risk of UTI from foley during surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gas you down

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My anesthesia colleagues and I have been discussing the pro's and con's of foley placement for surgery. Typically, we insist upon a foley for cases expected to be >2 hours or where large volume resuscitation may be necessary. We don't want our patients getting UTI's, but on the other hand, the second most common cause of postop delirium is a full bladder. (The first is hypoxia)
What is the risk of UTI secondary to foley placement? What if it's only indwelling perioperatively? What about chance of UTI from red rubber cathing just postop if needed?
Thanks for any input!
Gas

Members don't see this ad.

My anesthesia colleagues and I have been discussing the pro's and con's of foley placement for surgery. Typically, we insist upon a foley for cases expected to be >2 hours or where large volume resuscitation may be necessary. We don't want our patients getting UTI's, but on the other hand, the second most common cause of postop delirium is a full bladder. (The first is hypoxia)
What is the risk of UTI secondary to foley placement? What if it's only indwelling perioperatively? What about chance of UTI from red rubber cathing just postop if needed?
Thanks for any input!
Gas

Minimal data (or more accurately widely variable data based on varying definitions of CAUTI and whether the hospital has policies on looking for CAUTI). A decent rule of thumb is that the rate of CAUTI is roughly 1% /indwelling day. For a catheter in place for even less time I’d expect the rate to be even lower, especially given the use of periop abx. Just get it out asap.

Reactions: 1 users
Well that's good to hear. I'd initially read 5% increase per day. Thanks for the knowledge!

5-10% is risk of bacteriuria per day, meaning their urine will grow bacteria in culture. Most of those will be colonization though, not clinical infection.

Reactions: 1 user