Rheumatology application cycle 2018 -2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any of you guys received any post interview communication from any program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As we are almost at the end of interview season, I would like to get advice on preparing the ROL. I understand that ROL varies between different applicants based upon what matters most to them. I would like to get the honest opinion for ranking for the following programs solely based on the quality of the program.
1. Medstar - Washington Hospital Center Program
2. UMass Medical school
3. Boston University medical center
4. Sunny Upstate Medical University
5. University of Central Florida, HCA GME consortium

Any thoughts about Emory fellowship after interview?
And also UCF as its new program

As we are almost at the end of interview season, I would like to get advice on preparing the ROL. I understand that ROL varies between different applicants based upon what matters most to them. I would like to get the honest opinion for ranking for the following programs solely based on the quality of the program.
1. Medstar - Washington Hospital Center Program
2. UMass Medical school
3. Boston University medical center
4. Sunny Upstate Medical University
5. University of Central Florida, HCA GME consortium
In my opinion,
BU, SUNY, UMass, UCF, WHC.

Hello... new to this forum. Anyone want to comment on ranking : Medstar, Dartmouth, Allegheny, Tufts, UVA, UMD? The rank list is more challenging than I thought.

Part of my initial criteria was strength in the MSK US training but given the lower reimbursement trend I'm worried that the practice of it will be more of a cumbersome art. I'd love to hear what others are thinking about this as well. Thanks

Any particular reason why BU is at the top and WHC at the bottom??

BU is a highly respected university whereas WHC is a community hospital with university affiliation. My ranking was based on reputation of the programs.

Hey Guys, any reviews on Houston and Dallas Rheumatology programs?? ( UTSW, Baylor, UT Houston)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys mind sharing how many programs you have interviewed at? I have six programs to rank.

I interviewed for 5 programs. Any ideas which program is better between suny upstate and UCF, HCA(it would be their second batch of Rheum fellows)

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you guys rank the following programs based on reputation? WashU, UCincinnati, UMass, UNebraska, U Kansas, Temple U, Loma Linda, Wake Forest, SUNY upstate? Thank you.

How would you guys rank the following programs based on reputation? WashU, UCincinnati, UMass, UNebraska, U Kansas, Temple U, Loma Linda, Wake Forest, SUNY upstate? Thank you.

I would rank in order .. " WashU, UMass, SUNY Upstate, UCincinnati, Temple U,U Kansas, UNebraska, Wake Forest, Loma Linda"
Loma Linda is strong for clinical training but not good for research training. And clinic hours are long..
WashU and UMass are pretty prestigious in Rheum
SUNY Upstate has his own lab and also has clinical trial. Pretty good for research training with strong clinical . It has 7 or 8 rheum attendings

HI everyone,
Would like your input on the following programs: clinical strengths and supportive program etc.

Boston: MGH, BWH, NY: NYMC, Stony Brook and NSLIJ
CA: UCSD
UPMC, Cleveland Clinic

All are great programs, however, any input would be helpful. Thanks. Also, I know few programs as well so feel free to ask.
Its difficult say which program has the best clinical path patient diversity and supportive environment

HI everyone,
Would like your input on the following programs: clinical strengths and supportive program etc.

Boston: MGH, BWH, NY: NYMC, Stony Brook and NSLIJ
CA: UCSD
UPMC, Cleveland Clinic

All are great programs, however, any input would be helpful. Thanks. Also, I know few programs as well so feel free to ask.
Its difficult say which program has the best clinical path patient diversity and supportive environment

NSLIJ has their own lab. They seems to be interested in someone who can do lab work. They have prestigious lab researchers eg. They discover NMDA antibody for CNS lupus etc.
UPMC: is very supportive. They only invites two candidates for one day because they said they want to pay full attention to candidates. It has subspecialty clinics (scleroderma etc.)
UCSD: Great new building... Faculty members are nice.

:luck::luck::luck:
NSLIJ has their own lab. They seem to be interested in someone who can do lab work. They have prestigious lab researchers eg. They discover NMDA antibody for CNS lupus etc.
UPMC: is very supportive. They only invite two candidates for one day because they said they want to pay full attention to candidates. It has subspecialty clinics (scleroderma etc.)
UCSD: Great new building... Faculty members are nice.
Thank you so much! this helps a lot!
I was wondering about how to rank Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, and UCSD or in that order....I loved Cleveland clinic and the city not sure about what to do in Cleveland and what would be the clinical patient diversity, a good mix or all vasculitis.....My gut feeling is I would be happy there....Any one with input on that location and clinical experience good or avg?

Thank you Primarycare2019, really appreciate it! UPMC faculty, the fellows said good things but I personally dont have a good sense of the environment in a few hours....

UCSD= loved loved it! BUt its far from Home

If anyone needs any input on NY programs or others I am happy to help! please ask

GOOD LUCK TO everyone! Hope you match to the place you are happiest!:luck::luck::luck::soexcited:

I was wondering about how to rank Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, and UCSD or in that order....I loved Cleveland clinic and the city not sure about what to do in Cleveland and what would be the clinical patient diversity, a good mix or all vasculitis.....My gut feeling is I would be happy there....Any one with input on that location and clinical experience good or avg?

Thank you Primarycare2019, really appreciate it! UPMC faculty, the fellows said good things but I personally dont have a good sense of the environment in a few hours....

If anyone needs any input on NY programs or others I am happy to help! please ask

GOOD LUCK TO everyone! Hope you match to the place you are happiest!:luck::luck::luck::soexcited:

One more, the Boston programs are a mystery....BWH and MGH....any input

Remember to certify your rank list today! Good luck!

Cleveland is not the most happening place plus it gets really bad snow. All depends on whether programs need to be ranked based on place or other aspects. I think ranking should be based on gut feeling. Atleast that’s how I’m ranking programs.
Good luck on the match!

Cleveland is not the most happening place plus it gets really bad snow. All depends on whether programs need to be ranked based on place or other aspects. I think ranking should be based on gut feeling. Atleast that’s how I’m ranking programs.
Good luck on the match!
have you been/lived in cle?

cle is under the radar and under-appreciated...there is a great food scene there, the museum and symphony there are amazing, and there are all sorts of festivals and events going on to keep one occupied. Lake Erie and the surrounding lakes, provide a lot of things to do for the outdoorsy type. The cost of living there is great...though i agree the winters there are brutal (and I've worked in New England)...

but also agree with the gut feeling thing...rank the places that you feel you fit, however that may be...they have the research or faculty you want, the location is a good one for you, the size of the program is best for you...

Yes,I have been. I feel that calling a city a happening place is very subjective as we all have different tastes and likings.However, I wish all of us match at our top choices. Good luck to all!

Yes,I have been. I feel that calling a city a happening place is very subjective as we all have different tastes and likings. However, I wish all of us match at our top choices. Good luck to all!

Wow, thank you BOTH for honesty! Agree with you both! Loved CCF!

I must say I have ranked UPMC higher than UCSD due to being closer to home....really loved UCSD bit more than UPMC though I am still doubting myself, it was tough to rank these 2 on my list.... any thoughts just curious....

either way I will find out on 28th.....honestly, this ranking process was more stressful than I thought

Best of luck to all of my future colleagues! Looking forward to working with you guys! Also please let me know what you guys think of UCSD and UPMC, just curious....lol Even I already ranked UPMC higher due to location and clinical strength/diversity....but what would I know in one day, any of you know anything about UPMC faculty?

Best of LUCK!

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
Dear All,

Good luck with match, quick but a silly ? when do programs submit their rank list? Same time as we did.

Thanks
same time, I read... now we wait....I have changed my rank order so many times.....God knows what Nov 28th where we will be
GOOD luck everyone!:luck::luck::luck::highfive:

Only went to 5 interviews. We will see in 10 days!!
Good luck everyone!

Only went to 5 interviews. We will see in 10 days!!
Good luck everyone!

I have met people with 3-4 invites and have heard they have matched....I know its stressful but within the 3-4 rank, I think it should be good.
Hope this helps!

I am just curios; have you guys received any positive vibes/love letter from the programs?

there is no positive vibe or letters, all I can say everyone was mutually friendly, however the other 50% had "a poker face"...I was so busy w flights many I didn't get a chance to email.... at the end of the day the strength of your application and interview gives them everything they need. I don't think its important to them, i.e. for top programs or any programs...they already know what they want.

Good luck to everyone! Best wishes.:luck::luck::luck:
Feel free to ask questions....

I am just curios; have you guys received any positive vibes/love letter from the programs?

I did not hear from any programs or their interviewers which was odd. But I guess they are being very tight-lipped to avoid breaking any match rules. Just 8 more days!

I did not hear from any programs or their interviewers which was odd. But I guess they are being very tight-lipped to avoid breaking any match rules. Just 8 more days!

No worries. I went to 11 interviews and got no rank email at all. It is professional to not disclose program's ROL to affect candidates' decisions. Besides, I guess each program takes only 1-3 fellows each year and they interviewed 20-30 candidates and it would overall be very difficult for someone to be "ranked to match".

so, anyone matched ?? How is the statistics of rheum matching this year? any idea? More competitive or less?

Congrats to everyone who matched! Did people drop low on their lists?

Didn't match, only 3 interviews. Congratulations to all those that did match though!

Can anyone post the matching rate for rheumatology. They have it in the NRMP or ERAS when u log in.

358 Applicants, 233 Matched to Rheum (65.1%), 6 matched to other specialty (1.7%). 33.2% did not match to any program.

GI 64.4%
Cards 71.9%
Heme/Onc 75.7%
Pulm/CC 72.3%

upload_2018-11-28_15-8-7.png

Matched 4/8 but pretty dang excited. The trend of increasing competitiveness looks like it is continuing. Basically the same match rate as GI this year and significantly lower than any other specialty.

Does anybody know how many US applicants applied? Can't believe it was so competitive! Wow.

I have no idea what I have done wrong during my interviews - maybe not certain about my future plan? I don't think I acted like A-hole during the interviews. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I had 10 interviews this season. IMG, graduated from a community hospital program, pending permanent residency (thanks to the visa retrogression, I completed my GC interview and still waiting for green card approval. I keep this "pending" status until submission of ROL as I don't want to violate NRMP policy - now I don't know whether this is a smart act). Still, no luck as I end up unmatched. :depressed::depressed::depressed::depressed:

First apply for the 2016-2017 season, only got 4 interviews.
Skipped 2017-2018 to improve CV meanwhile working as primary care.
I have 12 PubMed publications (mainly meta-analyses but first author for 6 out of 12 publications) and a few more under publication when I applied for this season. I even went to ACR and other conferences to present 5 posters.

This field is getting ridiculously competitive. I don't know what else I should do to "improve" CV...feeling hopeless.:boom:

I have no idea what I have done wrong during my interviews - maybe not certain about my future plan? I don't think I acted like A-hole during the interviews. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I had 10 interviews this season. IMG, graduated from a community hospital program, pending permanent residency (thanks to the visa retrogression, I completed my GC interview and still waiting for green card approval. I keep this "pending" status until submission of ROL as I don't want to violate NRMP policy - now I don't know whether this is a smart act). Still, no luck as I end up unmatched. :depressed::depressed::depressed::depressed:

I have 12 PubMed publications (mainly meta-analyses but first author for 6 out of 12 publications) and a few more under publication when I applied for this season. I even went to ACR and other conferences to present 5 posters.

This field is getting ridiculously competitive. I don't know what else I should do to "improve" CV...feeling hopeless.:boom:

You are just unlucky that the specialty you are applying is getting more and more competitive. Matching rates this year are...
GI 64.4%
Rheum 65.1%
Cards 71.9%
Heme/Onc 75.7%
Pulm/CC 72.3%

Rheum is pretty much close to match rate for GI. But still people can argue that different candidates apply.. May be 5 years later, rheum candidates could be as competitive as GI. Who knows...You said you are first author for many metaanalysis and presented at ACR. You clearly have interest in rheum. The best chance you can do is approach to the rheum program director and publish paper and do research so that PD will want to take you....Put the PD name in your meta-analysis.. PDs need publications....

So, I am a graduating rheum fellow involved in the interview process. There were excellent candidates that we just didn't Have spots to interview. There’s were also candidates who looked amazing on paper... but were awful in the interview —> didn't make our rank list.

Here is what I would do:
1. Email the program coordinators and ask if any of the interviewers/programs can give feedback.
2. Trial interview with a honest, very very frank friend. I was surprise by some of the things candidates said, some phrasing, some ‘style’ choices. Definitely an interesting process on the other side.

And this year was incredibly competitive! We matched top X for X number of spots. It sounds like you look great on paper if you got 11 interviews, something MUST went wrong in the interview day that you weren’t aware of.

Good luck!

ETA: typing on iPad, tried correcting typos/stuff

Reactions: 1 user
So, I am a graduating rheum fellow involved in the interview process. There were excellent candidates that we just didn't Have spots to interview. There’s were also candidates who looked amazing on paper... but were awful in the interview —> didn't make our rank list.

Here is what I would do:
1. Email the program coordinators and ask if any of the interviewers/programs can give feedback.
2. Trial interview with a honest, very very frank friend. I was surprise by some of the things candidates said, some phrasing, some ‘style’ choices. Definitely an interesting process on the other side.

And this year was incredibly competitive! We matched top X for X number of spots. It sounds like you look great on paper if you got 11 interviews, something MUST went wrong in the interview day that you weren’t aware of.

Good luck!

ETA: typing on iPad, tried correcting typos/stuff
absolutely agree with this...bonbon, you got interviews, so on paper you were competitive...try to get feedback about your interviews to see what went wrong...something did, see if its something you can fix before next year.

Does anybody know how many US applicants applied? Can't believe it was so competitive! Wow.

It looks like a total of 358 applicants applied. 233 matched with the following breakdowns:

U.S. Grad - 120 (51.5%)
U.S. Foreign - 30 (12.9%)
Osteopathic - 25 (10.7%)
Foreign - 58 (24.9%)