rhythm strip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jok200

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does one determine which lead to use as the rhythm strip?

thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

I often see lead 2 used at many hospitals I rotated at.

any one will do, really.. but yeah, lead II or lead V5 is the one that I see most commonly on monitors and the like.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're getting a rhythm strip to identify the rhythm. So which lead allows you to easily identify the p-wave, the QRS complex, and (to a lesser extent) the T-wave? That's the one to run. Leads II or III tend to be the default on most monitors, but if your p-wave is low amplitude or isoelectric then switch until you find a lead that you can clearly identify the components of cardiac conduction.

So you're getting a rhythm strip to identify the rhythm. So which lead allows you to easily identify the p-wave, the QRS complex, and (to a lesser extent) the T-wave? That's the one to run. Leads II or III tend to be the default on most monitors, but if your p-wave is low amplitude or isoelectric then switch until you find a lead that you can clearly identify the components of cardiac conduction.

V1 is a good one usually to, but, what he said.

II is the one used a lot I think. Frankly, I'm a fan of V1 especially when you're looking at tachydysrrhythmias.