Ridiculous Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedMustang2011

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm taking an online psychology class partnered through a local state school. The class costs $200/credit (3 credit class), has a $150 nebulous "Distance Learning Fee", and requires you to buy a $90 "homework assignment access code" through a third party. This class has 400 students. That means that they are getting 400*(200*3+150+90)=$336,000 for teaching this class. The class consist of the following: prerecorded lectures from awhile ago, 3 online multiple choice tests. That is it.

There is no interaction with the professor at all, just watching obnoxious lectures online and taking multiple choice automatically graded tests.

How the hell can this be legal? They are going to make a third of a MILLION DOLLARS! That's ridiculous!! What do you guys think? Should there be discounts on online classes? Are we students being big-time ripped off?

Thanks peeps.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody is forcing you to take this class. If it is outside of your budget, do not take it.

There are expensive items out there. There are people out there trying to rip others off. It is happening all over, all the time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking it because its a joke of how easy it is. I go to Dartmouth, and things are hard there. It is ONLINE, so it fits nicely.

***I'm not complaining about how much I don't like it. Hell, its the easiest 3000 level class Ive ever had. But what bothers me is that this college will be making $1,000,000/year (3 semester) on this class, and will probably pay its instructor $30,000/year and pocket the difference. They should pay the instructor more, and decrease tuition. Hell they should give a $150 DISCOUNT for taking the class online, not a $150 fee. Anyone agree?

Reactions: 2 users
Instead of an online class, why can't you just take the psychology class at the local state school?

because then i have to drive there, park, walk to class, sit through a boring lecture, walk back to my car, drive back, etc.

I'm taking it for the convenice, but I'm bothered by the profit margin.

because then i have to drive there, park, walk to class, sit through a boring lecture, walk back to my car, drive back, etc.

But taking into account of all the opportunity costs of traveling and being bored, it'll still be cheaper taking it in class than wasting $840 on a class where you don't even see the professor. And I'm not too sure whether taking an online class outside of Dartmouth because it'll be an easy A is a good idea.

And yeah, I know. Universities run like businesses and contribute to soaring tuition. Ah well, it's a separate matter for another day.

Hey Guys,

So I'm taking an online psychology class partnered through a local state school. The class costs $200/credit (3 credit class), has a $150 nebulous "Distance Learning Fee", and requires you to buy a $90 "homework assignment access code" through a third party. This class has 400 students. That means that they are getting 400*(200*3+150+90)=$336,000 for teaching this class. The class consist of the following: prerecorded lectures from awhile ago, 3 online multiple choice tests. That is it.

There is no interaction with the professor at all, just watching obnoxious lectures online and taking multiple choice automatically graded tests.

How the hell can this be legal? They are going to make a third of a MILLION DOLLARS! That's ridiculous!! What do you guys think? Should there be discounts on online classes? Are we students being big-time ripped off?

Thanks peeps.

Of course we're being ripped off.

We're all students. This is nothing new. You're preaching to the choir.

You are enabling them!

Reactions: 4 users

The world runs off profit margins. It has since the time of Ancient Egypt.

Welcome to Earth.

Reactions: 2 users
The world runs off profit margins. It has since the time of Ancient Egypt.

Welcome to Earth.

Seriously. Business leaders get fat off your misery. Sorry. You can cry on my shoulder if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
And the instructor of the course is only probably paid $3000 for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

Thanks peeps.

I don't see anything illegal about this. There is a difference between how much money comes in and the net gain. Also, why is making a lot of money a bad thing? No one told you to take the class

What about the building operating costs where you sit and study? Do you even know how much it costs for maintenance every single day? I don't really believe a uni earns much out of our tuition money. Talking about online, I'd say just suck it up. Compared to other places the price per credit is cheap. I am bothered more that you go to Dartmouth and you don't have problems with their tuition charges.

I don't see anything illegal about this. There is a difference between how much money comes in and the net gain. Also, why is making a lot of money a bad thing? No one told you to take the class

When people make excess money, they are stealing it from others that need it more.

Come at me bro.

I'm in a similar history course. It is a crock and it is theft. And if this class is a requirement to graduate then yes, you are being forced to take it. We are absolutely being exploited.

Bernie for president!

Of course we're being ripped off.

We're all students. This is nothing new. You're preaching to the choir.

IMO, being ripped off is paying $20 for a shirt worth $15. But paying thousands of dollars literally for a class that costs maybe a few dollars per student is ridiculous. There aren't even any essays to be graded or anything, it's all MC.

Idc thats I'm paying for this, i just am pissed that they are making a fortune off of people, unlike me, who have to work at walmart to pay tuition. I mean, its a state school, the whole idea is that it's cheap.

@gyngyn i feel like you, a prestigious medical school professor, should start an online college offering premed degrees. Charge $10/credit and $10/exam. You will have millions of students, literally, and will make millions.

It also pisses me off that colleges are turning a profit on students - aka people who don't YET have their career. It would be different if doctors were being taken advantage of financially, but some poor little 19 year old? thats just cruel man /thread.

Bernie for president!

then after all is said and done, big old bernie boo boo would make me, a *future* doctor, get paid like 50k which is bs

#Trump2016 #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Last edited:
then after all is said and done, big old bernie boo boo would make me, a doctor, get paid like 50k which is bs

#Trump2016 #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
"Pre-Medical" "me, a doctor" I sure hope you're an Oncologist, because this post is the #1 leading cause of cancer.

"Pre-Medical" "me, a doctor" I sure hope you're an Oncologist, because this post is the #1 leading cause of cancer.

Well he's obviously gonna get in. I mean, he's spending thousands of dollars on his education which doesn't cost the institution a dime.

oh yeah buddy im a doctor who is just randomly doing premed for fun because im bored and have too much free time....

oh yeah buddy im a doctor who is just randomly doing premed for fun because im bored and have too much free time....
:whoa:

Nice tag team you've got. I see I've disturbed the circle jerk. I'm 100% sure the school does absolutely NOT net that much in earnings. Overhead and maintenance are absolutely killer. It is pretty pricey, don't get me wrong, but you didn't have to take the course.

:whoa:

Nice tag team you've got. I see I've disturbed the circle jerk. I'm 100% sure the school does absolutely NOT net that much in earnings. Overhead and maintenance are absolutely killer. It is pretty pricey, don't get me wrong, but you didn't have to take the course.

Pre-meds are forced to take the course because we are forced to be doctors because our parents run our lives as several threads on this board have pointed out.

At public schools, you can see exactly where your tuition money goes. For the most part, at most schools, it goes to reasonable places (there are always some schools that have terrible budgets and spend money where it shouldn't be spent, and every school will occasionally direct money in a very poorly-planned way, however we're talking about overall here).

If you really want to get upset about something, get upset about publishing companies who sell textbooks for $300+ with an access code that means it can only be used once and if you try to resell it, it will essentially be worthless. THEY have no accountability. At least public uni's do.

Pre-meds are forced to take the course because we are forced to be doctors because our parents run our lives as several threads on this board have pointed out.
No way, my parents wanted me to be a stripper.

I'll show them.

No way, my parents wanted me to be a stripper.

I'll show them.

Idk man I think you should reconsider. All the 1 dollar bills, attention, and STDs you could ever want -- doesn't sound like a bad deal. I mean, we are just after the lifestyle after all, as many other threads have pointed out.

why do professors still require the book from the publisher with the access code? it is equally the professors fault in that case. agree?

Am I the only one who doesn't think the listed class is that expensive at all?

I found some sweet deals at my local state school over summers, but my home institution charged you a cool $10k+ for a summer of 1 class+room&board

I would LOVE to have a class cost 200 bucks per credit hour... mine costs 565/ch (private), and if I want to take an course at my state uni, it costs around 420/ch. Give me 200/ch class any day. I don't care if I have to watch pre-recorded lectures, my wallet could use a break.

I would LOVE to have a class cost 200 bucks per credit hour... mine costs 565/ch (private), and if I want to take an course at my state uni, it costs around 420/ch. Give me 200/ch class any day. I don't care if I have to watch pre-recorded lectures, my wallet could use a break.

My wallet is just fine either way. I don't mind paying the cash. What I ABSOLUTELY DO mind is the fact that they are making a profit.

It's like hearing that your pastor just got a $50k bonus. It's just not the right time and place. Universities, espeically public ones, should have their student's futures in mind.

why do professors still require the book from the publisher with the access code? it is equally the professors fault in that case. agree?

I assume they're just doing what they're told by the institution.

Also others have a point. If those are semester hours then it's, what, 24k for the degree? And if you're a non-trad going back for prereqs it'd be only like 6k for everything.

I found some sweet deals at my local state school over summers, but my home institution charged you a cool $10k+ for a summer of 1 class+room&board

:eek:

My wallet is just fine either way. I don't mind paying the cash. What I ABSOLUTELY DO mind is the fact that they are making a profit.

It's like hearing that your pastor just got a $50k bonus. It's just not the right time and place. Universities, espeically public ones, should have their student's futures in mind.

Religion is an excellent tax haven. I urge all those in the "$$$ plz i dun care about ppl rly" threads to think about it.

Do you think that the technology that is used to create and broadcast that class is free? Do you think that the technology used to administer online exams is free? Do you think that the Registrar who will record your grade and provide you with transcripts at your request works for free? Is the technology that created the web site you used to apply for admission available to the school at no cost? Were the people who admitted you to the program free? As a registered student, do you have online access to the school's library? do you think that all those online subscription journals and books are free for the school?

Also, while some large intro classes are cash cows, there are smaller specialized classes that don't make much. Big classes make it possible to offer those smaller classes to students in the major.

Reactions: 4 users

When you become a doctor, don't forget not to make any profit. Or else you are the worst hypocrite.

Indeed! And the profit-making "School of Natural Sciences" may be funding the "School of Art" or "School of Music" at your institution as well.

Also, while some large intro classes are cash cows, there are smaller specialized classes that don't make much. Big classes make it possible to offer those smaller classes to students in the major.

I'm taking it because its a joke of how easy it is. I go to Dartmouth, and things are hard there. It is ONLINE, so it fits nicely.

***I'm not complaining about how much I don't like it. Hell, its the easiest 3000 level class Ive ever had. But what bothers me is that this college will be making $1,000,000/year (3 semester) on this class, and will probably pay its instructor $30,000/year and pocket the difference. They should pay the instructor more, and decrease tuition. Hell they should give a $150 DISCOUNT for taking the class online, not a $150 fee. Anyone agree?
Actually I worked as an adjunct psychology professor and they pay about $3000 total per class each semester... $30,000 in my dreams!

Indeed! And the profit-making "School of Natural Sciences" may be funding the "School of Art" or "School of Music" at your institution as well.

True. Art and music just don't make money these days.

Unless it's X-art.
Or unless you're rapping about naked b*tches, guns, cars, 40s, and your drug stash.

Actually I worked as an adjunct psychology professor and they pay about $3000 total per class each semester... $30,000 in my dreams!

I was truly surprised to hear my highly respected sociology professor makes like 40k to lecture thousands of students.

In the early 2000s, my 4th grade teacher told us she made this much.

I was truly surprised to hear my highly respected sociology professor makes like 40k to lecture thousands of students.

In the early 2000s, my 4th grade teacher told us she made this much.

There is a difference between adjunct professors who are hired to teach a few classes per year and are paid by the class and tenured and tenure track professors (assistant professors, associate professors) who are paid an annual salary (sometimes a 9 month salary with the opportunity to be paid from other sources for summer research or teaching). Some schools are cutting costs by hiring adjuncts. The adjuncts, in turn, are cobbling together numerous teaching assignments at various schools in an attempt to make a living. It is not an easy time to be a PhD who wants to teach, particularly in the humanities and social sciences. On the other hand, for people who teach "on the side" in addition to their usual job (e.g. an accountant who teaching Intro Accounting in addition to working an an accountatnt), the $3K in exchange for 15 hours of classroom instruction and whatever time goes into prep (less after you've taught the course once) and grading is a nice chunk of extra income for a relatively small investment of time.

There is a difference between adjunct professors who are hired to teach a few classes per year and are paid by the class and tenured and tenure track professors (assistant professors, associate professors) who are paid an annual salary (sometimes a 9 month salary with the opportunity to be paid from other sources for summer research or teaching). Some schools are cutting costs by hiring adjuncts. The adjuncts, in turn, are cobbling together numerous teaching assignments at various schools in an attempt to make a living. It is not an easy time to be a PhD who wants to teach, particularly in the humanities and social sciences. On the other hand, for people who teach "on the side" in addition to their usual job (e.g. an accountant who teaching Intro Accounting in addition to working an an accountatnt), the $3K in exchange for 15 hours of classroom instruction and whatever time goes into prep (less after you've taught the course once) and grading is a nice chunk of extra income for a relatively small investment of time.

Right. It also can afford a nice little dose of extra prestige and serve to strengthen a contact network, particularly if one decides to teach courses in a professional school. I could definitely see myself doing this, also in part because I just like teaching people.

True. Art and music just don't make money these days.

Unless it's X-art.
Or unless you're rapping about naked b*tches, guns, cars, 40s, and your drug stash.

Would it be a bad idea to pursue a rap career in addition to a medical one? I am the biggest G in the hood, I work the streets strait hard, pumpin dope n payin' my baby mamas. wefare helpd doe

wanna hear my first rap?

Got them young n*ggas tryin, them baby mamas cryin, them older n*ggas dyin, but them alpha males DEFYIN

Talk **** behind my back? Crack it, call ya ass paralyzed.

My squad #1, don't [mess] with my squad or my squad [mess] with you.

pump **** G? word.

Flippancy is not truth, nor truth telling.

The source of flippancy is the behaviors that spawn the statement, which must consequently itself be flippant. I have great respect for the arts and practice them myself as cherished hobbies. But it is relatively obvious what the consumer desires most in modern times. Human beings seek variety in the extreme. Call it a need for catharsis in the face of total depravity.

Would it be a bad idea to pursue a rap career in addition to a medical one? I am the biggest G in the hood, I work the streets strait hard, pumpin dope n payin' my baby mamas. wefare helpd doe

wanna hear my first rap?

Got them young n*ggas tryin, them baby mamas cryin, them older n*ggas dyin, but them alpha males DEFYIN

pump **** G? word.

We're not doing a troll tag team. I was being (mostly) serious.

wanna hear my first rap?

pump **** G? word.

Don't give up your day job.

wanna hear my first rap?

pump **** G? word.

UHD9AfT.jpg