• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

RN or PharmD???

Dr. Leca

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
48
0
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    I am split between Nursing and Pharmacy. I work in a Pharmacy, but I was brought up to be a Nurse. All my brothers and sisters are RNs and NPs.

    Nursing has more advancements and options. But the pay is less. The schooling is also alot less, I can land a job alot quicker.

    I am also doubting my ability to be a Pharmacist. Getting accepted to a school is impossible without a Bachelors degree these days, and if I'm going to go to school for 8 years then I might aswell be an M.D.

    I like both fields, they are both in demand.

    I think I enjoy Pharmacy more. But maybe I would get sick of doing the same practice for the rest of my life. Atleast Nursing has many different jobs.

    I don't know, I wish the Bachelors of Pharmacy degree was still around. Now you have to pretty much be a doctor to practice Pharmacy.

    Pharmacy or Nursing, fellas?
     
    About the Ads

    StormyGirl

    Member
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jan 29, 2006
    54
    0
    Western Hemisphere
    1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
      Nursing is a good career if your passionate about it but both of my parents were nurses and i remember them being tired and stress out constantly. Again, that's just what i've observed with my parents. One of the reasons why I never chose that route. I'm sure pharmacy is stressful too, but if your like me, don't like touching people, pharmacy might be a better option. Why don't you check out allnurses.com and ask them how nursing is. You could always volunteer is a hospital and see what it's like.
       

      Phantom_Eclipse

      Member
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      May 11, 2006
      105
      0
      Texas
      1. Pre-Pharmacy
        My parents tried to force Nursing on me, too. Like Stormy, I'm not too fond of the "hands-on" approach in the medical setting. I know it sounds contradictory, but that's how I am. What I did was project myself ten yrs from graduating to where I see myself working. Ultimately, working the pharmacy setting appealed to me more than working in ICU, Med Surg, Tele, etc. Good luck with your decision!
         

        KM86

        Member
        10+ Year Member
        Jul 20, 2006
        33
        1
        1. Pre-Pharmacy
          Hey I am in the same situation as yours my mom and my sister are RNs. I have recently decided to go for Pharmacy. If you want to start making money asap then pick RN and you will make a good living. but if you want to be rich quicker then pick Pharmacy lol. I chose to be a Pharmacist because I want to be rich quick and i feel comfortable dealing with chemistry and math and 3rd I always wanted to have a Dr title. Once you have that title no one can mess with you. lol
           

          Dr. Leca

          Member
          10+ Year Member
          Jul 4, 2006
          48
          0
          1. Pre-Pharmacy
            I'll make it more simple

            I like them both, Pharmacy abit more. Pharmacy school is more difficult and longer, and I question my ability to go through with it.

            I can be an RN in just 3 more years and make 70k per year. Pharmacy would take another 7 years but I would easily grab 100k.

            Tough choice, fast cash or study harder and grab more cash.

            It just pisses me off all the BS one has to go through to get into a school of pharmacy. Fukin bachelors degree, 3 letters, great gpa, work experience in pharmacy, essay, lots of cash, ect. I would be so nervous for my interview knowing all the BS I had to do to get there.

            The whole situation makes me sick, but I want to be a fukin pharmacist and I guess thats what I'll have to do.

            dammit
             

            PRINCESS_IJ

            Member
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Apr 26, 2006
            84
            1
            Maryland
            1. Pharmacist
              Ouch!!!! the language

              Anyway, i can partially understand you on this matter because i am an RN about to get into pharmacy. Nursing is nice if you have the stamina to do a lot of overtime. Without overtime, the money is not that great (i mean when compared to pharmacy), also nursing can be degrading as opposed to pharmacy which is more prestigious. So my advice to you is to think deeply and make an informed decision. Do you like Chemistry and mathematics, and would like to make good money without killing yourself with overtime? or do you prefer the short healthcare path and are able to ALWAYS work a lot of overtime so as to make the type of income you'll want? The choice is yours.....

              Dr. Leca said:
              I'll make it more simple

              I like them both, Pharmacy abit more. Pharmacy school is more difficult and longer, and I question my ability to go through with it.

              I can be an RN in just 3 more years and make 70k per year. Pharmacy would take another 7 years but I would easily grab 100k.

              Tough choice, fast cash or study harder and grab more cash.

              It just pisses me off all the BS one has to go through to get into a school of pharmacy. Fukin bachelors degree, 3 letters, great gpa, work experience in pharmacy, essay, lots of cash, ect. I would be so nervous for my interview knowing all the BS I had to do to get there.

              The whole situation makes me sick, but I want to be a fukin pharmacist and I guess thats what I'll have to do.

              dammit
               

              Dr. Leca

              Member
              10+ Year Member
              Jul 4, 2006
              48
              0
              1. Pre-Pharmacy
                I guess Pharmacy is more for me.

                My only job is being a Pharmacy clerk, its my first and only job. I really like it.

                But I've always wanted to be an NP, Its just something I was interested in.

                Nurses probably work alot of overtime, but the Pharmacist spend the entire day on their feet.

                I'll go for the dream, but If I can't get in, and I am too stupid to go through Pharmacy school, then I'll go to RN.
                 

                a504n

                Member
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Apr 5, 2006
                138
                0
                  If you truly want to become a pharmacist, I say go for it. When I was applying for pharmacy school. I only applied to one school. I was like 99.99% sure I was gonna get rejected. I didn't have a bachelors and my GPA was not great at all. I was not a competitive student. I already planned on moving out of state and starting fresh with my pre-pharm to get my grades better and work towards a bachelors, because that's how bad I wanted to become a pharmacist. All my friends and family were like, just major in something less competitive. I didn't want to do anything BUT pharmacy, which is why I was willing to start over. But thank God, I got accepted to pharamcy school this fall. I say try for pharmacy, and if you can't get into pharmacy school, then go for nursing, since you said you don't mind do nursing.
                   

                  KM86

                  Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jul 20, 2006
                  33
                  1
                  1. Pre-Pharmacy
                    a504n said:
                    If you truly want to become a pharmacist, I say go for it. When I was applying for pharmacy school. I only applied to one school. I was like 99.99% sure I was gonna get rejected. I didn't have a bachelors and my GPA was not great at all. I was not a competitive student. I already planned on moving out of state and starting fresh with my pre-pharm to get my grades better and work towards a bachelors, because that's how bad I wanted to become a pharmacist. All my friends and family were like, just major in something less competitive. I didn't want to do anything BUT pharmacy, which is why I was willing to start over. But thank God, I got accepted to pharamcy school this fall. I say try for pharmacy, and if you can't get into pharmacy school, then go for nursing, since you said you don't mind do nursing.

                    how did u get accepted? didnt they look at ur past bad grades record? also give me some advice how did u improve? i know hard work but give me details lol
                     

                    a504n

                    Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Apr 5, 2006
                    138
                    0
                      KM86 said:
                      how did u get accepted? didnt they look at ur past bad grades record? also give me some advice how did u improve? i know hard work but give me details lol

                      I'm not exactly sure why they chose me. I didn't really "improve", since this was my first time ever applying to pharmacy school. All I did was finish my pre-requisites then applied. My GPA was a 3.1 and I had no pharmacy experience or anything to make me competitive. However, the school did say that GPA was NOT their number one factor in determining whether or not you get in. They said the MOST important factor was your letter or recomendations, and second was your personal statement, and last was your GPA. They said they don't believe GPA's will determine whether or not you will be a successful pharmacist. So that tells you that not all schools look at grades as the only factor in determining if you get in or not. So don't lose hope!

                      The reason I was 99.99% sure I would get rejected is because the school I applied to chooses their pre-pharmacy students first, and then they choose around 15 students from other schools. I was 1 of the 15 students they chose out of 1,500 students that applied. To be honest, I think the reason I got accepted was God. I know this, because my grandma called a week BEFORE I received my acceptance letter and told me that God told her I was accepted into Pharmacy school. Sure enough, the next week, I received my acceptance letter in the mail.
                       

                      KM86

                      Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      Jul 20, 2006
                      33
                      1
                      1. Pre-Pharmacy
                        a504n said:
                        I'm not exactly sure why they chose me. I didn't really "improve", since this was my first time ever applying to pharmacy school. All I did was finish my pre-requisites then applied. My GPA was a 3.1 and I had no pharmacy experience or anything to make me competitive. However, the school did say that GPA was NOT their number one factor in determining whether or not you get in. They said the MOST important factor was your letter or recomendations, and second was your personal statement, and last was your GPA. They said they don't believe GPA's will determine whether or not you will be a successful pharmacist. So that tells you that not all schools look at grades as the only factor in determining if you get in or not. So don't lose hope!

                        The reason I was 99.99% sure I would get rejected is because the school I applied to chooses their pre-pharmacy students first, and then they choose around 15 students from other schools. I was 1 of the 15 students they chose out of 1,500 students that applied. To be honest, I think the reason I got accepted was God. I know this, because my grandma called a week BEFORE I received my acceptance letter and told me that God told her I was accepted into Pharmacy school. Sure enough, the next week, I received my acceptance letter in the mail.


                        Amen on that. God brought me to Pharmacy too. what college do you attend now?
                         

                        a504n

                        Member
                        10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Apr 5, 2006
                        138
                        0
                          KM86 said:
                          Amen on that. God brought me to Pharmacy too. what college do you attend now?

                          This fall, I will be attending the Xavier University College of Pharmacy. I took my pre-requisites at the University of New Orleans. Right now, I am in Houston, TX attending the University of St. Thomas, because I am missing the Theology requirement for Xavier, so I am taking that right now.
                           

                          ForTce

                          Membership Revoked
                          Removed
                          10+ Year Member
                          May 20, 2006
                          73
                          0
                            a504n said:
                            This fall, I will be attending the Xavier University College of Pharmacy. I took my pre-requisites at the University of New Orleans. Right now, I am in Houston, TX attending the University of St. Thomas, because I am missing the Theology requirement for Xavier, so I am taking that right now.

                            Private schools are easy to get in compared to state schools.
                            you're just lucky.
                            you will never get accepted to UH with those stats for instance.
                             

                            Phantom_Eclipse

                            Member
                            10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            May 11, 2006
                            105
                            0
                            Texas
                            1. Pre-Pharmacy
                              ForTce said:
                              Private schools are easy to get in compared to state schools.
                              you're just lucky.
                              you will never get accepted to UH with those stats for instance.

                              Although that's true, how exactly was that relevant to the discussion?
                              He/she was just saying how one CAN get accepted to A pharmacy school without the stats that soar above the skies :rolleyes:

                              As for the OP, it's a good idea to take on pharmacy first, and go for the RN as a second-choice. That's what I did, and fortunately, I didn't have to go with my second-choice.
                               

                              a504n

                              Member
                              10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Apr 5, 2006
                              138
                              0
                                Phantom_Eclipse said:
                                Although that's true, how exactly was that relevant to the discussion?
                                He/she was just saying how one CAN get accepted to A pharmacy school without the stats that soar above the skies :rolleyes:

                                Thank you! That's exactly what I was saying. I knew I wouldn't be able to get into UH with those stats. I was almost 100% sure I wouldn't get into Xavier, which is why I planned on re-taking my pre-pharm courses I made C's in, which none of them were science courses, and also work towards a bachelors degree. But I was able to get accepted my first time applying. Plus, Xavier was my first and only choice school. So I'm happy. :)
                                 
                                About the Ads
                                This thread is more than 15 years old.

                                Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                7. This thread is locked.