Right post-bacc program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNnowDoclater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a 26 y/o RN considering my options for a post-bacc in 2005. I've looked at numerous post-bacc programs and they're usually super expensive, for people who just want to improve their grades, or just not that great sounding.
The one that I like best, however, is Scripps post-bacc. It seems perfect for me. I would love to go to a state one but I'm in WA, and WA really has no state post-bacc programs. :( Any other programs like Scripps that I may be appropriate for me?
Also, I've been thinking about the volunteering issue on med school applications. If I had been an accountant who wanted to go to med school, I would have volunteered at the local ER and had a blast. However, I'm an RN at a teaching hospital and volunteering there seems inappropriate and it will hardly "open my eyes" to anything. Finally to my question (sorry): How have you RNs volunteered and in what capacity?
Thank you for your time.

Zach

Members don't see this ad.

Zach-I don't think you really need to volunteer in a hospital, it seems like you have more then enough clinical experience, and your experience in health care will be a huge plus when it comes to the application process. If you think you should volunteer, maybe help out at a free clinic or something.

As far as the post bac goes, have you ever thought of just staying in WA and taking classes at a local college on kind of your own program? That way, you wouldn't have to relocate, and you could take the classes at your own pace. One of the drawbacks of this would be that there wouldn't really be an advising system in place for what classes you would need to take.

Since you said you work at a teaching hospital, maybe you could try to set up a meeting with someone associated with the affiliated medical school regarding what type of classes/activities you would need to be competitive.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck.

The only West Coast post-bac I have heard about that isn't in California is Portland State University in Portland, OR. That's alittle closer to WA, but not too helpful for you. There is also Mills College in Oakland, CA which might be similar to Scripps. A guy I knew from Seattle did the Mills program because the Bay Area was closer to home than LA. As the other poster said I would look into your local schools and see if you can arrange to take the classes on your own. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto, on many of the above points. You are most definitely not "an accountant who wanted to go to med school," and if a med school tried to tell you your RN experience somehow doesn't count, I'd look at them like this: :eek: - And then look at another school.

But just for fun -- and I dunno how things work at your hospital -- maybe you could check into some manner of 'horizon-broadening' deal. Inquire with the Nurse Educator or EMS Director or Residency Coordinator, or someone else who's into education. Arrange to shadow someone in clinic, or on a research project, or someplace else outside of your regular element in the job. You don't mention if you work in an ED, on a floor, or float. Hospitals can be like little cities, and sometimes we don't get to the "other side of the tracks."

Maybe you can offer yourself as a defacto clinical assistant, to sweeten the deal for them... ?

Good luck
-Feb (an office serf who wanted to go to med school)

Zach, what about the one at Seattle University?

N1DERL& said:
Zach, what about the one at Seattle University?

Hey, I don't know much about their program. I think it's informal?? I tried emailing them but no one ever replied. Do you know anything about the program?

On one hand, it would be cool to do post-bacc here in Seattle, but since I never gave Seattle U much thought before, maybe it was because I'd like to spend time somewhere else going to school? Who knows....just more stuff for my mind to ponder :)

Zach

Sorry I don't know much about the program except what's listed at this site: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

I couldn't get the exact address since they are doing maintenance now.

I did email them when I was looking for a program and the director did write back (though it took her awhile) and email was pleasant... sorry I can't tell you more! :rolleyes: