RIP Steve Jobs

Started by sA x sKy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sA x sKy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this isn't the right forum but I just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Steve Jobs was one of the most creative geniuses the world has ever known. I pretty much grew up when Apple hits its peak. Hearing his death is kinda a shock especially at such a young age. I mean, he was only a year younger than my father. The death was so sudden as well. I mean, he just stepped down as CEO recently . . . regardless, RIP.
 
Last edited:
the death wasnt really sudden

hes battled cancer for years

anyways, RIP to a true innovator
 
i known this isn't the right forum but i just thought i'd share my thoughts.

Steve jobs was one of the most creative geniuses the world has ever known. I pretty much grew up when apple hits its peak. Hearing his death is kinda a shock especially at such a young age. I mean, he was only a year younger than my father. The death was so sudden as well. I mean, he just stepped down as ceo recently . . . Regardless, rip.

rip
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, this was pretty sudden although i'm not surprised. He's definitely a true innovator of our times. RIP
 
the death wasnt really sudden

hes battled cancer for years

anyways, RIP to a true innovator
Yeah, he's had major health problems since like 2004. Came up with some cool product ideas, and also found a way to make a sub-$300 laptop sell for over $1000.
 
I know this isn't the right forum but I just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Steve Jobs was one of the most creative geniuses the world has ever known. I pretty much grew up when Apple hits its peak. Hearing his death is kinda a shock especially at such a young age. I mean, he was only a year younger than my father. The death was so sudden as well. I mean, he just stepped down as CEO recently . . . regardless, RIP.

Why does everyone have to run to the internet when something happens...
 
He was an important figure. I digged Steve Jobs prior to 2001. The whole "hey lets make CGI movies that look awesome" Steve Jobs was a cool guy. But then he turned into a megalomaniac that didn't really do anything. He is probably the most overrated figure in the world of technology.

Hopefully for them, the people at Apple have someone else that can make highly stylized versions of technology that already exists so that the idiot public an continue to proclaim their status as "innovators."

Did they invent the mp3 player? No.
Did they invent the smartphone? No.
Did the invent the tablet PC? No.

Yet Jobs and Co. somehow got credit for "innovating" all of them, more or less.

His talents lied in being able to create a sheep-like following and making himself almost cult-leader-like amongst his fans during his "comeback" of the 21st century. Which, as a person that some day might want to become a cult leader, should this pharmacy thing not work out, will serve as a plethora of inspiration and valuable instruction.

Now, perhaps, more open-sourced solutions will begin to emerge and replace the very closed-source offerings from Apple...which, hopefully, will die a slow death.
 
Did they invent the mp3 player? No.
Did they invent the smartphone? No.
Did the invent the tablet PC? No.

Yet Jobs and Co. somehow got credit for "innovating" all of them, more or less.

True, but the company made them popular and proved to other companies that a profitable market existed which allowed for other products to hit the market. Smart phones pre-iPhone consisted of the blackberry & look-alikes, which look quaint by comparison now.

If it weren't for apple (& sheep like followers for which I am one of them), there would have been no fire lit under other companies.
 
True, but the company made them popular and proved to other companies that a profitable market existed which allowed for other products to hit the market. Smart phones pre-iPhone consisted of the blackberry & look-alikes, which look quaint by comparison now.

If it weren't for apple, there would have been no fire lit under other companies.

No.

Like I said, it's the cult thing.

Great products existed before Apple's "divine" acceptance of technology. There were great MP3 players for years before the ipod. There were great smartphones (ones that accessed the internet and all) years before the iphone. There were great tablets (HP made them in the early 00s that had better specs than the ones out today) almost a decade before the ipad. With a less ****ty operating system.

Apple just has a freaking drove of zombies that buy anything they make.

If your argument is that Jobs unofficially signaled to the masses that it's ok to invest in new technologies that other people invented because he now had one available...I would agree.

But let's be honest. That is, more or less, all he really did this century.

Pixar is cool though. He gets props for that.
 
geez some1 is a hater👎

apple didnt invent the products, but they made them into a cool easy to use stylish product that every1 latched onto
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He was an important figure. I digged Steve Jobs prior to 2001. The whole "hey lets make CGI movies that look awesome" Steve Jobs was a cool guy. But then he turned into a megalomaniac that didn't really do anything. He is probably the most overrated figure in the world of technology.

Hopefully for them, the people at Apple have someone else that can make highly stylized versions of technology that already exists so that the idiot public an continue to proclaim their status as "innovators."

Did they invent the mp3 player? No.
Did they invent the smartphone? No.
Did the invent the tablet PC? No.

Yet Jobs and Co. somehow got credit for "innovating" all of them, more or less.

His talents lied in being able to create a sheep-like following and making himself almost cult-leader-like amongst his fans during his "comeback" of the 21st century. Which, as a person that some day might want to become a cult leader, should this pharmacy thing not work out, will serve as a plethora of inspiration and valuable instruction.

Now, perhaps, more open-sourced solutions will begin to emerge and replace the very closed-source offerings from Apple...which, hopefully, will die a slow death.

+1 Well-Said My Friend, Well-Said
 
Let's just say, the world will be a better place for his passing. He was the leader of one of the most evil, heartless scumbag companies in the history of the United States:

Lets start with the Ipod battery Fiasco. Let's say you purchased an Ipod for around $250.00 and used it for a year and the battery ran out. You would experience this:

In September of 2003 the battery in my first generation ipod would hold a charge for no longer than one hour. I brought the iPod into the Apple store in Manhattan for repair and was told they did not currently offer a battery replacement and my best option was to buy a new ipod. I then called the Apple Care 800 number regarding this issue and was told the same. I then sent my ipod to the Apple Executive office addressed to Steve Jobs with a note explaining my situation and requesting a replacement battery. The Apple Executive office contacted me via telephone to explain that Apple does not repair or replace dead ipod batteries and that it was policy of the company to recommend to the customer to purchase a new ipod when the battery fails. I then purchased a third party replacement battery, which was not endorsed by Apple. After the complicated installation, my ipod did not work at all, even when plugged in.

In response to this experience my brother Van and I made the short film "iPod's Dirty Secret." After we finished production of the film, Apple began offerring a battery replacement program for the ipod for a fee of $99 and an extended warranty for the ipod for $59.
Watch the Movie Here[/U]

Now fast forward to the Iphone. Is the battery replaceable? Yes, for $75.00 and have to send it to them to get it done.

Then look at the antennae problem on the Iphone 4. Does Apple accept responsibility, no. You're holding it wrong. No, it makes the bar appear to be less than they are. No calls being dropped? It's all in your imagination. Here, we will sell you a case for $30.00. It wasn't until Consumers report came out and publicly said they can't recommended the Iphone4, did Apple give away the cases for free.
http://news.consumerreports.org/ele...m-issues-signal-strength-att-network-gsm.html

Now look at how they would like to put Adobe out of business.

Finally, the last straw. Apple makes Don Corleone look like a piker. Anybody who wants to sell anything through an App on a Iphone or Ipad has to go through Itunes so Apple can whet their beak to the tunes of 30%. They make the mafia look like philanthropists.
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/apple-imposes-app-purchasing-rules.html

This is one evil money grubbing scum sucking company and this guy was the head of it. They never did right by their customers until they were shamed into it. There is a special place in hell for people like him. Thank God he wasn't Jewish. According to Jewish tradition, one of the five questions God will ask you when you die, is:

Were you honest in your business dealings. I wouldn't want to face my maker and answer that question with Apple's track record. They make excellent products, but the treat their customers poorly, and Steve Jobs and his arrogant attitude were the cause of it.

The newest Apple product:
[YOUTUBE]Xgls9IwWUyU[/YOUTUBE]
They will sell millions..
 
Last edited:
never had a battery problem w/ any of my ipods/phones

man people are just too focused on the minutiae

"oh no! steve jobs was evil like hitler because a few batteries wonked out early! booooo hissssss"

as for the other points... one person's evil is another person's good business move. i'm sure the shareholders love it, and that's who companies are supposed to cater to.
 
No.

Like I said, it's the cult thing.

Great products existed before Apple's "divine" acceptance of technology. There were great MP3 players for years before the ipod.

what the hell...all of the mp3 players pre-ipod royally sucked. exception might be that skinny sony one whose name i can't remember, but even that might have been post-2001.
 
Well, I have to agree with WVU here. 😱 Steve job wasn't so much of an innovator (at least not since the original apple), BUT gota give credit where it's due -- he was one hell of a capitalist and marketer!

Good thing he head of a drug company. :meanie:
 
never had a battery problem w/ any of my ipods/phones

man people are just too focused on the minutiae

Ok, that's anecdotal. That's like saying, hey Thalidomide is safe, my wife took it and my kid has regular arms.

"oh no! steve jobs was evil like hitler because a few batteries wonked out early! booooo hissssss"

It's not that they wonked out early. It's that they did not stand behind their products until they were shamed into it.

as for the other points... one person's evil is another person's good business move. i'm sure the shareholders love it, and that's who companies are supposed to cater to.

No, telling customers they are holding the phone wrong. Then offering to sell them a case and then finally giving away the case for free only after Consumer Reports said they would not recommend them. That is not an honest and ethical company.
 
Well, I have to agree with WVU here. 😱 Steve job wasn't so much of an innovator (at least not since the original apple), BUT gota give credit where it's due -- he was one hell of a capitalist and marketer!
He was a bit more than that really. Yeah he wasn't an innovator of any sort but you can't deny the impact he has had on technology. Stephen Wolfram said it best I think.
To me, Steve Jobs stands out most for his clarity of thought. Over and over again he took complex situations, understood their essence, and used that understanding to make a bold definitive move, often in a completely unexpected direction.

He increased usability and made technology elegant for people who don't understand it... and since that population of people represents the vast majority of people using technology the general consensus is that he was a wizard.
 
what the hell...all of the mp3 players pre-ipod royally sucked. exception might be that skinny sony one whose name i can't remember, but even that might have been post-2001.

Creative Nomad.

When they were released, they were revolutionary.

Problem is, because the Apple zombies didn't buy them, they weren't popular.

I had a computer nerd friend that owned one. It looked like a miniature CD player. After I figured out that it was a machine...with a 6GB hard drive...that played mp3s...I wanted one.

And then like a year and a half later, the iPod came out. Another Apple "invention". Gimme a ****ing break.
 
I saw this on another forum:
ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpg


What really cracks me up is that people are loading Win 7 onto this thing and its actually a pretty damn respectable tablet PC.
 
Last edited:
the point was never the specs though, i had an old fujitsu tablet that was great, but it was like driving a datsun over a bunch of rocks despite having similar specs compared to the ipad...battery life was sub-par.

and the original ipod wasn't even that popular (mac users only), it wasn't until it lured windows users over and the click wheel 2nd gen. came out that it really took off.

and ethical/schmethical...i've dealt with tons of unethical people/companies, this is like a drop in the bucket.
 
I don't understand what the fascination is with gadgets/technology that is going to depreciate in value in a few months anyways. So many people buying into these iphones,ipads, androids, etc.... I just want a phone that works and gets good reception.

Also, WikiLeakes is allegedly saying his death was a result of AIDs + cancer. If so, that is really sad.
 
I don't understand what the fascination is with gadgets/technology that is going to depreciate in value in a few months anyways. So many people buying into these iphones,ipads, androids, etc.... I just want a phone that works and gets good reception.

That's boring though (to me at least), technology is fun to me the way cars, purses, celebrity drama, garage sales, antiques, dildos, and creepy dolls from the 1800's are fun for other people.

I like seeing how far we can go with technology.
 
That's boring though (to me at least), technology is fun to me the way cars, purses, celebrity drama, garage sales, antiques, dildos, and creepy dolls from the 1800's are fun for other people.

I like seeing how far we can go with technology.


Well to me it's not boring because I know the extra money I'm saving could be used to help families in need. I know I'm changing the topic and making it into a sad situation, some may even say that I can still buy into technology and help others out, but our generation has become so bored so quick that we always need to occupy our minds with gadgets and toys when we should be focusing on putting our money into useful things, like helping our fellow neighbors. I know so many families suffering from the economy just trying to make enough for housing and living. I'm glad I'm in a position that makes good money where I can at least share some of that. Now I'm not looking down on those of you who buy into these type of gadgets, but for the ones who are constantly manipulated into buying the new and improved version of so and so when so and so just came out, don't waste your money.

And I also think going too far with technology will have its consequences in the future. We need to be careful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well to me it's not boring because I know the extra money I'm saving could be used to help families in need. I know I'm changing the topic and making it into a sad situation, some may even say that I can still buy into technology and help others out, but our generation has become so bored so quick that we always need to occupy our minds with gadgets and toys when we should be focusing on putting our money into useful things, like helping our fellow neighbors. I know so many families suffering from the economy just trying to make enough for housing and living. I'm glad I'm in a position that makes good money where I can at least share some of that. Now I'm not looking down on those of you who buy into these type of gadgets, but for the ones who are constantly manipulated into buying the new and improved version of so and so when so and so just came out, don't waste your money.

And I also think going too far with technology will have its consequences in the future. We need to be careful.

When i came to this country as a kid, one of the first thing that struck me, call it "culture shock" if you will, was the electric pencil sharpener.

I mean, are people so lazy in this country that they couldn't twist a pencil sharpener a few turns, they had to build an electric one?! No wonder most people in this country can't do math without whipping out a calculator, laptop or "smart" phone. 🙄
 
Well to me it's not boring because I know the extra money I'm saving could be used to help families in need. I know I'm changing the topic and making it into a sad situation, some may even say that I can still buy into technology and help others out, but our generation has become so bored so quick that we always need to occupy our minds with gadgets and toys when we should be focusing on putting our money into useful things, like helping our fellow neighbors. I know so many families suffering from the economy just trying to make enough for housing and living. I'm glad I'm in a position that makes good money where I can at least share some of that. Now I'm not looking down on those of you who buy into these type of gadgets, but for the ones who are constantly manipulated into buying the new and improved version of so and so when so and so just came out, don't waste your money.

And I also think going too far with technology will have its consequences in the future. We need to be careful.

You just killed this thread 👎

but eh, your starving neighbor needs a job, and since consumer spending accounts for 2/3 of the economy, i'm helping him out with the purchase of my shiny new gadget. trickle down, baby.

i'm just glad technology as a whole continues its march forward without much impediment. can't wait 'til we're fully integrated with machines, but don't know if that'll happen in our lifetimes.

until then, i shall continue to upgrade my phone every 2 years, maybe jump to an android phone if they wow me enough.
 
In my opinion, the iphone was revolutionary at the time because it was touch screen and easy to use. Even my dad knows how to use it...

Do other media devices have the same options? Yes but Iphone brought it all together. For example Blackberry was a smart phone that you can surf the internet in but Iphone allowed you to do that plus watch videos.
 
In my opinion, the iphone was revolutionary at the time because it was touch screen and easy to use. Even my dad knows how to use it...

Do other media devices have the same options? Yes but Iphone brought it all together. For example Blackberry was a smart phone that you can surf the internet in but Iphone allowed you to do that plus watch videos.

You could do that on PDA phones with Windows Mobile 2003 and up.
 
You could do that on PDA phones with Windows Mobile 2003 and up.

But how efficient was it? I remember my Palm 650, 700, and 750 all which ran a modified version of windows mobile and it was sooo horrible at loading sites even when they were compressed through an external proxy. It wasn't until Apple introduced mobile safari that things improved for the mobile browser and then the android followed suit with the webkit based browser.
 
someone stole my starving children in Somalia gambit...


It's ok. I know you're one of those "privileged" kids or maybe one who forgot his true roots once he got that pharmacist salary.

This is coming from someone who actually almost died at the age of 2 from starvation
 
It's ok. I know you're one of those "privileged" kids or maybe one who forgot his true roots once he got that pharmacist salary.

This is coming from someone who actually almost died at the age of 2 from starvation
I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong person. I think Mikey was a crack baby or something like that.
 
It's ok. I know you're one of those "privileged" kids or maybe one who forgot his true roots once he got that pharmacist salary.

This is coming from someone who actually almost died at the age of 2 from starvation

Nah, you just don't know my post history. I do that to people all the time to make them feel like **** for wanting to own nice things.
 
But how efficient was it? I remember my Palm 650, 700, and 750 all which ran a modified version of windows mobile and it was sooo horrible at loading sites even when they were compressed through an external proxy. It wasn't until Apple introduced mobile safari that things improved for the mobile browser and then the android followed suit with the webkit based browser.

I didn't have the phone, but my old Dell Axim x51 PDA rendered websites pretty well over wifi.