RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jperche

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am in some need of guidance. I am going to be graduating from the BN program and become an RN in April 2005. The University that I am going to be applying at to get in for a MD requires me to have 2 full time years before I can apply under the special consideration category (health care professions becoming MD's). Do you think it is possible to study during these 2 years working full time and prep myself for the MCAT? If so, what would be the best way to prep myself for the MCAT? By the way, I have no science courses to help me out. I went in to nursing right out of highschool. What do you think?

J

Members don't see this ad.

jperche said:
Hi everyone. I am in some need of guidance. I am going to be graduating from the BN program and become an RN in April 2005. The University that I am going to be applying at to get in for a MD requires me to have 2 full time years before I can apply under the special consideration category (health care professions becoming MD's). Do you think it is possible to study during these 2 years working full time and prep myself for the MCAT? If so, what would be the best way to prep myself for the MCAT? By the way, I have no science courses to help me out. I went in to nursing right out of highschool. What do you think?

J

I am a firm believer in the Kaplan courses (no, I do not work for them). I took my MCAT with only 1 semester of O-chem (sans lab) and no college physics. I also took Kaplan and scored a 30 (11, 9, 10) which was more than enough to get me in. I took the in person lecture course and went through every practice question they had.

It worked for me! You mileage may vary...

- H

I pm'd u. Check your private message.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you taken your pre-reqs? They will help and if you decide to work for two years and study in the interim you should do well on the MCAT.

If you don't need to be in class to learn, i.e self-motivated. I wouldn't necessarily take the Kaplan course$$$$$$. I would get some study books and try to get some old practice exams, they are out there.

Ada2004 said:
I pm'd u. Check your private message.

You can enroll in a four year university and take your required courses. If you want to do that in two years you may have to take summer classes. You may have completed one or two required courses if you are obtaining you nursing degree from a four-year university.

Sample schedule

Fall
Biology 1 and Chemistry 1

Spring
Biology 2 and Chemistry 2

Summer
Organic 1 and Organic 2

Fall

Physics 1 and Calculus

Spring
Physics 2 and you can do your MCAT.
remember some hospitals consider 36 hours full time.