Rising Sophomore but... really need help/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovely0508

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This might not be the forum to write, but since it said "chances," I'd figured I'd write here than other places. If not, let me know and I'll delete this post :).

I am a rising sophomore at a college and am seriously freaking out because of my spring term science course GPA. In the fall, I took intensive Intro Chem and got 3.33 (B-), in the spring, I took two intro bio course (my school splits intro bio to two - organismal and cellular) and got 2.91 (C+) on each. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.83 for my freshman year.
This is scary. I did so HORRIBLY on my intro bio courses! I am no longer sure if I am even qualified to be on premed track anymore. Is there any way I can compensate? Also, I have an issue of not quite being a full citizen (I have permanent residency). In this case, having a bad first year grade would kill my chances, wouldn't it. I mean, having a bad first year grade would really kill in general. ANY WAY I CAN SAVE MYSELF? I am planning on taking orgo chem and histology in the fall. If I do well on these, would it help, or seem like at least I've improved? How much does intro level science courses matter? Please help me. I am too scared to even tell my parents what I got for the spring term because it's so bad. I've never gotten a C in my life. I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're in the right place.

First off, you need to figure out why you did so poorly and fix it. Did you have too much fun? Do you just not understand the material becauuse it's too difficult? Are the study strategies from HS failing you? Are you so involved with extracurricular activites that you don't have the time to study sufficiently? Are you depressed or home sick?

Second, don't freak out because you're not sunk yet. Lots of successful med school applicants have a bad first year while they figure things out. But you need to turn things around immediately. Get a tutor, meet with the instructor for extra help, or buckle down and do nothing but study: whatever it takes. Any more Bs you get will set back your GPA recovery. If you can get straight As for the next two years, your cGPA after junior year will be a reasonably competitive 3.6. If you get an A- average instead, you can wait until after senior year to apply with a 3.43, if you get a higher MCAT score to compensate.

If you did not understand Gen Chem and Bio, then repeat them, because you need to understand them to do well on the MCAT. If your grades were poor because of harsh grading policies, then an A in a higher level course will salvage the negative impression of those Cs.

If your grade pattern continues there are many other health-related professions you can be happy in.

don't freak out because you're not sunk yet. Lots of successful med school applicants have a bad first year while they figure things out. But you need to turn things around immediately.

Yes, yes, and yes.

And, tell your parents. They should know, because after all, depending on how fast you can turn things around, you may need more than 4 years of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
if it makes the OP feel any better, you are not alone! i'm in the same boat as you...i didn't have the best freshman year and now am going to be working my butt off to get my GPA where it should be! i'm sure there are several more people who are in the same situation as we are. don't get down on yourself just yet!!!

um a C+ is a 2.3 and a B- is a 2.7

that's how med schools will interpret the grades.

why didnt anyone point this out earlier?

We wanted to leave you something to point out :p

But yeah oops, totally missed that. That is rather odd - OP can you explain those number/letter correlations?

Will they perceive it this way, even if my undergraduate school does not to +/-. We just do A, B, C, D, F

Will they perceive it this way, even if my undergraduate school does not to +/-. We just do A, B, C, D, F

I believe an A/B/C/D/F scale is directly converted as 4.0/3.0/2.0/1.0/0.0.

I believe an A/B/C/D/F scale is directly converted as 4.0/3.0/2.0/1.0/0.0.
yep. this is the scale:

A+ = 4.0
A= 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3
D = 1.0
D- = 0.7
F = 0.0
WF/WU = 0.0

i dont recall what U gets for s/u grades.

yep. this is the scale:

A+ = 4.0
A= 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3
D = 1.0
D- = 0.7
F = 0.0
WF/WU = 0.0

i dont recall what U gets for s/u grades.

I would think its 0.0 - not sure though.

Hi everyone! This might not be the forum to write, but since it said "chances," I'd figured I'd write here than other places. If not, let me know and I'll delete this post :).

I am a rising sophomore at a college and am seriously freaking out because of my spring term science course GPA. In the fall, I took intensive Intro Chem and got 3.33 (B-), in the spring, I took two intro bio course (my school splits intro bio to two - organismal and cellular) and got 2.91 (C+) on each. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.83 for my freshman year.
This is scary. I did so HORRIBLY on my intro bio courses! I am no longer sure if I am even qualified to be on premed track anymore. Is there any way I can compensate? Also, I have an issue of not quite being a full citizen (I have permanent residency). In this case, having a bad first year grade would kill my chances, wouldn't it. I mean, having a bad first year grade would really kill in general. ANY WAY I CAN SAVE MYSELF? I am planning on taking orgo chem and histology in the fall. If I do well on these, would it help, or seem like at least I've improved? How much does intro level science courses matter? Please help me. I am too scared to even tell my parents what I got for the spring term because it's so bad. I've never gotten a C in my life. I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

My college roommate got a B average in his first year and got a D that year too. He was considering transferring to an easier school but he stuck with it. He is an MD now and is in radiation oncology. Just study better from now on and don't feel so bad.