Rising junior, 3.91 gpa, need advice and feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted989271

X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Continue to volunteer at the hospital as well as the with Big Sibs program. Having 150 hours of both clinical and non-clinical volunteering is what is recommended on here, but obviously the more you have the more competitive you will be. As far as shadowing, I would try to get that done over the summer or during breaks if you don't have time during the school year. Keep up the good work, your EC's look great!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm was in a similar situation. Maintain your GPA and start planning for the MCAT (perhaps start now and take it at the end of winter break). Also, get some more shadowing hours, the more the better (70-100 will be amazing, 100ish max)

Hey guys, I'm going into my junior year soon and might or might not be applying directly, not sure yet. So I want to make sure I'm a solid applicant. Any thoughts or advice on where to improve would be great. Thanks so much!

General: AB Molecular Biology @ Princeton University '21

cGPA: 3.91; sGPA: 3.875 (A's in all required pre-reqs, B+ and A- in two upper-level major-classes)

MCAT: haven't taken it yet, but I started studying now and plan to take it in February; I generally have good study habits and test-taking skills and realistically think I can get at least a 518, if not higher

Residence: New York

Ethnicity: Asian, but also a first-gen American and college-student from a low-income background

Clinical experience:

\- I volunteer at the hospital near the university, 3 hrs per week since Feb. 2018, and have accumulated about 100 hours so far.

\- I am the Co-President of an organization that hosts free community kidney screenings. I have been involved since Spring 2018. I started off as a volunteer, became the Director of Community Outreach (person who plans all the screenings), and am now Co-Pres. We started with just one screening when I was a volunteer and have up'ed it to two as Director of CO and as president, I want to host four total screenings, two of which will take place in the neighboring city that is predominantly low-income. By far my most meaningful experience. (Not sure if this counts as clinical experience -- do give me your thoughts.

Research experience:

\- At college, I am in a virus lab. Can't say I've been very productive this past year mainly because I am only just getting the hang of things (\~5 hours/wk) but next year, I have to write junior papers for my major, which basically mean I'll have an independent project to work on. I plan on being much much more active next year (\~12-15 hrs/wk). We also have to do a senior thesis, basically a 100-page paper on a research project and then defend it.

\- This summer, I'm working at another virus lab at NYU Langone Health. Currently, just training but will have an independent project soon to work on for the rest of the summer.

Shadowing experience:

\- This is where I'm very meh. Shadowed general practitioner for 4 hours. Meant to be a one-day thing. Haven't had much time for shadowing experience because the office hours conflict with school/work hours. Any advice?

Non-clinical volunteering:

\- Volunteer mentor with Big Sibs since Feb. 2018. 3 hours/week every other week \~65 hours so far. Get paired with a child from a minority background and work with them to improve reading and math skills.

\- Interned with a non-profit in summer 2018. Designed and taught a STEM curriculum for minority youth that attended our program. Designed the curriculum for like 300+ kids and then taught it at one site to 75 kids. Also in charge of ordering and distributing supplies with a $10K budget.

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)

\- this past year, was treasurer for the 2019 1vyG conference (brings together a bunch of low-income college students from a the country) for a weekend of workshops and social events. in charge of a $100K budget and helped plan a mini career fair.

\- Freshman Committee Chair and later secretary of the first-generation low-income council. planned and help run events and distribute information. Spanning the past two years (my first two years of college).

\- Communication Action leader, led a group 10 ish freshman on a bonding and service trip just before school started. planning on doing this again the coming fall and the fall after.

\- Applied to be a orgo TA and a university tutor, not sure if I'll actually get the positions, but just putting it here for reference.

Other information:

\- Not sure how the whole application process works but planning on making my narrative about my own minority background and how that has made me want to work with minorities (if u can't already tell from the ECs) and how I want to do the same as a doctor.

\- If I take a gap year, I'd like to do some teaching abroad (i.e. through Fullbright).

Questions for you guys:

1. Obviously, what do you think? I think my things are relatively strong but I over-think a lot and just need some reassurance.
2. Advice on shadowing, esp finding the time?
3. Med school list advice?
4. Anything else...

THANK YOU!

Your clinical hours are very light for a T20 medical school based on what I've read on this forum. They need to be at least 200 hours, I think.

If you were to total your nonclinical volunteering hours, what would that number be?

I have read multiple ad com posters on this forum say that applicants shouldn't do more than 50 hours of shadowing and that about half of that needs to be primary care shadowing.

Your GPA is excellent obviously.

Are you applying MD or MD/PhD?

Hey guys, I'm going into my junior year soon and might or might not be applying directly, not sure yet. So I want to make sure I'm a solid applicant. Any thoughts or advice on where to improve would be great. Thanks so much!

cGPA: 3.91; sGPA: 3.875 (A's in all required pre-reqs, B+ and A- in two upper-level major-classes)

MCAT: haven't taken it yet, but I started studying now and plan to take it in February; I generally have good study habits and test-taking skills and realistically think I can get at least a 518, if not higher

Ethnicity: Asian, but also a first-gen American and college-student from a low-income background

Clinical experience:

\- I volunteer at the hospital near the university, 3 hrs per week since Feb. 2018, and have accumulated about 100 hours so far.

\- I am the Co-President of an organization that hosts free community kidney screenings. I have been involved since Spring 2018. I started off as a volunteer, became the Director of Community Outreach (person who plans all the screenings), and am now Co-Pres. We started with just one screening when I was a volunteer and have up'ed it to two as Director of CO and as president, I want to host four total screenings, two of which will take place in the neighboring city that is predominantly low-income. By far my most meaningful experience. (Not sure if this counts as clinical experience -- do give me your thoughts.

Research experience:

\- At college, I am in a virus lab. Can't say I've been very productive this past year mainly because I am only just getting the hang of things (\~5 hours/wk) but next year, I have to write junior papers for my major, which basically mean I'll have an independent project to work on. I plan on being much much more active next year (\~12-15 hrs/wk). We also have to do a senior thesis, basically a 100-page paper on a research project and then defend it.

\- This summer, I'm working at another virus lab at NYU Langone Health. Currently, just training but will have an independent project soon to work on for the rest of the summer.

Shadowing experience:

\- This is where I'm very meh. Shadowed general practitioner for 4 hours. Meant to be a one-day thing. Haven't had much time for shadowing experience because the office hours conflict with school/work hours. Any advice?

\- Volunteer mentor with Big Sibs since Feb. 2018. 3 hours/week every other week \~65 hours so far. Get paired with a child from a minority background and work with them to improve reading and math skills.

\- Interned with a non-profit in summer 2018. Designed and taught a STEM curriculum for minority youth that attended our program. Designed the curriculum for like 300+ kids and then taught it at one site to 75 kids. Also in charge of ordering and distributing supplies with a $10K budget.

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)

\- this past year, was treasurer for the 2019 1vyG conference (brings together a bunch of low-income college students from a the country) for a weekend of workshops and social events. in charge of a $100K budget and helped plan a mini career fair.

\- Freshman Committee Chair and later secretary of the first-generation low-income council. planned and help run events and distribute information. Spanning the past two years (my first two years of college).

\- Communication Action leader, led a group 10 ish freshman on a bonding and service trip just before school started. planning on doing this again the coming fall and the fall after.

\- Applied to be a orgo TA and a university tutor, not sure if I'll actually get the positions, but just putting it here for reference.

Other information:

\- Not sure how the whole application process works but planning on making my narrative about my own minority background and how that has made me want to work with minorities (if u can't already tell from the ECs) and how I want to do the same as a doctor.

\- If I take a gap year, I'd like to do some teaching abroad (i.e. through Fullbright).

Questions for you guys:

1. Obviously, what do you think? I think my things are relatively strong but I over-think a lot and just need some reassurance.
4. Anything else...

THANK YOU!
For shadowing I would highly recommend over the summer reaching out to a rural family medicine in private practice or a rural hospital that’s not affiliated with a larger health system. These two routes will be your best options for getting extensive primary care/general shadowing. For instance I was able to shadow a doc who was managing both the ER and in patients all day every day for a week and it could’ve gone as long as I really wanted to. While you may not get the gang violence or anything like you would you get in urban hospitals, rural areas see some crazy stuff. We had 14 patients over the course of an hour ranging from dementia to hand burns to self amputation with a chainsaw. They can get crazy and it’s awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely try to get more shadowing/clinical hours in - something where you are actually treating patients like EMS is ideal - but even just reaching out to doctors you know or cold calling hospital systems to see if they have shadowing programs isn't a bad idea either. My college had a formal program that offered shadowing/internship experiences with alumni over the winter session so it was easy to pick up ~50 hours here and there. Your numbers (assuming MCAT comes through) are very good and low clinical hours may hold you back from higher level schools. Some secondary apps will have questions about your most meaningful clinical experiences, so be sure that you will have something you can write about

More and more people are applying with 500-1,500 hours of combined paid/volunteer clinical hours and shadowing (though you should definitely not feel pressured to hit that!!) but best to try and get as much in as you can - if for no reason other than getting a better understanding of what different specialties involve and what you might like to eventually choose. Good luck with the process!

For shadowing I would highly recommend over the summer reaching out to a rural family medicine in private practice or a rural hospital that’s not affiliated with a larger health system. These two routes will be your best options for getting extensive primary care/general shadowing.

Second, especially for schools that place a strong emphasis on this - also have heard (from an adcom member) that knowledge of/experience in pop. health management is also looked very favorably upon (at least for their specific MD school, though I imagine it would be true for some others as well).

Second, especially for schools that place a strong emphasis on this - also have heard (from an adcom member) that knowledge of/experience in pop. health management is also looked very favorably upon (at least for their specific MD school, though I imagine it would be true for some others as well).

May I ask what population health management is? Do you simply mean the business side of medicine?

Definitely try to get more shadowing/clinical hours in - something where you are actually treating patients like EMS is ideal - but even just reaching out to doctors you know or cold calling hospital systems to see if they have shadowing programs isn't a bad idea either. My college had a formal program that offered shadowing/internship experiences with alumni over the winter session so it was easy to pick up ~50 hours here and there. Your numbers (assuming MCAT comes through) are very good and low clinical hours may hold you back from higher level schools. Some secondary apps will have questions about your most meaningful clinical experiences, so be sure that you will have something you can write about

More and more people are applying with 500-1,500 hours of combined paid/volunteer clinical hours and shadowing (though you should definitely not feel pressured to hit that!!) but best to try and get as much in as you can - if for no reason other than getting a better understanding of what different specialties involve and what you might like to eventually choose. Good luck with the process!

Presumably these are people who took at least 1 gap year?

Not even. Most are poor college students who scribe for food. The clinical experience is an afterthought.

At least at my school (granted, we are podunk U with predominantly non-trad, URM, and low SES

Last edited by a moderator:

Clinical experience:

Research experience:

Shadowing experience:

Other information:

Questions for you guys:

4. Anything else...

THANK YOU!

Try shadowing over Christmas break/spring break at primary care physicians' offices: pediatrics, family medicine. These offices are usually open over the holidays.

The ad coms who post here have consistently opined that shadowing is far less important than clinical volunteering that involves direct patient contact and communication. In other words, restocking supplies and filing things for a hospital or clinic won't really count as clinical volunteering. Volunteering at a hospital where you experience a broad and diverse patient population is also looked on favorably.

May I ask what population health management is? Do you simply mean the business side of medicine?

I'm not certain what this individual's definition of pop health is (there is some variation) but generally an understanding of social determinants of health, environmental factors that affect health (like pollution) , better health education (sex ed., awareness of proper diet & exercise, dangers of smoking/drugs), etc. Basically, understanding how to treat a community rather than just a single patient

the business side of medicine is the classic health/business administration (MHA or MBA) style topics

No - often there are opportunities on campus or very near by to get a lot of hours in like a local free clinic, a university's EMS agency, local hospital's programs, summer shadowing opportunities, etc. (hours accumulate quickly when you enjoy what you're doing :) ) Don't get too caught up on the hours I mentioned because adcoms realize there are only so many hours in a day.