Riskiest medical specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickyScott

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Ah... the irony of EM. Train midlevels who then go on to literally take your job. Anesthesia being another of course. But EM's saturation issue is very interesting. I mean they talk about residency expansion (sure) being a problem but ignore the wild midlevel proliferation that's taking away a big chunk of the jobs.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Radonc Is not fixable because the oversupply is in setting of decreasing use/footprint of radiation in cancer.
1651841732382.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Could just pick one of the more masochistic specialties. No midlevel would want to come deal with free air or your grandmother’s acute subdural at 1AM. Your job will be safe but your mental health may not be :cigar:

Reactions: 9 users
Could just pick one of the more masochistic specialties. No midlevel would want to come deal with free air or your grandmother’s acute subdural at 1AM. Your job will be safe but your mental health may not be :cigar:
I'm not sure if people appreciate just how much an average person is not willing to deal with the workload of the average physician, and that's exactly what midlevels are, totally average people. They are almost universally not interested in making medicine a passion. They want to make something over $100K in a reasonable COL area, clock out at the end of the day, and plan nice vacations and family barbeques. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm all for better work-life balance for physicians, but being in charge of people's lives usually means a bit more commitment than what the typical online NP grad is willing to put in.

This means nothing of course when midlevels will simply settle for working fewer hours and getting a proportionally smaller paycheck. The PE firm or large hospital network running the books at your practice are much happier to hire two NPs at $125K/year than one physician at $300K, but when horrible hours can't be avoided, you are entirely safe.

That said, I think risk is based on more than just midlevel encroachment. I think the risk for any given specialty is 3-pronged.

1) Midlevel encroachment.
2) PE/hospital system buyouts of private practice.
3) Changes to fee schedules by future reform in healthcare (e.g., M4A or a public option).

So maybe you're safe from midlevels in highly technical or extremely taxing specialties. You might not be safe from outside business interests or government cost controls. Anesthesia, for instance, sports a massive delta between Medicare reimbursement and private insurance pay. Even a small expansion of Medicare would likely mean anesthesiologists take a hit. Something like M4A could rock the specialty. To a lesser extent the same is true in EM, radiology, and a lot of surgical specialties.

Reactions: 11 users
I'm not sure if people appreciate just how much an average person is not willing to deal with the workload of the average physician, and that's exactly what midlevels are, totally average people. They are almost universally not interested in making medicine a passion. They want to make something over $100K in a reasonable COL area, clock out at the end of the day, and plan nice vacations and family barbeques. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm all for better work-life balance for physicians, but being in charge of people's lives usually means a bit more commitment than what the typical online NP grad is willing to put in.
Have you written your congressman, senator, representative about this? We want people who are committed taking care of us. Everyone does. How do you gauge who is committed or not? Exactly the way we are doing now. Success in undergraduate pre-med courses over a period of time, success on the MCAT, success at the interview and the ability to retain large volumes of information. All these tests character. These are vital in determining success as a physician. That system works. WHy mess with it by making NP=MD where there is zero standardization, 100 percent acceptance rates etc. It is a sad state of affairs. Identity politics at work.

Reactions: 3 users
So does this mean I should stay away from rad onc?

Reactions: 1 user
Any specialty including EM Anes could fix the mid level problem via collective bargaining and refusing to work at any facility that employees midlevels.

However, physicians and upper class people in general lack the class consciousness and solidarity that are frequently seen amongst middle and lower classes. Not to mention that some physicians make big money by exploiting/stealing the labor of Midlevels

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any specialty including EM Anes could fix the mid level problem via collective bargaining and refusing to work at any facility that employees midlevels.

However, physicians and upper class people in general lack the class consciousness and solidarity that are frequently seen amongst middle and lower classes. Not to mention that some physicians make big money by exploiting/stealing the labor of Midlevels
Em problem is more related to huge increase in supply of residents. Hca hospitals and other for profits started large number of recent residencies to provide cheap labor.

So what does this mean for relatively young (new) radiation oncologists? Like during one of my interviews I remember I was talking to one who very recently graduated. Will they have to potentially do another residency in a different specialty?

So what does this mean for relatively young (new) radiation oncologists? Like during one of my interviews I remember I was talking to one who very recently graduated. Will they have to potentially do another residency in a different specialty?
Over a 20-30 year time frame, I think they will have to. At the very least, career satisfaction will plummet. Even in the near term, Raises,promotions, and lateral mobility are already very difficult in this market. there are severe geographic restrictions.
If you are treated badly, radoncs have to stick it out because finding another job is so difficult and still have to put food on the table. Lends itself to toxic workplaces because chairmen know that faculty will have tough time leaving. Even if a doc is lucky enough to find another job, sometimes can’t move your kids/spouse 2000 miles.

These are all issues that are not immediately obvious to a medstudent. As a medstudent, there is this false notion that once you find a job, you are set.

Last edited:
Over a 20-30 year time frame, I think they will have to. At the very least, career satisfaction will plummet. Even in the near term, Raises,promotions, and lateral mobility are already very difficult in this market. there are severe geographic restrictions.
If you are treated badly, radoncs have to stick it out because finding another job is so difficult and still have to put food on the table. Lends itself to toxic workplaces because chairmen know that faculty will have tough time leaving. Even if a doc is lucky enough to find another job, sometimes can’t move your kids/spouse 2000 miles.

These are all issues that are not immediately obvious to a medstudent. As a medstudent, there is this false notion that once you find a job, you are set.
Interesting… what would you consider the opposite, some of the least risky specialties that are growing?

Interesting… what would you consider the opposite, some of the least risky specialties that are growing?
That’s a very difficult question. Obviously, IM and gen surg will always be safe. (A bit under the radar but there has been some tremendous progress in endocrine over the last 10 years-)Urology has traditionally limited resident numbers, so always seems to be a shortage. This is very speculative, but I listen to the Peter attia podcast, and hope that represents the future of medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
i feel like radiology is a hit or miss. Right now radiologists make cardiologist and ortho money even thought it’s not competitive. However, if there is a lot of progress in AI, it could doom the specialty. And I know everybody says “we aren’t even close and it will be 40+ years before AI can take rads jobs”, but imagine telling people in 1990 that they could use their cellphones as a computer, TV, music player etc

i feel like radiology is a hit or miss. Right now radiologists make cardiologist and ortho money even thought it’s not competitive. However, if there is a lot of progress in AI, it could doom the specialty. And I know everybody says “we aren’t even close and it will be 40+ years before AI can take rads jobs”, but imagine telling people in 1990 that they could use their cellphones as a computer, TV, music player etc
I have mixed feelings about this. While certainly possible, I also think there will be an explosion of imaging as the machines are improving as well. Nuclear diagnostics may also take off.

Last edited:

First off, I don't know where you're getting the notion that radiology isn't competitive but the average step 1 and step 2k scores for matched DR people is probably 5-7th highest; that's just behind IR, derm and the surgical subspecialties (Ortho/ENT/Plastics/NS/Urology). From a historical standpoint, it's only becoming increasingly more competitive over the last half decade since the nadir in the mid 2010's.

As a practicing early career radiologist, the idea that AI will be able to take rad jobs in my expected 30 year career is just not something I worry about. There is a ton of tech out there in development, no doubt, but bringing it to market in a way that is FDA validated, improves care and cuts costs is such a high hurdle that there's nothing I'm aware of that will threaten individual rad jobs. At best, AI in the next 10-15 years will be about improving rad efficiency (increasing the number of studies we can get through). But outright replacing rad jobs is that 40+ year pipedream you're talking about.

It's commonly said that only people outside of radiology proclaim that AI is a serious and immediate threat to the field of radiology. Everyone in radiology thinks otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
OBgyn is always in demand, though comes with the obvious baggage. However the subspecialties (MFM, urogynecology, infertility, and gyn oncology) are relatively baggage free and are extremely well reimbursed. Urogyn especially is exploding, the stuff I do used to be done by general uro and gyn but the training in numbers of procedures done as a generalist and in training is orders of magnitude less than done by a fellowship trained person. MFM is always going to be in extreme demand and you can basically just do US and consults and never deliver a kid if you don’t want to. Onc is always in demand but in a lot of places they are also the backup for any obgyn disaster and their patients are often very sick. The fellowships also limit the number of people out in practice to maintain demand

OBgyn is always in demand, though comes with the obvious baggage. However the subspecialties (MFM, urogynecology, infertility, and gyn oncology) are relatively baggage free and are extremely well reimbursed. Urogyn especially is exploding, the stuff I do used to be done by general uro and gyn but the training in numbers of procedures done as a generalist and in training is orders of magnitude less than done by a fellowship trained person. MFM is always going to be in extreme demand and you can basically just do US and consults and never deliver a kid if you don’t want to. Onc is always in demand but in a lot of places they are also the backup for any obgyn disaster and their patients are often very sick. The fellowships also limit the number of people out in practice to maintain demand
I see huge demand for gyn sub specialties onc, fertility, uro. Gyn Onc has historically been a very selective fellowship. None of these however are my cup of tea.

Last edited:
First off, I don't know where you're getting the notion that radiology isn't competitive but the average step 1 and step 2k scores for matched DR people is probably 5-7th highest; that's just behind IR, derm and the surgical subspecialties (Ortho/ENT/Plastics/NS/Urology). From a historical standpoint, it's only becoming increasingly more competitive over the last half decade since the nadir in the mid 2010's.

As a practicing early career radiologist, the idea that AI will be able to take rad jobs in my expected 30 year career is just not something I worry about. There is a ton of tech out there in development, no doubt, but bringing it to market in a way that is FDA validated, improves care and cuts costs is such a high hurdle that there's nothing I'm aware of that will threaten individual rad jobs. At best, AI in the next 10-15 years will be about improving rad efficiency (increasing the number of studies we can get through). But outright replacing rad jobs is that 40+ year pipedream you're talking about.

It's commonly said that only people outside of radiology proclaim that AI is a serious and immediate threat to the field of radiology. Everyone in radiology thinks otherwise.
I just meant in terms of match rates, it’s not really comparable to ENT, ortho, optho etc.

In the past, if one has scored well, he or she could be reasonably sure that they would match rads. This doesn’t seem to be true in some of the above fields.

I have mixed feelings about this. While certainly possible, I also think there will be an explosion of imaging as the machines are improving as well. Nuclear diagnostics may also take off.
I do think that AI is a very real threat for newer/rarer imaging modalities, because while I think that increased imaging modalities bodes well for radiologists, it also sets the bar lower for AI. If it comes down to a complex, fairly mature algorithm being adapted to read a new imaging modality compared to a workforce of radiologists in their 50s learning the ropes on the job... I think the AI would win that battle. Then from a regulatory standpoint it would be much easier than competing for reads in a system that already works.

I don't think AI will touch radiologists jobs for our current imaging systems. If anything, they'll be like airline pilots with extremely cush jobs.

I don't think it's something anyone has to worry about until we're at the stage when people are saying the technology is already here. It's not here, and you've easily got a 10 year buffer between the first roll out of a fully autonomous reading system that outperforms radiologists and actual FDA approval/widespread implementation. So you're definitely safe there.

However, increasing efficiency is definitely something to worry about. If suddenly everyone is producing more RVUs/day, payers, especially CMS, are going to adjust. Then hospitals will adjust the per RVU rates. The only thing keeping radiologist salaries constant would be increased utilization of imaging. Maybe that would happen, maybe it wouldn't. MRI volume is tough to increase, and people might be wary of increasing CT volumes by multiples because of the radiation. Pay will probably depend on whether or not radiology residencies respond by contracting program size.

• Dislike
I think machine interpretation of 2D path slides is going to be feasible far before 3D/cross sectional imaging. Yet nobody seems to talk about much of pathology being automated in our lifetime.

I think midlevels taking over screening colonoscopies, even if still required to be practicing under a GI doc supervising, is a threat to their cash cow for sure. The business model that took over in Anesthesia where one doc is available to help as-needed while several rooms have CRNAs running routine procedures, could easily translate to screening scopes and other common low risk procedures.

Same for derm biopsies, injections, light treatments etc.

Psychiatry seems like legislation could let midlevels put up a shingle and compete head to head for private practice, bread and butter outpatient care for mild-moderate depression, anxiety, ADHD etc.

The things that are really insulated are the ones with high stakes and long, specific training. Stuff like critical care, surgeons, oncologists.

The warning sign to watch out for will be midlevel residency programs becoming common place. For example, if you see some academic centers start 1-2 year training programs for NPs on how to do colonoscopy sceening/biopsies, you might start to wonder about who will be doing most of America's screening scopes in 20 yrs.

I think machine interpretation of 2D path slides is going to be feasible far before 3D/cross sectional imaging. Yet nobody seems to talk about much of pathology being automated in our lifetime.
Wait what. I hear this all the time and thought it’s common knowledge

I think midlevels taking over screening colonoscopies, even if still required to be practicing under a GI doc supervising, is a threat to their cash cow for sure. The business model that took over in Anesthesia where one doc is available to help as-needed while several rooms have CRNAs running routine procedures, could easily translate to screening scopes and other common low risk procedures.

Psychiatry seems like legislation could let midlevels put up a shingle and compete head to head for private practice, bread and butter outpatient care for mild-moderate depression, anxiety, ADHD etc.

The things that are really insulated are the ones with high stakes and long, specific training. Stuff like critical care, surgeons, oncologists.

The warning sign to watch out for will be midlevel residency programs becoming common place. For example, if you see some academic centers start 1-2 year training programs for NPs on how to do colonoscopy sceening/biopsies, you might start to wonder about who will be doing most of America's screening scopes in 20 yrs.
Considering I have heard multiple surgeons talk about how difficult scoping can be I doubt this happens

They’re not out to do this stuff well. They’re just wanting to bill like they did.
What I don't get is from my research fm docs in the 2000s wanted to expand their ability to scope and the GI docs somehow blocked them and now almost all major hospitals and surgery centers only allows GIs to scope, I don't see how low-levels would be immune to this

What I don't get is from my research fm docs in the 2000s wanted to expand their ability to scope and the GI docs somehow blocked them and now almost all major hospitals and surgery centers only allows GIs to scope, I don't see how low-levels would be immune to this
Because GI docs think they can cash in on this in the short term

Interesting, would wonder what young GI docs or those planning on pursuing fellowships feel about this potential issue, or if other fields (besides anesthesia) will do the same kind of thing. Very discouraging hearing stuff like this going on as a junior medical student, makes me feel as if I entered medicine 10 years too late.

Idk most GI fellows are probably just as clueless when they start out, I can tell you I had zero meaningful exposure or training to colonoscopies during my MD or medicine internship. I doubt PGY2-3 residents get any exposure unless they seek it out on an elective because they're planning for GI. I think an NP would start out equally clueless and after their year of dedicated training be equally skilled at the actual use of the scope.

And the hard cases can always get kicked up the chain to the GI doc or from there to the giant referral centers. It's the bread and butter screening scopes with a couple biopsies that I see getting farmed out similarly to how CRNAs and ED and PCP "physician extenders" operate.

Wait what. I hear this all the time and thought it’s common knowledge

“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

― Yogi Berra
Actually, supply and demand are like gravity. They can give you a big hint about scarcity. Fields that greedily increased training for cheap labor are already in trouble.

Last edited:
They will still all fill unless the programs decide against it.

Being a radiation oncologist in Bozeman, Montana or Ketchum, Idaho is still a great proposition for many people

They will still all fill unless the programs decide against it.

Being a radiation oncologist in Bozeman, Montana or Ketchum, Idaho is still a great proposition for many people
If those positions are in fact available in 5 years. My firm belief is that they won’t with present oversupply.

Idk most GI fellows are probably just as clueless when they start out, I can tell you I had zero meaningful exposure or training to colonoscopies during my MD or medicine internship. I doubt PGY2-3 residents get any exposure unless they seek it out on an elective because they're planning for GI. I think an NP would start out equally clueless and after their year of dedicated training be equally skilled at the actual use of the scope.

And the hard cases can always get kicked up the chain to the GI doc or from there to the giant referral centers. It's the bread and butter screening scopes with a couple biopsies that I see getting farmed out similarly to how CRNAs and ED and PCP "physician extenders" operate.
Eh I dunno, not sure how prevalent this is. In the 3 states I’ve lived in there aren’t any midlevels doing scopes anywhere, even the academic centers. Hopkins is the only institution where I’ve even heard of midlevels doing scopes. Scopes are like choles, they are easy until they aren’t…

n=1 but ophthalmology doesn’t seem to be too risky. Two months to get an appointment in a very oversaturated area (in terms of # of doctors)

When I hear about AI taking over/augmenting jobs, the entire focus is on pathology and radiology. Radiology gets more press because the general public is far more familiar with it, but path is equally discussed in expert circles. Also, imaging represents a massive chunk of the overall healthcare expenditure, and expertise in radiology sells for a higher value than pathology, so the idea of AI doing reads is more enticing.

Surgeons won't be replaced any time soon. Anyone with the will/desire/ability to do surgery went to med school. I could see an odd PA/NP first assist thinking they could go it alone after a few decades of practice, but it's such a small population that it's no threat. The "midlevels" of surgery are medical specialists. Especially if midlevels start breaking into some of the cash cows, you might see more and more sub-sub-specialty fellowships for interventional procedures that compere with more invasive surgery.

Oncology is too complex for NPs. It's nothing like hospital medicine. You actually have to read and keep up with the literature. NPs who think they can do a doctor's job almost universally think it's just about performing the actions, and in onc it's obvious this isn't the case. Even if some sort of AI system could customize a chemo regimen and achieve outcomes as good as an oncologist, I don't think most NPs could even explain the majority of oncology to a patient or give an accurate interpretation of results. Plus, the heme arm of it is wildly complicated. The NPs would have to be hyperspecialized, but who wants to seek out wildly specialized care from an NP, and who even wants an NP for something as important as cancer? A lot of patients are ready to jump ship and go outside of insurance just because their oncologist went to Temple instead of Penn.

Nurses have a lot of exposure to the ICU and understand that being in charge isn't something you actually want if you're the sort of person who went for an NP and not an MD.

I don't think derm is threatened. They're just too well positioned. Midlevels could absolutely break into it, but the demand would still be sky high. They'd also be among the best positioned for a change to single payer or some sort of significant healthcare reform (lots of cash only, medicare reimbursements are similar or higher than private insurance).
The other aspect is that hospitals and private groups have much better margins on NPs performing procedures compared to MDs/DOs. They have one GI doc put his/her stamp of approval on it, pay 3 NPs to do it all day long, bill for MD/DO-level care, and pay 3 NP salaries and a GI salary instead of 3 GI salaries.

On the flipside, I think radiology is interesting BECAUSE of the advancements in technology. I can only speculate, same as anyone else. However, I like the idea of having to be on my toes while working in a specialty where the last day of work in my career is very different than the first.

Rising rates and a looming credit crunch may reduce PE entry into healthcare and could even lead to divestment.

When it becomes expensive to borrow, dealflow starts to slow

Rising rates and a looming credit crunch may reduce PE entry into healthcare and could even lead to divestment.

When it becomes expensive to borrow, dealflow starts to slow
the point of the article is the concerted effort to over expand er residencies to provide cheap labor and that some docs will be left unemployed. In er, hca and private equity deliBerately overexpanded programs, butIn radonc, it was greedy academic programs. Oversupply is what tanks fields.

On the flipside, I think radiology is interesting BECAUSE of the advancements in technology. I can only speculate, same as anyone else. However, I like the idea of having to be on my toes while working in a specialty where the last day of work in my career is very different than the first.

It's an incredibly daunting task to keep up with the latest and greatest in just my subspecialty, much less as a general rad. No one can be the master of everything.

As a neophyte, the sound of an ever progressing field sounds exciting. As someone in the field, the idea I'm gonna have to commit large amounts of time just to keep up honestly kinda sucks. That's time i could be either working (and generating money) or not working.

At this point though, any field of medicine you enter will be markedly different 30 years after your first day.

the point of the article is the concerted effort to over expand er residencies to provide cheap labor and that some docs will be left unemployed. In er, hca and private equity deliBerately overexpanded programs, butIn radonc, it was greedy academic programs. Oversupply is what tanks fields.
If indications hadn’t declined, would there have been an oversupply. Or is the oversupply only due to the fact that other treatments (ie immunotherapy) are used more often than radiation?