RN to MD or DMD....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makeitrain6969

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a RN who has been thinking about getting into MD program or DMD (dentist). So why the transition? I realized as a RN, im not treating the patients problem myself. The physician is the one who diagnose, comes up with the treatment plan and we as RNs carry out the physicians order. Im proud to be a RN, but i dont picture myself doing this for the rest of my life...i have a 3.75 overall gpa and 3.7 science gpa, so i dont want to waste my hard work. I know i want to be a doctor but im not sure if i want to be a medical doctor or dental doctor. So far, being a dentist sounds so good...but a part of me feels my RN experience can help me a lot if i become a physician....both dental school and medical requires the same pre-reqs so it leaves me thinking more which route to take.

Dentist: focus on the patient's teeth, gums, mouth, jaw and anything oral. Able to diagnose, order ct scans, do surgery, prescribe medications and etc. Also, great lifestlye, no life threatening calls, great hours per week and relieve the patient's problem/pain with surgery.

Physician: i would get into internal medicine. Internal medicine: diagnose, handle simple/complex cases, treat the patients overall health through medicine and get that "prestige" of being a doctor...the downside i see of being a physician is the lifestyle, you dont do surgery (unless ur a surgeon), very stressful, work 50-60 hours a week, malpractice insurance, high risk of getting sued, sleep deprived and etc.

What do you guys think...

Members don't see this ad.

I am a RN who has been thinking about getting into MD program or DMD (dentist). So why the transition? I realized as a RN, im not treating the patients problem myself. The physician is the one who diagnose, comes up with the treatment plan and we as RNs carry out the physicians order. Im proud to be a RN, but i dont picture myself doing this for the rest of my life...i have a 3.75 overall gpa and 3.7 science gpa, so i dont want to waste my hard work. I know i want to be a doctor but im not sure if i want to be a medical doctor or dental doctor. So far, being a dentist sounds so good...but a part of me feels my RN experience can help me a lot if i become a physician....both dental school and medical requires the same pre-reqs so it leaves me thinking more which route to take.

Dentist: focus on the patient's teeth, gums, mouth, jaw and anything oral. Able to diagnose, order ct scans, do surgery, prescribe medications and etc. Also, great lifestlye, no life threatening calls, great hours per week and relieve the patient's problem/pain with surgery.

Physician: i would get into internal medicine. Internal medicine: diagnose, handle simple/complex cases, treat the patients overall health through medicine and get that "prestige" of being a doctor...the downside i see of being a physician is the lifestyle, you dont do surgery (unless ur a surgeon), very stressful, work 50-60 hours a week, malpractice insurance, high risk of getting sued, sleep deprived and etc.

What do you guys think...

Dentist