• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Jane2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status (Visible)
Does any know the pathophys involved R--> L blood shunt caused by pulmonary edema, pneumonia, and chronic liver disease ? These are listed as the possible causes of the shunt in a high yield book. Thanks

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Nebraska
Status (Visible)
Those would most likely be causes of reversing an L to R shunt to a R to L shunt. These conditions cause the pressure in the right side of the heart to increase and thus as right sided pressures exceed left sided pressures you reverse the shunt. As direct causes of an R to L shunt, I don't think those conditions you listed are direct causes.

joe6102

by the power of grayskull
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
socal
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Does any know the pathophys involved R--> L blood shunt caused by pulmonary edema, pneumonia, and chronic liver disease ? These are listed as the possible causes of the shunt in a high yield book. Thanks

In those two lung diseases, some alveoli are not ventilated, so blood flows from the right heart to the left heart without gas exchange, a physiological shunt (as opposed to anatomical shut such as ASD/VSD).
In chronic liver disease, I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with high pressure in the portal system causes anastomoses, like caput medusa and esophageal varices. Not sure how that is a shunt though, because it should all end up in the right heart eventually.

SeventhSon

SIMMER DOWN
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
In those two lung diseases, some alveoli are not ventilated, so blood flows from the right heart to the left heart without gas exchange, a physiological shunt (as opposed to anatomical shut such as ASD/VSD).
In chronic liver disease, I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with high pressure in the portal system causes anastomoses, like caput medusa and esophageal varices. Not sure how that is a shunt though, because it should all end up in the right heart eventually.

by very poorly understood mechanisms, chronic liver disease patients may also have anastamoses at the level of the pulmonary artery --> vein, making an anatomic RL shunt (assumedly mediated by a growth factor that circulates in the blood in response to the disturbances in the liver)

About the Ads

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
do you guys know what a left parasternal heave is? it is a sign of right ventricular hypertrophy, but i don't know what the heck "parasternal HEAVE" is... and why left instead of right?

winsicle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
Status (Visible)
do you guys know what a left parasternal heave is? it is a sign of right ventricular hypertrophy, but i don't know what the heck "parasternal HEAVE" is... and why left instead of right?

L parasternal = area that borders Left-side of sternum (i.e., around where the heart is located)

Heave = while placing your hand over the area, the hand is actually lifted up off the chest due to an abnormally strong impulse from the heart (indicating RVH)

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
L parasternal = area that borders Left-side of sternum (i.e., around where the heart is located)

Heave = while placing your hand over the area, the hand is actually lifted up off the chest due to an abnormally strong impulse from the heart (indicating RVH)

wow, that's interesting. didn't know that. thanks!!

is accentuated p2 with pulm HTN the same thing as wide splitting with pulmonic stenosis?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.