did you finish your secondaries? i.e. what do you define as late?
    Thanks!

6. therocketman

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    um.. pretty late haha. like november T_T.. yeah i screwed myself

7. nellia

nellia member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so overall what i've gotten is that the general consensus is re-write your ps. my ps was pretty specific and talked about how a clinical experience motivated me to pursue a particular field of research blah blah blah and how this really has motivated me to want to become a doctor. it's been really hard for me to think of an equally significant event so i'm having trouble "rewriting" completely. can i basically just revise a huge chunk of my essay or does it have to be completely different ? (sorry if this has been posted elsewhere..)

8. Mattabet

Mattabet Doctor Thunder
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I definitely don't think you need to rewrite the whole thing (although that's what I'm doing with mine). If you have some one, critical experience in your life that led you to medicine, it'd be silly to think you'd have another one in the course of a year.

That said, I think you should revise. When you reapply, schools will have access to your old application as well (at least that's what I've been led to believe). I think it might look a little lazy to resubmit the exact same thing, but with some revisions or a little reorganizing, I think you can get by on the same ideas without a problem.

9. mdessay1

Playing the devil's advocate - school's receive so many apps, will they really remember your particular essay? Especially given that any given reviewer only reviews a subset of all the applications. You probably shouldnt mention that you are a reapplicant. Did you get any interviews? If not, then your essay should be updated. But don't just add in what you've been doing over the last year. That's already evident in the rest of your app. It should tie together and stand on it's own two feet as a story.