Rh factors question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjw822

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand when Rh - mother have Rh +fetus, it can cause problems.

But, If Rh + mother have Rh - baby, will there be complecation??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I understand when Rh - mother have Rh +fetus, it can cause problems.

But, If Rh + mother have Rh - baby, will there be complecation??

Thanks

Nope. Antibodies can pass the placenta, but not blood. That is why 1st pregnancies of Rh- mothers and Rh+ fetuses usually pass without complication. After exposure, the mother will likely posses the antibodies which can pass through the placenta and disrupt development of subsequent pregnancies.

An Rh+ mother will not have the antibodies that will cause erythroblastosis fetalis. The mother's blood does not pass through the placenta, so the fetus will not be exposed to the Rh antigen, either, unless the OB punctures the baby with forceps or something. I'm not up on my fetal immunology, so I don't know if the fetus's immune system works properly in that case anyway.

Nope. Antibodies can pass the placenta, but not blood. That is why 1st pregnancies of Rh- mothers and Rh+ fetuses usually pass without complication. After exposure, the mother will likely posses the antibodies which can pass through the placenta and disrupt development of subsequent pregnancies.

An Rh+ mother will not have the antibodies that will cause erythroblastosis fetalis. The mother's blood does not pass through the placenta, so the fetus will not be exposed to the Rh antigen, either, unless the OB punctures the baby with forceps or something. I'm not up on my fetal immunology, so I don't know if the fetus's immune system works properly in that case anyway.

oh that make sense thank you very much