RN degree vs. General

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prince_moses

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does having an RN degree with good GPA's increase chances of been accepted then someone who has a general science degree with comparable grades. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

prince_moses said:
Does having an RN degree with good GPA's increase chances of been accepted then someone who has a general science degree with comparable grades. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, RNs are accepted at some of the lowest rates out of all MD applicants. I remember recently reading that the acceptance rate of RNs is near 25%, while the national average is near 50%. Of course, a properly motivated RN with solid credentials can become a physician. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
SanDiegoSOD said:
Unfortunately, RNs are accepted at some of the lowest rates out of all MD applicants. I remember recently reading that the acceptance rate of RNs is near 25%, while the national average is near 50%. Of course, a properly motivated RN with solid credentials can become a physician. :luck:
This is true, but there are very few nurses who apply to medical school, so the data may not be statistically significant. I know a couple former nurses in my class. They're both doing well. At first, they definitely had better general clinical skills than the rest of us.

Back to the OP, nursing and medicine are 2 different things. A nursing degree will prepare you for nursing, not medicine. The science courses in some nursing programs tend to be more applied, especially the chemistry courses, so you may need to take additional science courses to make up for this. In nursing school, your academic advisors will not be able to help you get into medical school as well as a legitimate premedical committee.

prince_moses said:

AdComs will probaby question your motivation for switching from nursing to medicine. I don't know how true this is, but i remember hearing that AdComs were weary of admitting nurses b/c nurses are in such demand right now. Plus, they will ask you what you could do as a doctor that you couldn't do as a nurse. Of course these were just rumors floating around sdn a while back... it might not be true at all :D I'm sure if you're really motivated to become a doctor, you'll be able to do it :) Good luck :luck:

prince_moses said:

No, RN's have a poor acceptance rate compared to almost all other degrees.

Don't worry. The reason nurses have some of the lowest acceptance rates is because they apply with the lowest numbers. check out the data from aamc.org. If your MCAT and GPA are high, you shouldn't have a problem.

Hay thanks alot for the feed back Im using a nursing degree as a backup, I have most of my pre-reqs done already with the exception of Physicis and Biochem which I will do in the summer, If the whole med school thing doesent work out with the first try I wanna have a job that will pay well and not work in Safeway or something while Im waiting to re-apply. :laugh: I have even heard of an accelerated program for RN to MD in Sweden. if I am gonna do a 4 year degree I might as a well do a worthwhile one and not something useless like Bio or General science. :smuggrin: .

In Canada we have a limited number of med schools verey limited and to make things worse 2 of them are French and I am pretty much cut off from them. Also we dont have DO schools so that limits things even more. I cant apply to med schools in the states merely for the fact the tuition is :eek:. So that is my logic in getting a RN degree rather then the traditional general science degree which promises nothing in the way of a viable career alternative., without more school. Also I wouldent mind doing some clinical practice.

prince_moses said:
In Canada we have a limited number of med schools verey limited and to make things worse 2 of them are French and I am pretty much cut off from them. Also we dont have DO schools so that limits things even more. I cant apply to med schools in the states merely for the fact the tuition is :eek:. So that is my logic in getting a RN degree rather then the traditional general science degree which promises nothing in the way of a viable career alternative., without more school. Also I wouldent mind doing some clinical practice.
That makes good sense. It's a practical way to look at it and if you were to explain why you chose a RN degree to an Adcom the same way you just did, I think that would be fine and you won't have big problems. Good luck.