Rice/Baylor , USC/Keck , or Princeton ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kikkoman, they practically stopped accepting Stuy kids until this past year.

I noticed that they accepted all 5 ED applicants, and theorizing it was thanks to the new dean (Dean Rapelye) and a new policy towards stuy, applied RD.

Last year they accepted 7 stuy students, this year 16 stuy students.

I theorized correctly:

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2004/04/05/news/10132.shtml

The article in the Daily Princetonian discussing how faculty members were complaining of the lack of "stuy" students (as in the type of student). However....

"At her recent town-hall meeting, President Tilghman delighted at how many students from Stuyvesant were admitted this year, 16 versus seven last year, and explained her vision for admitting more students focused on the arts and humanities in the planned 500 student increase, beginning 2006, that had its roots in the study group."

Members don't see this ad.

Eugenie98 said:
Kikkoman, they practically stopped accepting Stuy kids until this past year.

I noticed that they accepted all 5 ED applicants, and theorizing it was thanks to the new dean (Dean Rapelye) and a new policy towards stuy, applied RD.

Last year they accepted about 6 or 7 stuy students, this year approximately 17 stuy students.

There's also an article in the Daily Princetonian discussing how faculty members were complaining of the lack of "stuy" students (as in the type of student).

That's really funny. I had a friend who told me that one year they accepted 35-40 from stuy and only 2 ended up going.

Another item to consider

Below is the Princeton Medical Acceptances to top 20 medical schools exclusive of state schools, sorted by acceptance rate, for the years 1998-2002:

Columbia 28.95% (104/382)
Baylor 26.36% (27/99)
Vanderbilt 22.88% (67/269)
Wash U St Louis 22.44% (61/284)
U Pennsylvania 16.76% (87/562)
Northwestern 16.59% (49/343)
Harvard 15.10% (71/516)
Yale 14.61% (53/438)
Emory 14.53% (40/282)
Johns Hopkins 13.16% (48/347)
Cornell 10.85% (60/525)
Duke 10.70% (51/442)
Stanford 10.65% (46/462)

At this point I'm leaning towards Princeton. The admission rate to Columbia, Baylor, and WASH U is amazing. Also, I'm an NY resident so I'll have a leg up in applying to SUNY schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eugenie98 said:
Another item to consider

Below is the Princeton Medical Acceptances to top 20 medical schools exclusive of state schools, sorted by acceptance rate, for the years 1998-2002:

Columbia 28.95% (104/382)
Baylor 26.36% (27/99)
Vanderbilt 22.88% (67/269)
Wash U St Louis 22.44% (61/284)
U Pennsylvania 16.76% (87/562)
Northwestern 16.59% (49/343)
Harvard 15.10% (71/516)
Yale 14.61% (53/438)
Emory 14.53% (40/282)
Johns Hopkins 13.16% (48/347)
Cornell 10.85% (60/525)
Duke 10.70% (51/442)
Stanford 10.65% (46/462)

At this point I'm leaning towards Princeton. The admission rate to Columbia, Baylor, and WASH U is amazing. Also, I'm an NY resident so I'll have a leg up in applying to SUNY schools.

on the other hand, right now you have a 100% chance of acceptance to Baylor.

True, however, Princeton is tops in every non-engineering field.

Where else can I have Burton Malkiel teach my Econ 101 class (author of a Random Walk Down Wall Street)?

or

Cornel West lead my philosophy 300 class?

I'm swinging back and forth between Rice/Baylor and Princeton. Where I stop, no one knows...

Yo it's not a hard decision. Take it from a guy who went to a top undergrad: go to Rice/Baylor. Rice will not close any doors for you should you decide not to go into medicine. And if you stick with med, you can always apply out of the program if Baylor's not your thing. I realize that as a HS senior the prestige of Princeton might seem huge to you now, but it's really not that big of a deal once you graduate.

zer0el said:
Yo it's not a hard decision. Take it from a guy who went to a top undergrad: go to Rice/Baylor. Rice will not close any doors for you should you decide not to go into medicine. And if you stick with med, you can always apply out of the program if Baylor's not your thing. I realize that as a HS senior the prestige of Princeton might seem huge to you now, but it's really not that big of a deal once you graduate.

I completely agree with this post. I'd suggest Rice/Baylor too. This is funny - this post reminds me exactly of the stanford vs. northwestern hpme one. Anyway, coming back to Rice/Baylor vs. Princeton... Rice will not close any doors for you. It will open plenty. You'll be more relaxed there, not having to take the MCAT and not having to apply. You'll save money - when I was choosing undergraduate schools, I was very close to choosing Rice because it would have saved my parents a lot of money (for me, location was more of a factor). In any case, best of luck with your decision.

Another item to consider is that Baylor may not turn out to be the right med school for you at the age of 21/22, although it seems that way now. I loved Baylor when I was in college... until I interviewed there this year and hated it. NOTHING against Baylor at all, it's just that different schools are right for different people. It sounds like you'll be a top med school applicant by the end of college anyway, so I would go to Princeton and work on figuring out who you want to be as a human being. Top colleges can open doors that you don't even know exist when you're 18. The right med school will fall into place after that... (cue music: *to everything there is a season*)
sorry, couldn't help myself :laugh: but I do mean it. If it sounds too philosophical, PM me and I'll tell you more about my college and med school application experiences, both of which were wonderful.

MissM said:
Another item to consider is that Baylor may not turn out to be the right med school for you at the age of 21/22, although it seems that way now. I loved Baylor when I was in college... until I interviewed there this year and hated it. NOTHING against Baylor at all, it's just that different schools are right for different people. It sounds like you'll be a top med school applicant by the end of college anyway, so I would go to Princeton and work on figuring out who you want to be as a human being. Top colleges can open doors that you don't even know exist when you're 18. The right med school will fall into place after that... (cue music: *to everything there is a season*)
sorry, couldn't help myself :laugh: but I do mean it. If it sounds too philosophical, PM me and I'll tell you more about my college and med school application experiences, both of which were wonderful.

I think she brings up good points. I guess, the big decision is Rice vs. Princeton, and that will depend on how your personality fits into the schools. Oh, and Princeton sucks - remember that too.

kikkoman said:
I think she brings up good points. I guess, the big decision is Rice vs. Princeton, and that will depend on how your personality fits into the schools. Oh, and Princeton sucks - remember that too.

I agree. Go where you will be happiest for undergrad. At first it sounded like that was Rice (because of your visits) but more recently it sounds like that may be Princeton (because of its prestige).

MissM said:

of course, OP can always apply out of Rice with a baylor slot in his back pocket. wont that be nice?

Stuy really sucks ass doesn't it? Is Schimmel still teaching BC? Ahh pi day brings back memories.....

Anyway, as someone that has taken a very circuitous route from Stuy down to the Houston area (and is currently exploring medical school for next year), is that you are still quite young and things can still change on a dime. College really IS the time in your life to kick back and really "discover" who you are as a person. To that end, I would say that going from the diverse melting pot of Stuy and NYC, and going to Princeton could be a culture shock of sorts, and not in a beneficial way. From what I understand, this school is still a thriving part of the old boys network, and as such, diversity of race and of class is really lacking to a great degree.

Houston on the other hand has the cultural and class diversity of a major city. It is very different from NYC (gotta drive most places damnit), but it provides the resources of a large urban center, which are lacking in that part of jersey. I would say you have to really consider what is important to you. Coming out of stuy, I was very focused on academic success, but what I truly learned in college was not the value of getting a lot of A's, it was the great experiences and friends which shaped the person I have become. In other words, if these are the two undergrad institutions that you are presented with, you must be honest with yourself and what your goals really are. The differences between the schools I am sure is pretty apparent to you by this time. Go with your gut and not the Stuy mentality.

being from texas and having spent weekends in Houston (leading to my turning down Rice for undergrad), I just want to make sure people realize two things:

1. Rice is not necessarily less stressful than Princeton. The students are just as smart and the classes probably about as rigorous. Any Rice students want to confirm this?

2. Houston weather is awful. There's a reason people call it the "armpit of Texas"

Members don't see this ad :)
paco said:
being from texas and having spent weekends in Houston (leading to my turning down Rice for undergrad), I just want to make sure people realize two things:

1. Rice is not necessarily less stressful than Princeton. The students are just as smart and the classes probably about as rigorous. Any Rice students want to confirm this?

2. Houston weather is awful. There's a reason people call it the "armpit of Texas"

yes the classes are just as tough as at Princeton (ex girlfriend goes there), but Rice/Baylor only requires a 3.2 and no MCAT, so that definitely alleviates a lot of stress. Yes the weather is aterrible, but that shouldn't play a major role in any decision here. I would also like to debase the claims people are making here that Rice would close doors for the OP. This is simply not true, you have plenty of academic reputation to fall back on here. People know Rice, and they know what it takes do to well here.

I think it's hard at 17ish to know what you truly want to do as a career, let alone medicine.

I'll be at med school this August but I'm clear that there is still much I do not know about medicine.

Go where you want to spend the next 4 yrs. As others have said, if you can get into these great BA/MD programs, you're obviously got the talent/potential to do well and go where ever you want afterwards. One of my good friends gave up all her BA/MD programs (including the Brown one) to attend Columbia (and gave up Harvard, Princeton as well) and will be attending Harvard Med this August. She wasn't 100% sure of medicine at 17 and wanted to go where she could explore her options and at an institution that would be well suited for that.

I spent the afternoon looking at how my time would be spent at Rice/Baylor (not applying out), Rice/Baylor (applying out), and Princeton (applying to medical school, or not applying to medical school).

For Rice/Baylor (not applying out), I would be able to take approximately 75% of my courses in non-pre-med areas. If I were to major in econ, I could take 75% of my courses in econ, or better yet, earn an M.A. in my fourth year.

For Rice/Baylor (applying out), I would be able to take approximately 65% of my courses in non-pre-med areas. If I were to major in econ, I could take 65% of my courses in econ, or better yet, earn an M.A. in my fourth year.

For Princeton (applying to medical), I would be able to take approximately 35% of my courses in non-pre-med areas. If I were to major in econ, I could take 35% of my courses in econ.

For Princeton (not applying to medical), if I were to major in econ, I could take 65% of my courses in econ (Princeton has many more distro requirements, none are satisfied by APs).

Wow, it looks as though I can take just as much economics or philosophy or chemistry at Rice/Baylor (applying out), as a plain old non-premed Princeton major!

Pre-med Princeton vs. Rice/Baylor (not applying out) is incredibly contrasted: 35% versus 75%!

jdovez said:
Stuy really sucks ass doesn't it? Is Schimmel still teaching BC? Ahh pi day brings back memories.....

She sure is! I had her sophomore year for BC, and I was sitting in her classroom at 8:45AM September 11th, 2001 when there was a huge boom and Ms. Fishman (devil incarnate whom I had for pre-cal freshman year, and who apparently found satan since she's now married to a Mr. Vollaro) came screaming into the classroom. I'll certainly never forget that particular class. I also probably have early-stage mesothelioma (we returned to ground zero area on October 19th, 2001 when there was tons of crap in the air and the dump trucks rolled by and dumped their garbage into a barge right next to school)

Was Ms. Schimmel really in Playboy? She rocks!

Ahh we digress..

BerkeleyPremed said:
If at ANY point in your undergraduate career, you decide that medicine may not be for you...you'll definitely be glad you decided on Princeton because that school can open up doors for you that no other school can. I'm sure Princeton alumni are well connected in politics, business, law, etc...so your options would be open.

Berkeley and kikkoman really hit the nail on the head here. In my short-lived application experience, Pton doesn't really turn out that many MD applicants. You may be more likely to choose a field other than medicine based on the company you'd be surrounded by at Pton.

hey-

a litlte misinformation about pton has been flowing. pton turns out about 175 med school applicants per year out of a class of about 1175 right now, so thats a fairly substantial number. also, only 9 of the 33 classes i have taken at pton are "required" med school classes. so that is a lot of elective time. also, pton applicants do extremely well in the process, so going there wouldn't really hurt your chances. i go to princeton and i would still probably go to rice/baylor, but you should have all the info at hand before you choose this weekend.

y

I had totally forgot about fishman......she really is a biatch...the only test I ever failed in my life was in her class and it was curved!!! It was the last in the Sequential series and I was a freshman.....man I hated her bigtime!

Sorry for the digression, not sure about schim in playboy, but that would be an interesting thought, I hope it would have been from many decades ago though. Anyhow, best of luck to you, you really are dealing with gravy and from the sounds of it no matter where you decide, you will have a fruitful career. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice jdovez!

I'm looking at the apps on MDApplicants.com and they're astounding.
I hope there's some self-selection bias there, specifically lots of very qualified, pissed off people who were somehow rejected from many of the top 15 medical schools who aren't representative of the majority of med applicants.

Looking at their stats and what they have managed to accomplish and to still be rejected at all their dream schools, it makes me just slightly lightheaded.

Perhaps exmike is right.

hey Eugenie98

i am actually in a similar boat so i can understand how frustrated you are. i just decided to take northwestern's hpme over stanford, though it was such a grueling and difficult situation. in the end, $$$ and having a set future were a lot more important than a leg up in prestige. after looking over the data for pre-med acceptances and talking to stanford students, i realized that ive got something right now that most stanford pre-meds would kill for, an acceptance to a top med school. do i really wanna spend the next 3/4 years working incredibly hard for what i already had once? looking over mdapplicants.com is a bit humbling becuz i realize that those students that manage the 3.7s and 36+ on their MCATs dont always get what we already have. comin outta a school like stuy, u prob understand extreme competition and itll only get worse at princeton, where everyones very smart and curves can make or break you. if uve decided that u wont b happy anywhere but princeton, than take it, but otherwise, i think you should look beyond prestige.

yg1786 said:
hey Eugenie98

i am actually in a similar boat so i can understand how frustrated you are. i just decided to take northwestern's hpme over stanford, though it was such a grueling and difficult situation. in the end, $$$ and having a set future were a lot more important than a leg up in prestige. after looking over the data for pre-med acceptances and talking to stanford students, i realized that ive got something right now that most stanford pre-meds would kill for, an acceptance to a top med school. do i really wanna spend the next 3/4 years working incredibly hard for what i already had once? looking over mdapplicants.com is a bit humbling becuz i realize that those students that manage the 3.7s and 36+ on their MCATs dont always get what we already have. comin outta a school like stuy, u prob understand extreme competition and itll only get worse at princeton, where everyones very smart and curves can make or break you. if uve decided that u wont b happy anywhere but princeton, than take it, but otherwise, i think you should look beyond prestige.

nicely said! congrats!

yg1786, I thought Northwestern does not grant merit scholarships, am I mistaken?

I chose Rice/Baylor yesterday morning and spent the day convincing my parents (my mother's Asian, my dad's Spanish, mostly attempting to convince my mother) that Rice/Baylor is the right choice for me.

I will be sending in the matriculation letter to Rice/Baylor and withdrawal letters to Cal, UCLA, UMich, USC/Keck, and Princeton tomorrow.

In case anyone is wondering, the six bases for my decision:
1) I don't believe a Princeton/Other Med School($335,000) education to be worth $215,000 more than a Rice/Baylor education ($120,000)
2) I took quite a number of AP courses, and to have them worth absolutely nothing in college, that is not appealing to me.
3) I can do much more independent work with health policy/management at Rice/Baylor/TMC than at Princeton. I can also spend my summers volunteering for the sake of volunteering, researching for the sake of researching, not because "everyone who is applying to med school is doing it, so i have to do it." I hated that in high school, which is why I quit Key Club and refused to join the hypocritical cheaters at Arista. Additionally, MD Anderson is next door, where better to do research or volunteer?
4) I had a better time at my Rice visitations
5) Looking at the MDApplicants website has been humbling. I have a feeling the competition at Princeton is even keener than that at Stuyvesant. In my opinion, better to have the bird in the hand. After all, who says I can't go for the two in the bush as well.
6) Should I decide to not enter the medical field, the data I've looked at indicates that graduating from Rice with an M.A. (an option with my AP credits) would eliminate any salary advantage Princeton offers. Additionaly, after taking the undergraduate tuition difference into account ($120,000), I would have a net lower salary graduating from Princeton than graduating from Rice.

Thanks to everyone for his or her advice. There's still 24 hours until the deadline, so if you have any other thoughts, please post them!

Eugenie98 said:
yg1786, I thought Northwestern does not grant merit scholarships, am I mistaken?

I chose Rice/Baylor yesterday morning and spent the day convincing my parents (my mother's Asian, my dad's Spanish, mostly attempting to convince my mother) that Rice/Baylor is the right choice for me.

I will be sending in the matriculation letter to Rice/Baylor and withdrawal letters to Cal, UCLA, UMich, USC/Keck, and Princeton tomorrow.

In case anyone is wondering, the six bases for my decision:
1) I don't believe a Princeton/Other Med School($335,000) education to be worth $215,000 more than a Rice/Baylor education ($120,000)
2) I took quite a number of AP courses, and to have them worth absolutely nothing in college, that is not appealing to me.
3) I can do much more independent work with health policy/management at Rice/Baylor/TMC than at Princeton. I can also spend my summers volunteering for the sake of volunteering, researching for the sake of researching, not because "everyone who is applying to med school is doing it, so i have to do it." I hated that in high school, which is why I quit Key Club and refused to join the hypocritical cheaters at Arista. Additionally, MD Anderson is next door, where better to do research or volunteer?
4) I had a better time at my Rice visitations
5) Looking at the MDApplicants website has been humbling. I have a feeling the competition at Princeton is even keener than that at Stuyvesant. In my opinion, better to have the bird in the hand. After all, who says I can't go for the two in the bush as well.
6) Should I decide to not enter the medical field, the data I've looked at indicates that graduating from Rice with an M.A. (an option with my AP credits) would eliminate any salary advantage Princeton offers. Additionaly, after taking the undergraduate tuition difference into account ($120,000), I would have a net lower salary graduating from Princeton than graduating from Rice.

Thanks to everyone for his or her advice. There's still 24 hours until the deadline, so if you have any other thoughts, please post them!

Good stuff. Being comfortable in your decision is the only thing that ultimately matters, and for what it's worth, I think you made the right choice.

I think (3) is key - that kind of flexibility will allow you to grow a lot as a person, rather than being pigeon-holed into a mold.

for me location would be the biggest issue.

congrats and good luck!!

crazy eyes said:
Guys, I am soon to be graduated from Baylor Med. My advice is go to Princeton, not because I dislike Rice or Baylor (quite on the contrary- it is the best medical school in the country when one looks at price and curriculum flexibility/personal tailored curriculm) nor do I dislike USC- a very solid private school. Go to Princeton, dont worry about the money, you will pay it back some day- just take out loans! Princeton will open up all doors for you and should you decide you want medicine then you can so return to Baylor or go elsewhere should you choose. Just dont lock yourself into a lifestyle that might not be what you want. So many people go to medical school wanting to save lives, wanting to be a pediatric surgeon or a neurosurgeon, then when they realize what it really entails and how much (actually how little) free time and how little control of their own schedule they are going to have for the rest of their life they change their mind and pick the easiest schedule for the most money-- thus the popularity with Derm, radiology, radiation oncology etc. Believe me, no one likes looking at zits and skin ulcers all day long, they do it because they sold out on medicine and just want a good lifestyle with good pay. Same with radiology, you sit in a dark room all day, no patient encounters... how many people would have gotten into medical school if they said they dont want to interact with patients and want to sit in a dark room all day. Point is this, too early to make such a huge decision-- go where you will have all options open to you. Believe me- dental school, law school, business school seem like good options to me now. quicker- more earning potential, and patient care is still possible in dentistry. In retrospect I would much more like to go into dentistry than into radiology or dermatology.
Good luck. :D

I think that people who didn't go to high school in Texas underestimate Rice because it isn't well known outside of Texas. I would hardly say that Princeton "opens" that many more doors. Granted, the student body is slightly more qualified (although many people, myself included, have a beef with the priority put on the academic quality of the students vs. other "top" schools), but Rice has some of the cream of the crop, especially from Texas schools, many of whom had the choice to go other places.

I suppose the value of Princeton in providing flexibility over Rice holds for a few areas - government service particularly - I don't feel that that fact in this case is strong enough to swing a decision one way or another.

;) Most of the ophtho's I've met are satisfied with their compensation and lifestyle.

I've worn glasses all my life and had a few eye problems, never viewed opthos as sell-outs.

The only complaints I've heard are in regard to optometrists trying to move onto ophtho turf.

crazy eyes, no offense intended, but I'm not sure what good "lifestyle" and "better earning potential" you are referring to in terms of law, business, or dentistry. I've explored all those options and frankly, they really aren't for me (well in terms of business I looked into finance, accounting, and actuarial work)

In finance: 110 hour workweeks as an analyst in a bulge-bracket firm competing to see who can kiss the most hiney and leave the greatest number of silly little notes showing how early you arrived like "4am, we should talk about XYZ investment model". :thumbdown: I'm sure that as you sit in your chair and see all the poop that the associates have dumped into your inbox you'll be glad you chose this profession. Sure they can make $80k their first year after bonus, but they work 100hoursx50 weeks = 5000 hours. That's $16 an hour for three years, with no social life, tons of grueling travel, and incredibly boring and stupid work (the creation of pitchbooks).

If you kiss enough hiney, you get to go to an MBA program where you waste $80,000 and learn nothing but get MBA attached to your name (well known fact of life). Then you return as an associate, and get to repeat the same poop for another five years, however you make between $120k-$200k/yr doing it. After the five years you're 30, and have: high blood pressure, ulcers, hair loss, a bonus rewards card at the local gentlemen's club, a wife who hates you because you're never at home, a billion airline miles, and a bad liver. At this point, if you haven't lost your job in the past eight years due to an economic downturn, either you get promoted to Vice-President and get to be the one doing the pooping, or you stay for another five years until you can't take it anymore and move into another field. You have ZERO independence. You also have to have the "I like to step on people, and backstab them" mentality. :eek: That's just not for me.

In law: one must experience the joy of 2200 billable hours, 110 hour workweeks as an associate in a law firm. :mad: First, you head off to law school for three years, where, luckily, you actually learn something (compared to b-school). Hopefully you go to a top 7 law school, otherwise you're screwed when it comes to hiring at the six figure firms. I hope you like the commute in NY or LA, cuz that's where you'll have live. After law school, you work as an associate, generally for seven to nine years. Many top law-firms have the up or out policy, if you ain't partner in ten years, you're a very expensive associate and you're outta there.

So you're 35 years old, earned an average of $170k a year, worked 110 hours per week and have: high blood pressure, ulcers, hair loss, a wife who hates you because you're never at home, and a bad liver. You also have no independence, unless you start your own firm (which is much more difficult in law than medicine). That's just not for me. :eek:

Cleaning, drilling, and staring at peoples mouths and gums all day is a job I would never want. It sounds as boring as derm. I think orthodontistry seems interesting and in other life perhaps I will try that.

On the other hand restoring vision to a three year old, performing palliative tumor obliteration, or setting a broken leg.. that is what I'm interested in.
True, it's FOUR years of medical school to receive that MD, but afterwards, as a resident you work 80 hours a week maximum. If your program allows, you can moonlight and work more and go into the six digits. Sounds like a better rite of passage to me. You actually learn something and help people using scientific principles... do not solely learn how to kiss hiney (although I'm sure that's a component).

And despite everyone's complaints, docs have the highest job satisfaction rate of any major profession. ;)

My apologies. Just being blunt and laying it out as I've seen it. I guess you could say it's in the style of Monkey Business (great book!, although it seems slightly exaggerated)

you should have gone to princeton...kikkoman certainly bleeds crimson arrogance, that's for sure. you think rice = princeton? come on, for a typical princeton kid, baylor is not even in their top 5 for med school picks. if you want to get a top notch and prestigious education, princeton is the way to go. You can get alot farther with a Pton degree...and you'd be foolish if you think the only thing you get from your undergrad is just a name on a piece of paper. It's also about your development...dare i say your "breeding".

people posture as though seeking prestige is completely stupid...if that were case, everyone would be buying pimped out camry's and highlanders instead of es330's and rx330's. anyone who writes location as cambridge mass is obviously no better. i mean, even a dollar store watch tells time, and the food at a 4 star restaurant isn't much better tasting than cheesecake factory.

why live in martha's vineyard when you can get a house on a NC beach for much less?

hell, why be an MD, when a PA does nearly the same thing without the respect? Are you a money *****? why not just get a DO? its the same thing, right? right? RIGHT!? [deafening silence, of course]

you turned down pton and that awesome UNDERGRAD experience...i'm sure those rice kids will have you line dancin' in no time partn'er! who needs an eating club...when there's sizzler's buffet!

p.s.: just pissed when people get all wound up about seeking prestige...everyone does it to some extent, its not a crime to have your unique worth validated in some way by society.

bearpaw said:
you should have gone to princeton...kikkoman certainly bleeds crimson arrogance, that's for sure. you think rice = princeton? come on, for a typical princeton kid, baylor is not even in their top 5 for med school picks. if you want to get a top notch and prestigious education, princeton is the way to go. You can get alot farther with a Pton degree...and you'd be foolish if you think the only thing you get from your undergrad is just a name on a piece of paper. It's also about your development...dare i say your "breeding".

I was expecting to get attacked a lot earlier, but I was hoping it would make some sense. I don't go to Harvard, so its difficult for me to bleed this so called "crimson arrogance" - but I do have a lot of respect for Rice as an institution. Probably more, overall, than I do for Princeton. And among people who are very familiar with both institutions, I'm might be in the minority, but im not an exception.

bearpaw said:
you turned down pton and that awesome UNDERGRAD experience...i'm sure those rice kids will have you line dancin' in no time partn'er! who needs an eating club...when there's sizzler's buffet!

p.s.: just pissed when people get all wound up about seeking prestige...everyone does it to some extent, its not a crime to have your unique worth validated in some way by society.

I don't think this thread was ever about "prestige" in the abstract sense, but more so in how eugene would benefit from each experience. Princeton was appealling because of the reasons behind the name - the faculty and the recognition among medical schools. Rice was appealing for a whole other host of reasons.

Validation through general prestige from going to a school, i.e, the "oh, you went to princeton, you must be sooo smart!!!", although appealing for some who haven't received that kind of validation, can be a real pain (and great annoyance) for those who do get it. That's why a lot of grads from top places are pretty low-key about where they went.

bearpaw, I wouldn't talk about arrogance if I were you... in fact you probably should be concerned with taking your head out of your nether region.

first of all, the kids at Rice aren't country bumpkin types. I'm from New York City, so unless you come from the planet of Coruscant, there isn't a more developed Western metropolis to baseline your judgement.

Out of the hundred or so students I met over the course of my four days at Rice, there were a total of two who had southern twangs.

I'm a numbers man: look at the interquartile SAT range for students at Rice. It's 1320-1520. That's better than: JHU, Cornell, UChicago, Northwestern, and Columbia. That's par with Duke, Dartmouth, and UPenn.

Second, kikkoman goes to MIT, if you had learned how to read, you would know that.

Third, my suitemate at Rice sure was a hick, he drove that good ol' country southern BMW X5. So before you go shooting off at the mouth, dare I say, go and check your facts..

P.S. Poor John Doerr, I guess when he earns that few billion $$$ from his investment in Google, (you know, he's that partner at Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield and Byers who bought 20% of Google for $25 million and went to Rice), he won't know where to spend it since he went to this here hick school. He might end up buying a Sizzler's.. or more likely donating dough to have a building named after him at Rice...

Or that hick CEO of AMD, Hector Ruiz, damn he must not know how to operate those millions in stock options. Them newfangled yankee inventions.

bearpaw said:
people posture as though seeking prestige is completely stupid...if that were case, everyone would be buying pimped out camry's and highlanders instead of es330's and rx330's. anyone who writes location as cambridge mass is obviously no better. i mean, even a dollar store watch tells time, and the food at a 4 star restaurant isn't much better tasting than cheesecake factory.

wait, isn't that why people rice up accord/civics? the food IS better, you just have to know how to taste it.

Eugenie98 said:
bearpaw, I wouldn't talk about arrogance if I were you... in fact you probably should be concerned with taking your head out of your nether region.

first of all, the kids at Rice aren't country bumpkin types. I'm from New York City, so unless you come from the planet of Coruscant, there isn't a more developed Western metropolis to baseline your judgement.

Out of the hundred or so students I met over the course of my four days at Rice, there were a total of two who had southern twangs.

I'm a numbers man: look at the interquartile SAT range for students at Rice. It's 1320-1520. That's better than: JHU, Cornell, UChicago, Northwestern, and Columbia. That's par with Duke, Dartmouth, and UPenn.

Second, kikkoman goes to MIT, if you had learned how to read, you would know that.

Third, my suitemate at Rice sure was a hick, he drove that good ol' country southern BMW X5. So before you go shooting off at the mouth, dare I say, go and check your facts..

P.S. Poor John Doerr, I guess when he earns that few billion $$$ from his investment in Google, (you know, he's that partner at Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield and Byers who bought 20% of Google for $25 million and went to Rice), he won't know where to spend it since he went to this here hick school. He might end up buying a Sizzler's.. or more likely donating dough to have a building named after him at Rice...

Or that hick CEO of AMD, Hector Ruiz, damn he must not know how to operate those millions in stock options. Them newfangled yankee inventions.

when you go to rice, find out how many of them were rejected from the ivies, Duke, stanford, and mit. I would bet very few of the students there chose rice over those schools unless offered some money incentive, similar to wash u undergrad does, or because they rather stay close to home. Hell, every state school offers a scholars program that gives "ivy caliber" students a "special" experience with a few honors classes, a full ride and then some, and usually better housing arrangements. If you don't have money, certainly i guess your only option is to go to the cheaper school, but princeton doesn't even give loans anymore, so i don't think people EVER turn down princeton for rice. Unless of coures, you add baylor, which does give one incentive to do so.

Look, you're getting a good deal, a good comprimise. You're definately going to med school. But the thing is, there is more to life than just going to med school. You'll be missing out on alot of things, you can call yourself a "numbers man" or whatever, but some things aren't so simply quantified. You can get the same MCAT score going to community college and some really worthless 10th tier state school, but why would you do that? Everyone who is motivated enough to pursue medicine cares enough to go to the best possible school, and inflated SAT averages don't equate quality (inflated because of the money they give).

Ok, i'll confess, rice offered me a full ride in HS too. I know all about rice.

From my understanding, there are quite a few accomplished princeton alums out there...so just don't go there. Really, that's not an argument worth discussing. As far as you bashing me, the strength of my argument is not in my words but in the truth behind them. These things will haunt you:

anytime you have a bad day at rice, or meet some idiot kid and wonder how they got in, or some teacher just isn't up to snuff, you'll think about Princeton. Anytime you say proudly "I go to rice" and someone looks at you quizzically, you'll think about Princeton (Might not happen in texas, but it WILL happen nearly everywhere else). You're from NYC, perhaps you forget that princeton is in prime location to go there and to philly. Well, rice is close to ...you'll have to excuse me on that.

Rice is a good school. I know that. But turning Princeton down for it is stupid, especially since you're going to pay to go to both rice and baylor. Anyone smart enough to go to princeton on academics can succeed in the med school game tremendously. My friend has his mcat course taught by a princeton kid with a full ride to michigan. I have a friend from harvard choosing his duke ride over michigan's. They are spending less than you, cowboy, and they got better schools to boot.

I am not telling you this advice to be mean or to give myself a boost. I am just being honest with you, not just how i feel, but based on what i've learned. You'll be hard pressed to find a pton alum wishing they went to rice/baylor instead. What's your motivation? The best education you can get? The most money you could possibly make? The most money you can possible save on tuition? The most security you can have? I guess you're going with the two latter points.

You're going to a pretty good undergrad. And then a pretty good med. You're life is gonna be pretty good.

But, what would it have been had you gone to princeton? People will tell you they would not have traded THEIR undergrad experiences for anything, but the opinion of someone who has not been accepted to princeton is useless in this regard (if someone tells you they prefer to have a toyota over a rolls, their opinion is worthless unless they are as wealthy as a typical rolls owner, wouldn't you agree?). Posting publically about your ivy league decision alienates people who did not have that option and they become defensive about it. IF i ever complain about school, someone is always quick to say "I love blah state university." They do this to make me feel like i missed out on something, to project the image that somehow I messed up and am missing out.

If you talk about choosing between a 10 million dollar a year job vs. a 50k one, online most people will find something endearing in the 50k job and encourage you to do it. The best answer you'll get is "do whatever makes you happy", with an emphasis that the better job will be the lower paying one ("you can bond with your fellow workers...who wants to be a big mean boss anyway?". In reality, 99% of people would take the money job, no matter what it was (within reason of course).

These sites are notorious for acting like no one cares about money or prestige. If you say prestige or money is a factor, people who are invariably jealous comment that you're the scum of the earth and won't make a good doctor. Of course, this mindset is NOT reflected in any med school year, as of course, the most lucrative and cushy jobs are ALWAYS the most selective. Very few people actually live out the BS they spew here.

So yeah, i say go to princeton. If you wanted advice, you should have talked to princeton alums, rice alums, top med school alums, and baylor med alums. I believe they would concur with me. Why do you think your mother wants you to go to princeton? Its not just bragging rights, she cares about YOU more than you probably do yourself. But ask someone from a regular school, they will tell you to go elsewhere because that way you're no better than them ("why would you want to go to a snob school?"). Anyway, no matter what you're still ok. have fun in college, goodluck with it all, it can be unforgettable.

Alright look bearpaw I'm just about sick of all this Rice bashing. The fact is I do personally know many people here that turned down schools such as MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Duke, and Harvard to come here (sometimes with good scholarships). And you will find those people at every school that you wonder how they got in, even at Princeton. Furthermore, noone, I repeat noone would look at you strange if you proudly stated you graduated from Rice, anyone that knows anything about college recognizes the strength of the academic program and the school. Anyone you talk to here has a great experience during undergrad, and all of my friends that are Rice/ Baylor love both schools. I love Baylor, and it is also a very prestigious med school. Even the OP mentioned that he loved his stay during owl weekend more than his Pton stay. Basically, they are both comparable schools, Pton only has a greater name recognition among non academics (something our new President David Leebron - former Deam of Columbia Law - wishes to fix). I say stop bashing Rice when you know damn well it's as good a school as any, whether or not anyone else knows it isn't the point, the OP should go where he would be happy, he doesn't deserve us providing such blatantly biased opinions. Good luck with what is a very difficult decision . I would chose Rice/Baylor in a heartbeat , but that's just my $.02

phaeton_1 said:
Alright look bearpaw I'm just about sick of all this Rice bashing. The fact is I do personally know many people here that turned down schools such as MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Duke, and Harvard to come here (sometimes with good scholarships). And you will find those people at every school that you wonder how they got in, even at Princeton. Furthermore, noone, I repeat noone would look at you strange if you proudly stated you graduated from Rice, anyone that knows anything about college recognizes the strength of the academic program and the school. Anyone you talk to here has a great experience during undergrad, and all of my friends that are Rice/ Baylor love both schools. I love Baylor, and it is also a very prestigious med school. Even the OP mentioned that he loved his stay during owl weekend more than his Pton stay. Basically, they are both comparable schools, Pton only has a greater name recognition among non academics (something our new President David Leebron - former Deam of Columbia Law - wishes to fix). I say stop bashing Rice when you know damn well it's as good a school as any, whether or not anyone else knows it isn't the point, the OP should go where he would be happy, he doesn't deserve us providing such blatantly biased opinions. Good luck with what is a very difficult decision . I would chose Rice/Baylor in a heartbeat , but that's just my $.02

your final point would be "somewhat" poignant had you gotten into princeton and gone to rice.

haha ok ok, i was just trying to make a point. Maybe one day rice = princeton, but its not the case today and i'd would not bet on it. Every school is trying to improve its rep, haha, its not like every other top school is resting on their laurels. Eliminating loans is something only a handful of schools can afford to do. Columbia law? Would you be writing that out if he was the former dean of UT austin's law school too? Yeah, i thought so.

Look, i'm not saying rice is bad. Its a toyato vs. a benz, or if rice is a benz, a benz vs. bentley. Both are good schools, but there is an obvious better choice. I hate to say it...but kids are also liars. I went to an interview at EVMS and this boy who went there was saying how he got interviews or into like every school ranked under 25, like AECOM, MS, BU, UVa or something...i mean, who are we kidding here? He was obviously a disgruntled gunner searching for some validation to fill up the empty of his own inadequacies. I could tell because he was dropping names when no one was asking. Plenty of people have told me that they've gotten into places that i doubt they actually got into...my friend at Wash U noticed the same thing...he says half the kids say they got into penn (with the same people saying they wish they'd gotten into an ivy when they're drunk!). My ex girlfriend had a 1540? Then why did she get F's on exams she studied for intensely...hmmm, something doesn't add up, haha. Did you choose rice over HYP? Would you have? that's my point.

Look, if you compare a toyota to a bmw, the toyota will get bashed. It does not make it a bad car. But if you're looking for approval in a certain group of people, its not going to happen. That's the price you pay for that awesome scholarship or not being able to get into a "traditional" top school. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Of course, isn't there a book about the "hidden ivies?". Perhaps rice will be in there...and if someone does not know how good it is, i am sure it will be handy to carry a copy of the us news rankings around, just to validate your point. I am sure everyone will be very impressed. Of course, unless they look to the top of the list, where princeton perpetually lies.

Some people choose Toyota over BMW. You may wonder why, but they have their own reasons.

The USNews ranking is designed to place Princeton and Harvard on top. Read what happened when statisticians adjusted the formula, and Caltech ended up on top (a school which you supposedly hold in high esteem and which beats Princeton and Harvard in every area except graduation rate b/c of their tough curriculum). The following year they had to create new variables which would purposely punish Caltech and MIT and UChicago and reward Princeton and Harvard.

bearpaw said:
My friend has his mcat course taught by a princeton kid with a full ride to michigan. I have a friend from harvard choosing his duke ride over michigan's. They are spending less than you, cowboy, and they got better schools to boot.

A. So yeah, i say go to princeton. If you wanted advice, you should have talked to princeton alums, rice alums, top med school alums, and baylor med alums.

B. I believe they would concur with me. Why do you think your mother wants you to go to princeton? Its not just bragging rights, she cares about YOU more than you probably do yourself.

Well lets see here. Your friends must have gotten a nice financial aid package during their undergrad years, otherwise there is no way I'll be paying more going to Rice/Baylor compared to the Harvard/Duke character, oh fearless leader.

Oh and it doesn't matter if I'm paying more than he is, all that matters is if I'm paying more going to Rice/Baylor than if I did Harvard/Duke, Princeton/Duke, Princeton/UMich, etc... (take a moment to think about it, I know you Tufts people have a little problem with the math). If I go to Princeton, I'll be paying $170,000. Unless Duke or UMich pays me $18,000, there's no way a full ride at either school would still end up being less...

A. I spoke to my Princeton host when I was staying over at Princeton, he was a pre-med, econ concentrator, and he would have taken Rice/Baylor over Princeton.

The chick next door at my Rice visit was accepted at Stanford, turned it down for Rice.

The Rice alumnus whom I chose at random to interview me and whom I spoke to became president of American Marine Advisors at age 34. He basically listed the pros and cons of each school. What I gathered was that for areas outside of I-banking, your school doesn't matter after the first year, your performance is what matters.

My cousin completed his residency in IM and fellowship in Gastro at UPenn, and he recommends Rice/Baylor. He attended NYU Medical and ... gasp.. City College for undergrad as an electrical engineering major.

My sister is finishing up her first year at Harvard Medical School (she was in NYU's BA/MD, USA Today ALL USA College Academic Team, a Truman Scholar, and a Marshall Scholar) and while she isn't yet a "top med school alumna" I would rate her advice just as valuable. She recommends I attend Rice/Baylor.

I don't know any baylor med alums, but a few have posted here on the board.

B. My mother wanted me to go to Princeton because she's asian, and that's all asian parents' initial reaction. After speaking to my sister (at HMS), my uncle (who runs a million dollar radiology research lab at UAB), my cousin (who is doing gastro research at UPenn), and other relatives, she now wants me to attend Rice/Baylor.

Now, what's all this I hear about prestige of an ivy league education? It didn't seem to do you much good. I think I should return the pleasantries:

I didn't want this to turn into a Baylor versus Tufts thread, but you go to Tufts Medical School, 58th in selectivity, 40th in research rank, you don't even make the primary care list, 1/5th the funding even before adjusting for the fact that you have more med students, an average MCAT of 30.6, sh**y neighborhood, crappy IT facilities, and the highest tuition of the top 50 medical schools.

So you don't have any of the pluses I mentioned: Tufts is way overpriced (hah it's more than Harvard or Yale), it's in the ghetto, it's low-ranked, it's got crap IT facilities. And the BoSox will never win the world series (Go Yankees).

You might have had a Bentley in your undergrad years, but now you drive a beat-up honda civic (an expensive one at that).

10minutes said:
Some people choose Toyota over BMW. You may wonder why, but they have their own reasons.

Yeah, my parents do. They are not flashy people. But we know it's a better car. But not going to princeton because the name is too flashy is not a real reason. The car analogy simply is showing that one is better than the other, not whether or not one should buy a bmw.

it just kills you that something is better, doesn't it? get over it. honestly, i'm going to an average med school and i am happy with it, but i don't hold any dillusion in saying that columbia or harvard would not be a better school to go to. I'll have fun where i am going, but i'd have just as much fun at a top school in a metropolitan location.

uhh, are you bashing me child? if i wanted to stoop to your level, i could degrade your undergrad with as much as fervor as you degrade my med school. have you seen tuft's facilities? have you taken the mcat dear child? you don't know much about me, let's just say money is not an issue [gasp!]. In my mind, 150k and 170k are the same, especially if one allows you to go to harvard and duke wheras the other condemns you to the texas sun.

uhh, you know, i was trying to help you boy. you're pretty cocky for someone who's done little more than taken the SAT. the truth about going to a real top school is that no one can really put you down, cause you've been with the best and know you can hack it there. when a real college student talks about going to a school like baylor, there is substance behind that, for they've accomplished quite a bit to get that far. You didn't do anything that the average ivy kid didn't do when they were your age. Don't be fooled. You don't impress me (neither does the USA today scholars team, i know one as well. and a rhodes scholar. and a...who cares. and my friend turned down the very same BA/MD program...same year as your sis too). i can name drop with the best of them son, if you knew me.

why are you so hung up on money? if you didn't get aid from princeton, that means you certainly don't need it. best financial aid in the country, i think pton is listed as the number one school to go to by money magazine.

Hmmm, i don't know what to say to you. I was trying to help you and i was arguing with the others i thought were clouding your thinking. Most kids will tell you the opposite of what they would do themselves. I mean, there is a thread here where they are telling someone to go to UCSD over harvard. Who are we kidding? I was trying to tell you princeton would give you a great undergrad and a great med school experience. Honestly, going to princeton would pay off, you'll earn more, you'll go farther. You don't know that now, because its all just dollars and cents to you, but its something you learn.

my story? why tufts? because i love boston, and i ain't getting into harvard. i didn't do well my freshman year, because i had no intention of being a gunner. hell, i think i only worked hard sophomore year. if i wanted to go to a top med school, i certainly had the chance if i actually cared about that. my main goal was to get into med school in either ny or boston, which i accomplished on december 15th or so. i just wanted to be a doctor and i was glad to go to any ivy. i guess if a few thousand dollars are all it takes to convince you how to live the next 8 years of life (and your friends and such), that's your predicament.

yeah, so best of luck. i hope you understand i was only giving you advice to help you, not to aggrandize myself. you see, i have accomplished boy, far more than you. i don't need anyone's validation for that.

Every other line you call me child, or say "listen.. boy", or refer to one of your
imaginary friends. I highly doubt your friend was accepted to NYU's BA/MD, was on the ALL USA team, a Truman Scholar, and a Marshall Scholar who now attends Harvard, WashU, or JHU. You may be friends with someone who did one, or two of the above, but I highly doubt you are friends with someone who did all four, or achieved four comparable accomplishments. Considering that you haven't asked these friends what they think, referring to them is a moot point.

Every time I disprove one of your statements, you make up yet another ridiculous statement and I have to, yet again, disprove it, whether it be that "Rice students are country bumpkins", "you should have talked to princeton alums, rice alums, top med school alums, and baylor med alums", that "they would concur with you", or that my very own mother wanted me to go to princeton "because she cares about ME more than I probably do myself."

You make assumptions about everyone, for example assuming that Kikkoman goes to harvard because he's in Boston and that the students in Rice must be hicks, because Rice is in Texas.

You are completely contradictory in that: you claim that everyone who says I should go to Rice/Baylor, says such because they were not accepted by Princeton or a comparable institution. And since they do not want me to have better opportunities than them, they then provide incorrect advice.

Well, if Kikkoman bled crimson as you originally assumed, he would be at a comparable institution so your theory goes right out the window. He would have no incentive to give me wrong advice or "bleed crimson arrogance" since Harvard is generally better regarded than Princeton.
He goes to MIT, which is still a comparable institution, so your theory is still worthless.
My Princeton host was clearly accepted to Princeton, and he would take Rice/Baylor over Princeton.
Yeester goes to princeton and would choose Rice/Baylor.
So your assumptions are once again off.
Unless of course, your theory is really that everyone is out to get me, those at better institutions, those at comparable institutions or the same exact institution, and those at worse institutions. In which case you should visit the fantastic psychiatry department at Tufts.

bearpaw said:
uhh, are you bashing me child? if i wanted to stoop to your level, i could degrade your undergrad with as much as fervor as you degrade my med school.
Last but not least, let's not forget your original post:

"you turned down pton and that awesome UNDERGRAD experience...
i'm sure those rice kids will have you line dancin' in no time partn'er!
who needs an eating club...when there's sizzler's buffet!"

If that isn't bashing, I don't know what is. You started your series of post by degrading Rice and Baylor, and continued to bash them in other posts, so I'm not sure where your stooping to "my level" comes into play?

Unfortunately, it's the reverse, I stooped down to your level.

bearpaw said:
i didn't do well my freshman year, because i had no intention of being a gunner.

First off bearpaw, doing well doesn't make you a gunner, that means you do well at others peoples expense. And to inform, Rice constantly ranks above Pton in fin aid, only recently hase Pton increased there fin aid and been a better value. Rice was #1 Best buy only a few years ago, and is always top 5. Furthermore, you are rediculous if you can't recognize that Rice is on par with Pton in almost everything. If I were making a choice between only undergrads, with no BA/MD, I would chose Pton. But given the Rice/Baylor chance, it is without a doubt a better choice. Even if OP didn't want to go into medicine eventually, he will have no problem getting into his top choice grad school (70% of our grads do) or getting into a great job. Sure, alumni network at Pton is very good, and household value is higher, but best all around option Rice/Baylor is the best pick, and best value. Oh, and the cost difference is much greater, not only 20k. To the OP, send me an Instant Message on AIM if you want to know anything else about our school, I'll direct you. Oh, the Econ program is better at Pton though. I love Rice, but love Pton as well. I would go Rice/Baylor, can't lose with 2 top 15 schools, saving money, excellent residency matches, great location (medical district is wonderful), and good alumni network. Oh and bearpaw, we don't have dining clubs, but we do have an awesome residential college system that is similar, and a schedule of classes that allows all students teh same times off for lunch so that we can eat together at our colleges. And it aint always sizzlin steak, we have chitlins and cornbread too :D. Look that is just plain silly, students here represent 80 countries and all 50 states, and I am from Austin, and I certainly am not a redneck.

Eugenie98 said:
Unfortunately, it's the reverse, I stooped down to your level.
Exactly. Gotta chill and ignore.

Eugenie98 said:
I highly doubt your friend was accepted to NYU's BA/MD, was on the ALL USA team, a Truman Scholar, and a Marshall Scholar who now attends Harvard, WashU, or JHU.
I know someone who was ALL USA Today, Truman, Rhodes, and will be at Harvard, Duke, or Penn after the Oxford stop... no NYU BA/MD nor Marshall though :p Anyway, point is, why is it so impossible that bearpaw might know someone like that?

My first post in your thread. Congrats man. And Baylor is really an excellent program, no matter what anyone else might say. I am sure you already know that though, so I don't know why I'm being redundant... :confused:

Eugenie98 said:
Every other line you call me child, or say "listen.. boy", or refer to one of your
imaginary friends. I highly doubt your friend was accepted to NYU's BA/MD, was on the ALL USA team, a Truman Scholar, and a Marshall Scholar. You may be friends with someone who did one, or two of the above, but I highly doubt you are friends with someone who did all four.

Every time I disprove one of your statements, you make up yet another ridiculous statement and I have to, yet again, disprove it, whether it be that "Rice students are country bumpkins", "you should have talked to princeton alums, rice alums, top med school alums, and baylor med alums", that "they would concur with you", or that my very own mother wanted
me to go to princeton "because she cares about ME more than I probably do myself."

You make assumptions about everyone, for example assuming that Kikkoman goes to harvard because he's in Boston and that the students in Rice must be hicks, because Rice is in Texas.

You are completely contradictory in that: you claim that everyone who says I should go to Rice/Baylor, says such because they were not accepted by Princeton or a comparable institution. And since they do not want me to be better than them they supposedly provide incorrect advice.

Well, if Kikkoman bled crimson as you originally assumed,
he would be at a comparable institution so your theory goes right out the window. He would have no incentive to give me wrong advice or "bleed crimson arrogance" since Harvard is generally better regarded than Princeton.
He goes to MIT, which is still a comparable institution, so your theory is still worthless.
Unless of course, your theory is really that everyone is out to get me, those at better institutions, those at comparable institutions, and those at worse institutions. In which case you should visit the fantastic psychiatry department at Tufts.

Last but not least, let's not forget your original post.

I'm not sure what you mean? You started your very first post by saying:

"you turned down pton and that awesome UNDERGRAD experience...
i'm sure those rice kids will have you line dancin' in no time partn'er!
who needs an eating club...when there's sizzler's buffet!"

If that isn't bashing, I don't know what is. You started off the post by degrading Rice and Baylor, and continue to bash them in other posts, so I'm not sure where your stooping to "my level" comes into play? Unfortunately, it's the reverse, I stooped down to your level.

the whole kikkoman thing was he was bashing princeton, which is something someone from harvard might do in jest. I mean, princeton< rice? seriously. I mean, many people would agree rice= UT Austin. Then, Princeton< UT austin? seriously. the bashing ended with his opinion that Pton is less respected than rice...of course, in the minority he is so conveniently part of.

Any door that Rice opens is one that was never shut.

you're right, i don't respect you anymore. you're too combative to someone giving you advice. of course those were all different people, btw. (just letting you know that its not that easy to wow me with rapant name dropping). you asked to choose between pton and some combined program...you make it seem as though this advice is completely unsolicited. If you were so gung ho about rice, this would not be an issue. You were up in the air, so i gave you my opinion. if it was such a clear choice, my opinion would be completely worthless. Your sister went to harvard from NYU. do you think she'd be unable to go to harvard from columbia? Perhaps it would have been cooler to go to columbia for undergrad.

Look, are you really that dense? I was trying to help you. Your parents want what is best for you. So does your sis. But online, kids have a way of feeding you poison while posturing like its something good. Really, turning down Harvard med for UCSD? If you read the posts, they all say go to UCSD. Is harvard really that bad an option? They make it seem ridiculous to even think of Harvard because its cold in boston. I was telling you to go to princeton, the obvious thing most people would say. Your sis says go to baylor, you should talk to her and know why. Her opinion is probably the best one, as she knows you and your family. I was talking strictly for your med school career and later on in life. You'd have a much easier time getting into harvard med from pton.

you're right, i think rice is a joke. i doubt the student body is anywhere as sophisticated or interesting as the kids at any ivy. you can find a few people to support your every claim, but the fact is like 70% of the kids accepted to pton go...even jhu undergrad was only 25% (at the time i applied). Rice was similar. Rice is a backup school for most people, because it has the academics, but none of the esteem. I think rice is like a good state school, alot of quality, none of the heritage. I think heritage and tradition are something that is good to be a part of if you can be. you can go on from rice to baylor, but i thought it would be better for you to go on from pton.

I am so sorry that i am so off base. I never knew that Baylor Med was such a money shot school, crushing the value of going to a top undergrad and the possiblity of going to a better or better situated med school. Perhaps later you'll realize "houston, we have a problem", but until then you're sitting pretty.

Bearpaw you really need to lay off the OP. You obviously don't have any clue waht you're talking about. Rice = Ut Austin? I am from Austin, have tons of friends there, and i can tell you it's not Rice. Furthermore, maybe Rice is slightly <Pton, but not <<<Pton as you try and imply. The fact is that they are both top schools with great academics and won't impede you're future. And to claim that any door Rice opens wasn't shut before is simply preposterous. Not to mention, Baylor is an excellent med school, I mean I really don't know where you get these things you say. I'm sorry to the OP that this has turned into an argument about the merit of Rice when that is something that isn't even at question. I think you are rediculous in saying that you have no respect for Rice students. We're not as interesting as Ivy kids??? Give me a break, there are interesting people everywhere. NOt to mention, some ivies are so undiversified and boring you coudl hardly call them great places to be, with all the legacy admissions they give. Rice is a fun school that is one of the smallest of its status and a nice place to be. And we do have plenty of tradition and heritage, we've been aorund for almost 100 years now. If that was so important, why not go to Rutgers? It is a very old school and an excellent state school, would you recomend that over Rice? I think you are way off base, and I don't think I will spend anymore if my time debasing your claims. I just hope the OP makes his own decision and doesnt rely too much on our opinions, especially when we all have our own biases would make different decisions in different situations. Like in the UCSD/Harvard thread, I would go to Harvard, but that matches my career objectives, not the OP's, and he has to go, not me. I may think it's crazy, but if its what makes him satisfied iwth his life, he should do whatver he likes.

I failed to read the whole thread, but did anyone mention that going to Rice and even paying full cost is equivalent to saving about $10000 per year over other private schools in its class?

Rice is a great school, and is made even more so by saving cash (that said, I went to WashU for the money and medical research).

crazy eyes said:
Its funny how much trash you people talk- especially since most of you are still in undergraduate school. When you are graduating from a top medical school then you can give advice to someone seeking said advice. As far as I am concerned you havent made it yet and even just being accepted to medical school you do not understand what it means. Yes, reputation of a school does matter ONLY IF YOU DESIRE TO BE AN ACADEMIC PHYSICIAN. But I think you would be surprised at what academicians consider "top" programs (e.g. University of Miami and University of Iowa for Ophthalmology)- oh and by the way, medical school is just medical school, you receive your training in residency- thats what matters more. On a side note, I have had quite a bit of fun rejecting students from Ivy league schools who thought that their reputation would get them into Baylor med... and boy how they pled to get in in their emails. Please dont give advice on the journey which you yourself have not begun.

haha, even you said that he should go to princeton. who are we kidding! i never said going to a top med school matters, only that going to a top undergrad does for a variety of academic and non academic reasons. In addition, a top undergrad will put you in a better position to go to a top med school if you want to.

better than baylor, for sure. i am sure lots of ivy league students like laughing at the notion of going to baylor as well. I mean, we don't know how many hms students also had a baylor acceptance, but rest assured 0% of baylor kids had a fat HMS, columbia, jhu, wash u, penn, duke, or cornell envelope. but what's the point of mentioning that? There is always a better school or program, but the goal is to maximize every experience. A good residency doesn't validate having subpar academic and social experiences prior. some girl got into harvard undergrad after being homeless. Does that mean being homeless is just as good as going to exeter? hardly. you should stirve to get the best out of undergrad, med school, residency, and your career. The best does not mean the highest ranking, but a variety of factors, one of which is reputation and name appeal.

anyway, i just have WAY too much time... i can't wait till summer!!!!!!

This thread has become extremely ******ed. None of this is helping the OP, or anyone else for that matter.

bearpaw said:
you should have gone to princeton...kikkoman certainly bleeds crimson arrogance, that's for sure. you think rice = princeton? come on, for a typical princeton kid, baylor is not even in their top 5 for med school picks.

You couldn't possibly be any more wrong.

http://web.princeton.edu/sites/hpa/data98-03.htm

According to Princeton's data, the "typical" Ptown kid doesn't get accepted nor attend a top 5 university.