Rising Junior: 2020 September MCAT or wait until April 2021?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tripleds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently a sophomore and am struggling to decide when to take the MCAT. With summer opportunities being limited due to our current situation for the foreseeable future, I'm trying to strategize the optimal approach for taking the MCAT.

For my next fall semester, I will be taking biochemistry, cell bio, and physiology. I just finished orgo 2 and physics e&m. I'm trying to decide if I should start studying this June in order to take a September MCAT (before my courses start to really pick up with difficulty and time commitment as I start classes late August).

I will have to learn biochemistry during my prep obviously as I've yet to take it in college. Is this a wise idea? My original plan was to wait until my spring semester of Junior year when I would have a very light course load to take the MCAT, but I feel as if having the option open to retake it then instead of a first attempt could be a good idea. Additionally, if I started studying over this summer, I could dedicate a lot more time and focus to exam prep and continue my EC's throughout the next fall semester.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How about taking it in January 2021? It's better wait until you are done with biochem. You can study other topics during summer and use thanksgiving and winter breaks to do practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user
I took it before Biochem and did reasonably well. Taking biochem beforehand is way overblown in importance, just make sure you do enough practice and are scoring where you’d like to before you’re date and you’re golden to take it this year

How about taking it in January 2021? It's better wait until you are done with biochem. You can study other topics during summer and use thanksgiving and winter breaks to do practice tests.

I’m afraid to space out my content review like that, and know that I wouldn’t be able to dedicate my fullest energy to studying during the next semester as I’ll be fully loaded with classes. My only reasonable option would be to start studying right after my finals in mid December and continue through my easier Spring semester.

Unless of course you think that the gaps aren’t really a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it before Biochem and did reasonably well. Taking biochem beforehand is way overblown in importance, just make sure you do enough practice and are scoring where you’d like to before you’re date and you’re golden to take it this year

That’s what I’m thinking. Worst case scenario, I’m not scoring where I’d like to and can decide to cancel the September exam, focus on my classes and finish biochem, then study again in December for an April date with a bunch of content review and practice under my belt.

That’s what I’m thinking. Worst case scenario, I’m not scoring where I’d like to and can decide to cancel the September exam, focus on my classes and finish biochem, then study again in December for an April date with a bunch of content review and practice under my belt.
My plan was (if I decided to cancel my August date) was to test in January since I would have had some of winter break to continue studying and have enough time for a retake if needed. Consider that plan as well since I feel it has more advantages than studying during Spring semester for April

My plan was (if I decided to cancel my August date) was to test in January since I would have had some of winter break to continue studying and have enough time for a retake if needed. Consider that plan as well since I feel it has more advantages than studying during Spring semester for April
Absolutely. My spring semester will be very light (one upper division bio course and all electives) so I wouldn’t be too worried about studying. Thank you for the advice!

I’m afraid to space out my content review like that, and know that I wouldn’t be able to dedicate my fullest energy to studying during the next semester as I’ll be fully loaded with classes. My only reasonable option would be to start studying right after my finals in mid December and continue through my easier Spring semester.

Unless of course you think that the gaps aren’t really a big deal.
It comes down to how much content review you need to do. My son started with content reviews (mainly CARS and P/S) in summer and rest during fall semester and winter break.

I think you have a solid plan for cancelling the September test date, if you don’t feel adequately prepared. However, biochemistry is everywhere on the MCAT with the exception of CARS. It may be possible to review biochemistry contents over this summer, but if you’re trying to maximize your performance on the MCAT I would suggest taking biochemistry and maybe an experimental methods class before you tackle the MCAT.