Rich premed students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easilydoctor

doctoreasily
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know rich premed students are not too common. Rarer still are those willing to spend their own hard earned paychecks to fund their summer programs to 3rd world countries. I've heard people ask around for donations or sponsorships to professors and doctors. Is there a format or an unspoken conventional way to go about this? It seems burdening to ask for an A, an LOR, AND some money. Any thoughts or experiences? Please share if you know a way to word such a letter. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It may be too late now, but in my experience the best way to do somehting abroad is to go for grants and fellowships for travel/research/humanitarian work. Many schools have them, as do many independent organizations. They are crazy competitive though.

lol, while I will admit it sounds cool, there's no reason you have to go abroad for a summer...

If you really want to impress them with your dedication, join the Peace Corps or something...and that won't cost you a penny either.

Apply for the grants and whatnot, but I don't know if there are honestly that many professors who would just give you money to go to africa for the summer when there's plenty of stuff you can do stateside to help people.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, trust me, plenty of pre-meds are rich, because plenty of med students are rich. One of my classmates has an almost new Audi A4, courtesy of dad. People have gone on all sorts of expensive vacations throughout the year, and I can think of more than a few who have the Bank of Mom & Dad paying their tuition.

I know rich premed students are not too common.

Are you serious? What do you base this on?

Maybe it depends on what your definition of rich is

oh, trust me, plenty of pre-meds are rich, because plenty of med students are rich. One of my classmates has an almost new Audi A4, courtesy of dad. People have gone on all sorts of expensive vacations throughout the year, and I can think of more than a few who have the Bank of Mom & Dad paying their tuition.

Are any of these families looking to adopt a 27 y/o female? I promise to never borrow the Beamer without permission!

A lot of professors aren't exactly rolling in extra cash ...

It seems like my class is made up of people whose parents are both doctors. I hate those people :mad: (yet I secretly wish I was one of them... sigh.)... most of my classmates are flying out of town for Easter.

lol, while I will admit it sounds cool, there's no reason you have to go abroad for a summer...

If you really want to impress them with your dedication, join the Peace Corps or something...and that won't cost you a penny either.

Apply for the grants and whatnot, but I don't know if there are honestly that many professors who would just give you money to go to africa for the summer when there's plenty of stuff you can do stateside to help people.

To add to the above post, I think that it's important to remember that at this point in life, going abroad to volunteer for a summer is really more for your own benefit than that of the people you'll be working with. Once you are actually a doctor and are able to practice abroad in an underserved area, then it will be of more use (which is why there are a number of organizations who will pay for you to go out of the country once you're an MD.) But for now, there's very little that you as a pre-med can do abroad that a local person couldn't do just as well and in a more sustainable way.

This is not to discourage you from volunteering abroad; I have done so many times and it has always been an incredible experience. But I think it's important to keep in mind your own limitations and realize that the true benefit of your experience will mostly be for you.

1174330218-1174130997100.b.jpg

To add to the above post, I think that it's important to remember that at this point in life, going abroad to volunteer for a summer is really more for your own benefit than that of the people you'll be working with. Once you are actually a doctor and are able to practice abroad in an underserved area, then it will be of more use (which is why there are a number of organizations who will pay for you to go out of the country once you're an MD.) But for now, there's very little that you as a pre-med can do abroad that a local person couldn't do just as well and in a more sustainable way.

This is not to discourage you from volunteering abroad; I have done so many times and it has always been an incredible experience. But I think it's important to keep in mind your own limitations and realize that the true benefit of your experience will mostly be for you.
I've always wondered why we send pre-meds and college students all over the world to do things they're absolutely unqualified for and inexperienced in, and have no real skills? Beyond language translation, there's not a whole lot a run of the mill pre-med can do abrad. Why do we have philisophy majors wasting $2,000 to swing a hammer in South Africa when we could pay people there $1,000 to do it better?

The main focus of my rant is that these short term projects are ultimately selfish, as no one comes back saying "I made such a difference" but rather "I learned so much/ I feel so blessed with what I have." Wait until you ave the M.D. so you can actually provide a skill, or go pick up a practical language in school.

And by most common definitions, the mere fact that many of us came up with the resources to spend almost $3G on this whole application process would suggest we're all rich by some definition. There are definitely levels though. I swear I want to Kavorkian the students who have mom and dad paying their med school tuition...

And by most common definitions, the mere fact that many of us came up with the resources to spend almost $3G on this whole application process would suggest we're all rich by some definition. There are definitely levels though. I swear I want to Kavorkian the students who have mom and dad paying their med school tuition...

Me too. But only because I'm jealous. :p

Trueeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Its called doctor's kids and rich business people's kids!!! Especially true in indo communities where parents often by their kid a new car when they get in med school which ranges from Beemers to Lexuses and so forth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank god somebody finally said it. Why volunteer at an African hospital when there are many in the states that need the help.

Trueeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Its called doctor's kids and rich business people's kids!!! Especially true in indo communities where parents often by their kid a new car when they get in med school which ranges from Beemers to Lexuses and so forth.
Yeah, I've been trying to tell my parents this. Some kids get a vacation or a car for getting into med school. I get the hard cut off and a goodbye...

Ummm...what?

Ummm...Dr. Kavorkian. He was known for his willingliness to assist his patients in their death (euthansia/physician assisted suicide).

Ummm...Dr. Kavorkian. He was known for his willingliness to assist his patients in their death (euthansia/physician assisted suicide).
...and a Umich M.D. grad:D . And the UnaBomber was a UMich math or physics grad student.
I'm so proud...;)

EDIT: But that delightful Dr. Sanjay Gupta was also a UMich grad as well.

I've always wondered why we send pre-meds and college students all over the world to do things they're absolutely unqualified for and inexperienced in, and have no real skills? Beyond language translation, there's not a whole lot a run of the mill pre-med can do abrad. Why do we have philisophy majors wasting $2,000 to swing a hammer in South Africa when we could pay people there $1,000 to do it better?

The main focus of my rant is that these short term projects are ultimately selfish, as no one comes back saying "I made such a difference" but rather "I learned so much/ I feel so blessed with what I have." Wait until you ave the M.D. so you can actually provide a skill, or go pick up a practical language in school.

:laugh: :laugh:

I agree with your thoughts on the whole international thing. It seems to benefit the premed more then the persons in those countries.

Even Paul Farmer, who is a world reknown physician travelling abroad to places like Rwanda and Haiti, said the other night that the programs he started didn't succeed because of doctors or nurses or what not alone, much less solely because the US stepped in. Rather, he said, they succeeded because once they got it up and running, they trained physicians in those countries to get on board with the programs and run those clinics they helped to turn around. He also said the only way to make a true difference was to get the public sector involved in those countries once they found out what was working and solutions they needed to make sure that it would continue even after they left.

I think Panda Bear MD also would agree with you on your thoughts judging from past discussion. Hence, the dead african babies joke. :smuggrin:

I know. I was wondering why Humble thought people whose parents help pay for med school deserve said treatment.

Yeah, I've been trying to tell my parents this. Some kids get a vacation or a car for getting into med school. I get the hard cut off and a goodbye...

Awww. :(

The only reason my parents don't pay my tuition is because they can't afford it. If they could, they would probably be paying for everything.

Occassionally I get help from them in paying one or a couple of my monthly bills, and when I'm home I live off their kitchen, but that's about it.

Yeah I don't believe in that kind of stuff. I mean its one thing to help pay for med school but I don't like it when parents try to bribe you with material things like cars.

Yeah I don't believe in that kind of stuff. I mean its one thing to help pay for med school but I don't like it when parents try to bribe you with material things like cars.

Imagine the interview:
-So, Why do you want to be a doctor?
-Well, my dad promised me a Lexus if I get in!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Louis: Oh, it's just violent jealousy.

Imagine the interview:
-So, Why do you want to be a doctor?
-Well, my dad promised me a Lexus if I get in!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Louis: Oh, it's just violent jealousy.

Gotcha (If I'm who you're referring to..)

If premeds have the skills to help train locals on these overseas trips, I say go for it.

If you have no skills, why not raise $20G's to sends abroad. You can always mention in your PS how you "started" and organization that built three wells or an orpahange.

The Bat Beacon has been activated. Panda and DKM will be along shortly. :smuggrin:

I know rich premed students are not too common. Rarer still are those willing to spend their own hard earned paychecks to fund their summer programs to 3rd world countries. I've heard people ask around for donations or sponsorships to professors and doctors. Is there a format or an unspoken conventional way to go about this? It seems burdening to ask for an A, an LOR, AND some money. Any thoughts or experiences? Please share if you know a way to word such a letter. :)

Do people really do that? I can imagine approaching someone and saying, "hey give me some money, I want to do this..."

I know there are all sorts of travel scholarships and fellowships, but just asking people for money?

I'm sure it probably feels annoying to look at your fellow premeds that come from rich upbringings.

But trust me, there are people that are working full-time without health benefits who grew up in public housing who are looking at you with your college education and the world at your feet with the same envy.

It's all relative.

I think that there is something to be said for what you "selfishly" get out of volunteer world travel. What your new found perspective will do to change the way you live and the way you give is worth the few thousand you'll spend going.

When I've traveled, I have asked family and friends to sponsor my trips, and that has normally covered it. Asking community organizations often works well too. My church, optimist club and local PTA contributed. When I came back from my Habitat trip to Thailand, my brother and I gave a presentation at my little brother's elementary school. It was a great experience.

If you want some examples of letters I've written and sent to people asking for financial support, PM me with your email address and I'd be glad to send them to you.

Good luck!

I think that there is something to be said for what you "selfishly" get out of volunteer world travel. What your new found perspective will do to change the way you live and the way you give is worth the few thousand you'll spend going.
Yeah, I find the whole "volunteering abroad is selfish" amusing when it's made by folks who then post about their great eurorail trip they just did with some buddies.

Paying $3K to spend two weeks doing grunt labor in a developing country's clinics is not as useful to the community as donating $3K to a locally run sustainable project. But it's a lot more useful than downing shots of Jager in Prague.

I I swear I want to Kavorkian the students who have mom and dad paying their med school tuition...

I'm not saying this out of defense because I am definitely not a rich premed and I pay my way, but why would you hate someone just because they have money? Sounds pretty jaded and bitter in my opinion. If someone's parents have the money and they want to pay for their child's medical school education I say good for them. No need for such hostility....you'll end up hating a lot of your peers for no good reason if thats the case.

I'm not saying this out of defense because I am definitely not a rich premed and I pay my way, but why would you hate someone just because they have money? Sounds pretty jaded and bitter in my opinion. If someone's parents have the money and they want to pay for their child's medical school education I say good for them. No need for such hostility....you'll end up hating a lot of your peers for no good reason if thats the case.

Good point, and besides we'll hopefully all be doctors some day with a little more money than our parents (speaking for the non-rich pre-meds). Even though I paid and will continue to pay my own way through school, I won't put that same burden on my kids if I can help it. That said, they'll be DRIVING a similar POS car like mine and will be living in something similar to the unfinished, unheated basement living quarters from where this post is originating. :smuggrin:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've never been out of the country. I can't afford to travel on my own, my family does not travel, and I did not see fit to tie myself in with an organization that would take me somewhere thousands of miles away to swing a hammer, when I can swing a hammer here at home and make a difference just the same.

Are any of these families looking to adopt a 27 y/o female? I promise to never borrow the Beamer without permission!
It's Bimmer, so, sorry, you're obviously unqualified. :laugh:

KEVORKIAN

sorry, the Kavorkian was bothering me

It's Bimmer from here on out.

Paying $3K to spend two weeks doing grunt labor in a developing country's clinics is not as useful to the community as donating $3K to a locally run sustainable project. But it's a lot more useful than downing shots of Jager in Prague.

I respectfully disagree. Downing shots of Jager in Prague (or tequila shots in Cabo) is integral to the maintenance of my sanity, without which I will not be able to awe and heal the world with my kick-ass life-saving medical skill. That jager will literally save lives and it would be crime not to devote $ to such a noble cause.

hmmm, tequila...

I respectfully disagree. Downing shots of Jager in Prague (or tequila shots in Cabo) is integral to the maintenance of my sanity, without which I will not be able to awe and heal the world with my kick-ass life-saving medical skill. That jager will literally save lives and it would be crime not to devote $ to such a noble cause.
I stand by my Jager comment, but tequila is a whole 'nother animal. You ought to be able to write it off as a business expense in my book...

I agree. It is sickening. I wish I was rich.

I agree. There was a discussion about this several months ago. There's a difference between being fortunate+grateful and being spoiled+ungrateful. I say be happy for those who are fortunate, and hope that those who are spoiled learn how lucky they are.

Yeah I agree! Good post. I don't think I have a problem with someone having had their parents help them pay their way through so much as I have a problem with people who think their money makes them something special and start acting snobby, cliquey, and down right arrogant.

There are good rich people and bad rich people so to speak.

For instance, one med student I know is the daughter of a very wealthy surgeon. However, she is the most humble, kind, and down to earth person you'll ever meet. She's the kind of person who hates to see others suffering and would really like to do her best to help out someone in need. In fact, I don't think her parents even gave her a car til maybe somewhere in college or med school but they weren't like bribing her or anything.

That kind of person I respect. On the other hand, there are some rich people that just care about materialistic things that it gets sooooooooooo annoying and irritating.

I am jealous of rich people....and so are most of you

I'm sure it probably feels annoying to look at your fellow premeds that come from rich upbringings.

But trust me, there are people that are working full-time without health benefits who grew up in public housing who are looking at you with your college education and the world at your feet with the same envy.

It's all relative.

I could not agree more.

I was one of the "poor kids" compared to all of the other kids growing up but I was fortunate to attend college with loans and some help from my parents.

My spouse, on the other hand, went to a high school with bars and metal detectors, was not always sure he was going to eat, and was ostracized for leaving the family to get an education when he was expected to stay home and help support the family. Long story short . . . . it IS all relative. Be happy for what you have and know that almost always there will be someone with more money and someone with less money.

I could not agree more.

I was one of the "poor kids" compared to all of the other kids growing up but I was fortunate to attend college with loans and some help from my parents.

My spouse, on the other hand, went to a high school with bars and metal detectors, was not always sure he was going to eat, and was ostracized for leaving the family to get an education when he was expected to stay home and help support the family. Long story short . . . . it IS all relative. Be happy for what you have and know that almost always there will be someone with more money and someone with less money.

Amen.

People in other countries (and even our own) would kill to be in our position.

That's not 'rich.'

To have your tuition paid for does not mean your family is rich. It means you have financially responsible parents who care about the future of their children. Very big difference.

That's not 'rich.'

To have your tuition paid for does not mean your family is rich. It means you have financially responsible parents who care about the future of their children. Very big difference.

Paying medical school tuition means paying out up to 40 G's per year....

If you have 100K+ in cash...sorry...but your rich

A lot of parents are financially responsible and make very little and live paycheck to paycheck..this doesn't mean that they are financially irresponsible or care any less about the future of their children.....thats just dumb and ignorant of you to say

That's not 'rich.'

Of course, I forgot. Most of our parents don't care about our future. :rolleyes: Someone should have said something regarding that fact and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The truth is, everyone's circumstances in life are different, things happen, and not every parent makes 200+K/year, for a variety of reasons. It doesn't make anyone "financially irresponsible."

I agree with you baylormed... but even parents who make significantly less than that can be financially responsible. My mom never worked a day in her life, and my dad was the sole provider of our family... he made less than 50K a year... but since the day I was born he's been saving for my college education, and that's pretty much how I pay for my education.

Of course, the rich parents don't ever have to worry about saving since the day their child was born... but either way it works.

I agree with you baylormed... but even parents who make significantly less than that can be financially responsible. My mom never worked a day in her life, and my dad was the sole provider of our family... he made less than 50K a year... but since the day I was born he's been saving for my college education, and that's pretty much how I pay for my education.

Of course, the rich parents don't ever have to worry about saving since the day their child was born... but either way it works.

Umm...the national average income in the US is $36,000. Thats the AVERAGE here. You aren't poor if you make the average or above average.

My mom was a single mom who made less than $15 K per year when I was growing up and I had a younger brother....so how was she supposed to save up for college and medical school?

Let me guess...she was financially irresponsible and didn't care about my future.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not hating on rich people...I think it's great that people with money spend it on their children's education...just don't try to say stupid crap like poor people don't care about education or try to talk about how hard you had it cause your dad only made 50 K per year.

I think you guys can't fault the rich kids for being rich. You can't fault a person for being born to a particular set of parents. You can only fault them if they show a lack of character towards others. That's what people need to be reminded of. One day, if Hillary Clinton doesn't screw up our salaries, you'll be making more money then most people you may have known growing up and will you like it if your kids are being faulted for coming from a well off background??

Umm...the national average income in the US is $36,000. Thats the AVERAGE here. You aren't poor if you make the average or above average.

My mom was a single mom who made less than $15 K per year when I was growing up and I had a younger brother....so how was she supposed to save up for college and medical school?

Let me guess...she was financially irresponsible and didn't care about my future.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not hating on rich people...I think it's great that people with money spend it on their children's education...just don't try to say stupid crap like poor people don't care about education or try to talk about how hard you had it cause your dad only made 50 K per year.

You're completely right- but I forgot to add that my parents decided to pop out seven babies and support my grandparents... that's why I was belittling the 50K. Otherwise, you're right about it being a stupid assertion.

What does rich mean these days anyway. I come from an area where many people have at least one million saved up. But by no means they are 'rich". Their homes are average size, they drive inexpenisve cars, etc. They are no different than most, just finacialy secure. These types of well off people are the more common med students who can get their tutitions paid. The real rich people are far less common. Most dont go into medicine as they will inherit millions of dollars and can do whatever they want with it.