Right path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcorrero

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing my Masters Degree this semester in Clinical Psychology and have decided to attempt to qualify for medical school. The only thing in life I can ever remember wanting to do was become a doctor but for various reasons I picked another path. Now I have decided to return to my first love so that when I am 50 I don't look back with regrets. I will have to take calculus, chemistry, and ,physics. I have also been advised to take genetics, and biochemistry. At the least it will be 2 years before I can apply. Does anyone have any information on the advantages/disadvantages of taking classes at different universities vs going to a school with a respecialization program such as Harvard Extension School?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked into post-bac program? I'm not so sure about it but I heard they let you take classes with 1st year MS. If you appear to be competitive, then they will take you in. With you background, I think you will be ok. This program is at a few MD institutions only, no DO school has this. I can be wrong.

I was a political science major so I had to go back to school to take the prerequisites for medical school. I didn't know they had post-bacc programs at the time so I just took the prerequisites on my own at a community college and at the university I graduated from. You're right about taking physics and chemisty (both general and organic).
But, a lot of medical schools no longer require calculus. It might be nice to take biochemistry and genetics but it isn't necessary. I never did and I'm doing fine in biochemistry so far. I think it's the AAMC that publishes a book every year that lists all the requirements for each medical school and a blurb abut the school. Each school writes the information in it's section so you can count on it. Go for it and good luck.

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited October 13, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
The name of the book is...MSAR Medical School Admission Requirements,
United States and Canada, 2000-2001 and it is the AAMC that publishes it. It costs $25 and you can order it on the AAMC web-page. Your premed advisor might have a copy you can peruse.