1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Right path

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mcorrero, Oct 11, 1999.

1. mcorrero

mcorrero New Member

I am finishing my Masters Degree this semester in Clinical Psychology and have decided to attempt to qualify for medical school. The only thing in life I can ever remember wanting to do was become a doctor but for various reasons I picked another path. Now I have decided to return to my first love so that when I am 50 I don't look back with regrets. I will have to take calculus, chemistry, and ,physics. I have also been advised to take genetics, and biochemistry. At the least it will be 2 years before I can apply. Does anyone have any information on the advantages/disadvantages of taking classes at different universities vs going to a school with a respecialization program such as Harvard Extension School?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Moon

Moon Member
    10+ Year Member

Have you looked into post-bac program? I'm not so sure about it but I heard they let you take classes with 1st year MS. If you appear to be competitive, then they will take you in. With you background, I think you will be ok. This program is at a few MD institutions only, no DO school has this. I can be wrong.

4. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I was a political science major so I had to go back to school to take the prerequisites for medical school. I didn't know they had post-bacc programs at the time so I just took the prerequisites on my own at a community college and at the university I graduated from. You're right about taking physics and chemisty (both general and organic).
    But, a lot of medical schools no longer require calculus. It might be nice to take biochemistry and genetics but it isn't necessary. I never did and I'm doing fine in biochemistry so far. I think it's the AAMC that publishes a book every year that lists all the requirements for each medical school and a blurb abut the school. Each school writes the information in it's section so you can count on it. Go for it and good luck.

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited October 13, 1999).]

5. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

The name of the book is...MSAR Medical School Admission Requirements,
    United States and Canada, 2000-2001 and it is the AAMC that publishes it. It costs $25 and you can order it on the AAMC web-page. Your premed advisor might have a copy you can peruse.

6. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are DO schools that have the post-bac program with a "fast-track" to MS-1. PCOM comes to mind.

7. Curious George

Curious George Junior Member