RIC externship application deadline is March 7th!

Started by axm397
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey! 🙂
Do you know when we'll hear back about whether we're accepted or not?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found out in the beginning of April.....albeit 2 years ago so things may have changed

This was largely the same for us, and our deadline was also the very beginning of April if I remember correctly. I would advise you to contact them about it since axm said the due date has changed, so the app timeline may have been shifted entirely. It doesn't seem like what happened in years prior will so much apply to this year.
 
I didn't even know PM&R existed between MS1 and 2 year.
I wish I would have. I would have loved to spent time at RIC (if I could) rather than a month doing peds and a month doing family
 
Did any lurkers get into the program? I'm on the wait list 🙁 <crosses fingers>
 
Well, congratulations. You did better than me. I was flat-out rejected. It's so arbitrary how they pick people for these things anyway...
 
You know, not too far away from RIC is Marionjoy, out in the suberbs. I did an externship there (waaaaaaayyyyyy back in the early 90's, so I'm an old fart here, but it's still there). I haven't heard of them charging you for it, yet. Just a thought of an alternative. It's really a great rehab hospital.
 
Well, congratulations. You did better than me. I was flat-out rejected. It's so arbitrary how they pick people for these things anyway...

Sorry to hear that clarabelle. I heard they got a ton more applications this year than previous years. It's hard to know how they choose...
 
Did any lurkers get into the program? I'm on the wait list 🙁 <crosses fingers>


I wasn't even aware that there was a waitlist. There were a few people who were accepted from my school, but one or two of them were hesitant to sign the contract since they were unaware of the hours. The best thing you could do if you're on the waitlist is probably to see if you can arrange to speak with the director in person. I think his name is on the site. Then you could present yourself as genuinely interested in PM&R. I think they just want people who can present a compelling argument as to why you want to spend your summer at RIC. This is probably a no-brainer on our ends, but it's about presenting yourself in a controlled-enthusiasm. Like the other post said, Marionjoy is in Wheaton, IL and has a great reputation. One of the PM&R docs who teaches at my school suggested that I go hang out there because it's very community-oriented. If you're a local, check it out. I think you'll like it.
 
RIC accepted me this morning! Can't wait to start!! 😀 Anyone have any advice about finding a place to live for the summer? Ideally I'd like to find a roommate who's in the program and share an apartment.
 
Once all the waitlist/acceptance, etc. settles down, ask Diane for a list of all the externs and their contact info so you can arrange housing. Last year, there were 4-5 students rooming together - I think that's great cuz it allows you to have a nice community of friends that you will keep in touch with for years to come. RIC has accepted many ex-externs 🙂 as residents.

Plus, you get to spend time when Chicago is at its best, you get paid good $$$, and get research on your CV. What's not to like? The hours aren't that bad - plus it's a great experience and you get weekends off. It's not like you have to take call or anything!!!:laugh:
 
RIC accepted me this morning! Can't wait to start!! 😀 Anyone have any advice about finding a place to live for the summer? Ideally I'd like to find a roommate who's in the program and share an apartment.


Congratulations! I did the externship last summer and had an amazing experience. Here's a link for short-term housing by Northwestern (RIC is on the Northwestern University medical campus): http://www.medschool.northwestern.edu/student-programs/studentresources/onoffcampus/tempapt.html[/URL]

On that link go to the "Northwestern University – Feinberg School of Medicine – Apartments for Rent List" section and email Linda Daniels (her email is on there). Let here know that you're doing the summer externship at RIC and would like a copy of the summer rent list. She'll email you a spreadsheet of apartments that Northwestern medical students are looking to sublet over the summer. I did this last summer and got a great deal on a nice apartment that was less than a five minute walk from RIC. I would get on this quickly because the good ones get taken fast.

You'll find out that RIC is in a very expensive area of Chicago and this your best opportunity to get affordable housing in that area. I'm sure most of the externs from last year would agree that living close to RIC is a definite plus. Let me know if you have any other questions.
 
RIC accepted me this morning! Can't wait to start!! 😀 Anyone have any advice about finding a place to live for the summer? Ideally I'd like to find a roommate who's in the program and share an apartment.
Congrats, you're in a for really great experience this summer (I did the externship 2 years ago)

As far as housing goes, I agree w/ the previous posters advice. I think your best bet is to try the NW student housing list for summer sublets.

If that doesn't work out for you I would rec looking into http://www.canterburycourtapartments.com/ . Its a furnished short-term rental place and seemed to be the only one in the area that was reasonably priced. I rented an apartment there w/ 2 other externs and it worked out really well. Its about 1 mile from RIC and 2 blocks from the beach. The shortest leases they offered were for 3 months....but it still worked out ok price-wise even though you'll only be there for 2 months.

Craigslist is also an option....but I had a beyotch of a time finding something on there for a reasonable price.

Good luck to you and to those on the waitlist
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to those heading to RIC this summer.

I was ecstatic when I found out last year. 😀

While living in downtown is definitely easier, it is a bit costly. 3 of us lived in Hyde Park (right next to U of Chicago - about 15 min drive and 30 min bus ride into downtown) last summer. I brought my car out from California and drove it home afterwards. One of us took the bus into downtown everyday, so it is possible if you'de like to save money.

http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/

has lots of very affordable housing since most of the UofC students go abroad/home for the summer months. ex: I paid $350/month utilities included.

good luck, and enjoy. it was such a great experience!
 
Does anybody know if it is possible to get any days off during the externship? I read on the contract that we have to be there for the entire time, but does that mean that there is no way to arrange for a long weekend (within reasonable notice, and it not being excessive time off)?
 
I would just bring that up with the attending during your first week. If it is just one day, with reasonable notice/reason, they will work with you.
 
Hey, does anybody know of any past externship participants who are from Midwestern University? I am looking for one or two that we could put our PM&R Club in touch with regarding details, etc. I emailed Ms. Ross at RIC, but have had trouble finding anybody specifically. If anybody knows, let me know and we can manage a non-public forum communication to hook things up. Thanks!
 
That's me.

Sounds like there will be good CCOM representation in the RIC externship this summer. Send me a message and we can set up a time to talk.