Understand... I'm very nontrad. Here is the short version of the story. I started college the first time in the 90s. Bad things happened, and I ended up homeless. My grades tanked and I went to work at Starbucks and several other subsistence level jobs for a while.
I finally found a way to go back to school. I sold my soul to a hospital system that traded me tuition to their proprietary nursing school in exchange for the promise to work for them for 4 years once I got an RN. So, I did that. I kept working there while I ran a business or two, earned a couple of specialty certifications, and generally settled into working as an OR nurse for a few years. I didn't have a degree, just an RN diploma. My nursing school gpa was like a 3.8, much better than the 1.37 that I'd gotten during my first attempt at going to college. But, almost none of those credits would count on a medical school application, since the school I attended is accredited in a different way than most degree granting institutions.
Then, in October 2012, I got really, seethingly pissed off at a doctor who was terrible to someone that I loved. She was so bad at her job that it shook me out of my complacency. I realized the only way to correct the balance of the universe was to do her job better than her. After looking around at my options, I enrolled in community college to get my pre-reqs out of the way. I realized that I could turn that into an Associates degree while I was at it, for very little money, by taking a bunch of CLEP exams. I took about 45 credits worth of them, and the college let me use 30 of those credits toward the degree. So, I finished all my pre-reqs, and a 60-ish credit AS in Liberal Arts in under a year.
My letters of recommendation came from surgeons and anesthesiologists with whom I'd worked as an OR nurse, from science professors from the community college, and one from my dear old anatomy professor from nursing school. Between nursing school and my college adventures, I had enough credits to apply and be interviewed. I was offered an acceptance on the condition that I complete a Bachelors degree prior to June/July. So, I enrolled at WGU, which accepted enough of my prior credits in transfer that I needed 90 more in order to finish the Business Admin program. I'd picked it because it had the most objective assessments (exams.) I'm very fortunate to be extremely good at taking standardized exams, or at least I used to be.
And now, not quite 3 years from the time I decided that I was going to go to medical school, I'm an MS-1 at my first choice school. If I'd explained my plan in advance to SDN, I'm sure a lot of people would have told me that it wasn't going to work. It was pretty unconventional, but that proves that you don't have to come off the pre-med assembly line looking exactly like the previous 100 applicants in order to find a seat.