RN to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rna37

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and I have some questions I was hoping you might be able to answer.

First, let me explain my situation: I just graduated from a small, private university with a major in philosophy and a 3.86 GPA (would have been 3.9ish, but I had a horrible last semester).

Anyhow, I have been entertaining the idea of entering the medical field for quite some time, especially since I think getting a PhD in the liberal arts might not be the best career move.

I am going to begin school again at IUPUI this fall, but I am not exactly sure what I will be studying. I have considered pursuing the accelerated second BSN, as I can probably arrange to have my education paid for by a local hospital. After completing that program and working for a few years, I would go back to school, get an MSN as a psychiatric and mental health NP and then (hopefully) work in private practice as a psychotherapist.

The problem is I can't get medical school out of my head. If money and time were not an issue, I would choose medical school hands down, as I think I would be much more interested in the medical education itself -- I love science, and I even look forward to completing the science pre-reqs for medical school.

So, my question is, if I complete the BSN along with all the medical school pre-reqs and have 2 years of experience as an RN under my belt, is this going to hinder me at all if I choose to pursue medical school later? At the same time, I don't want to give up on the BSN because I feel like its an important fall back option...I don't want to spend 3 years doing a post-bacc for medical school and then not have my plans work out for whatever reason -- if they didn't, at least I could go back to school and become an NP.

If I did decide to pursue medicine after working as an RN for a while, what else would I need to do to be a competitive applicant? Obviously a high GPA and good MCAT scores, but I mean more in the way of volunteer work and clinical experience. I would think working as an RN would be helpful as far as clinical experience goes, but I'm not sure. Would my experience as an RN hinder me in any way, or would it help?

If my post seems confused and unorganized, I apologize. The whole endeavor seems daunting to me, and I'm not quite sure where to begin or what to do. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and I have some questions I was hoping you might be able to answer.

First, let me explain my situation: I just graduated from a small, private university with a major in philosophy and a 3.86 GPA (would have been 3.9ish, but I had a horrible last semester).

Anyhow, I have been entertaining the idea of entering the medical field for quite some time, especially since I think getting a PhD in the liberal arts might not be the best career move.

I am going to begin school again at IUPUI this fall, but I am not exactly sure what I will be studying. I have considered pursuing the accelerated second BSN, as I can probably arrange to have my education paid for by a local hospital. After completing that program and working for a few years, I would go back to school, get an MSN as a psychiatric and mental health NP and then (hopefully) work in private practice as a psychotherapist.

The problem is I can't get medical school out of my head. If money and time were not an issue, I would choose medical school hands down, as I think I would be much more interested in the medical education itself -- I love science, and I even look forward to completing the science pre-reqs for medical school.

So, my question is, if I complete the BSN along with all the medical school pre-reqs and have 2 years of experience as an RN under my belt, is this going to hinder me at all if I choose to pursue medical school later? At the same time, I don't want to give up on the BSN because I feel like its an important fall back option...I don't want to spend 3 years doing a post-bacc for medical school and then not have my plans work out for whatever reason -- if they didn't, at least I could go back to school and become an NP.

If I did decide to pursue medicine after working as an RN for a while, what else would I need to do to be a competitive applicant? Obviously a high GPA and good MCAT scores, but I mean more in the way of volunteer work and clinical experience. I would think working as an RN would be helpful as far as clinical experience goes, but I'm not sure. Would my experience as an RN hinder me in any way, or would it help?

If my post seems confused and unorganized, I apologize. The whole endeavor seems daunting to me, and I'm not quite sure where to begin or what to do. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.

I can't imagine being an RN would hurt in any way. In fact it will probably make you a much better candidate than others.
But I personally think you should go ahead and try to get into medical school. The time/money thing is hard I know, but there are resources available and people get by through lean years perfectly fine. My brother's wife did her post-bac while acting as a parent to her kid sister, and while in medical school gave birth twice and now is in her residency with a 1 year old and three year old.
Plus I don't really agree with the "fall back" idea, because you haven't even tried to apply to med school yet. The nursing programs will always be there for you to apply to if med schools reject you (which I highly doubt). You have good grades. Just do your prereqs, build some ECs and apply. Trust me, given your record so far you'll get in. And if you really want a "fall back" why not consider DO schools? or an NP fast-track program? or PA school?

You're probably right, but there are a few reasons that I'm a bit hesitant to give up on the RN thing so soon.

First, it will take me at least two years to finish the post-bacc (duh) if I just focus on knocking out all the science requirements. However, it would probably take me longer if I have to take math, because I haven't taken a real math class since high school (I took math 101 in college because it was all I needed to graduate with a liberal arts degree. I aced it, though that isn't saying much as there was very little difficult math). I would basically have to work my way up to calc from college algebra, which I would probably take along with Bio before taking chem and physics.

Is it going to be a problem if I don't take a year of math, not even college algebra? I am an Indiana resident, so applying to IU is a given, and they have no requirements for math at all. Will not taking a year of math limit my choices way too much? Will it look bad compared to my competition? I worry because I really only have the time and money to do a bare bones post-bacc. If I don't work full time, I need to be working near full time so I can get a head start on paying back my nasty student debt.

One other question...would it be possible to knock some of the post-bacc requirements out over the summer, or would this be a horrible idea? It has been a while since I have taken a real science class, too. I took bio 100 in college with no problems and also and introductory neuro course, but I imagine these are nothing compared to the rigor of the pre-med classes...they will probably be unlike any course I have taken before in college.

Again, I apologize for my noobish-ness. I am sort of going into this blind because I haven't had the chance to talk to a pre-med advisor yet, since there are no official pre-med advisors at IUPUI (at least this is what the admissions people tell me). I think I will have to start bugging some people in the bio dept. and see if I can get a better idea about where I need to be heading.

Thanks again for the response. I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I have a different perspective as a non-trad applicant. I look at the decision to pursue medicine as a commitment to a 20-30 year career, not just getting into medical school. I know an extra year of coursework (above the two you'd be doing) seems like a lot to deal with and a huge sacrifice, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really?
Every attending physician I've talked to says most doctors don't hit there stride and peak powers until practicing for 10+ years, when they are experienced and seasoned. Does it really matter if you hit those "golden" years when you are 40 versus 42, etc.?
The question really becomes, how bad do you want it? Is it the career that will most make you fulfilled and leave you excited to go to work? Ultimately, it lies in understanding what you want. And medicine isn't something one should go into without some self-reflection. I mean there's the $150,000+ debt thing, the mediocre salaries during residency and fellowship, and its time consuming and rigorous. But life's too short to hedge bets on things that will make you happy, especially something as thoroughly achievable for you as medicine.

It isn't that doing an extra year or two of post-bacc would be excruciatingly horrible...its just that I was wondering how necessary completing the year of math would be as far as getting in goes at a school that doesn't require a year of math. I might end up taking college algebra anyway just to be sure I can handle the physics and chem -- its not like it could really hurt. I just don't want to spend another year doing calc because I've heard that its not really all that necessary unless a school requires it.

I think my big problem is I'm just not sure what I should be doing to maximize my chances of succeeding in medicine...which includes doing well in all my classes, getting into medical school, and everything after.

The other problem is I just keep worrying that something will happen and things won't work out. I know not every pre-med makes it into medical school, and I don't want to be overly optimistic about my chances. I know all I can do is prepare myself to the best of my abilities and take it from there, but at the moment, I'm not quite sure what all goes into that preparation...which is what leaves me feeling a bit lost and unsure of what to do and how to structure my post-bacc.

Even though many schools don't require math, almost all schools explicitly recommend it on their websites. You'll have to do some research on what individual requirements are for each school. Part me thinks you should try to take Calculus because the top 20 schools generally require it and honestly, you could potentially in two to three years be a competitive candidate at those schools. But if you decide against it at least consider taking a biostatistics class along with your college algebra. That way you'll have a year of college math to show for schools who don't require calculus.

I'm sure you'll hear the same from premedical advisors, but I'll pass on what my premed advisors told me are the best things to do to prepare:

1) Ace all your postbac science courses (obviously)
2) Get a 30+ MCAT, 34+ for top schools
3) patient contact experience - preferably in a hospital setting, not ER.
4) goodwill works - volunteer work, helping underserved communities, etc. health or clinical related is best.
5) Medical research experience either clinical or biomedical.
6) Physician shadowing - as many specialties as you can.

So you just graduated with your associates degree in nursing? The philosophy major thing confused me. And you haven't started working as an RN yet? If this is the case...then why don't you start off taking one class at a time while starting to work. Pick a class that may work toward your BSN or just a bachelors in science. (Maybe a math or stats class) This way you can get a better feel if being an RN is going to satisfy you or if you just really won't be happy unless you become an MD. As an RN myself (non trad, but predent) I would guess that if MD is crossing your mind now, you probably wont be very happy just taking orders from them for the rest of your career. So, like one of the previous posters said, who cares how long it takes. You just have to look at it as part of the journey. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by all the things you have to get done and how long it is going to take you. Focus on some smaller portions of the journey. And whatever you do, If you do decide to go to med school, don't tell anyone you are working with about your plans...they will eat you alive! Keep your future plans to yourself....trust me, as soon as they find out you want to be a doc instead all hell will break loose. :)

You'll probably need calc as a prereq to physics. I don't know how willing you are to jump back into school, but you can take bio, gen chem, and precalc together, then org, calc and physics the next year.

So you just graduated with your associates degree in nursing? The philosophy major thing confused me. And you haven't started working as an RN yet? If this is the case...then why don't you start off taking one class at a time while starting to work. Pick a class that may work toward your BSN or just a bachelors in science. (Maybe a math or stats class) This way you can get a better feel if being an RN is going to satisfy you or if you just really won't be happy unless you become an MD. As an RN myself (non trad, but predent) I would guess that if MD is crossing your mind now, you probably wont be very happy just taking orders from them for the rest of your career. So, like one of the previous posters said, who cares how long it takes. You just have to look at it as part of the journey. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by all the things you have to get done and how long it is going to take you. Focus on some smaller portions of the journey. And whatever you do, If you do decide to go to med school, don't tell anyone you are working with about your plans...they will eat you alive! Keep your future plans to yourself....trust me, as soon as they find out you want to be a doc instead all hell will break loose. :)

You really didn't read the OP's initial thread, did you? She stated that she received her bachelors in philosophy and is considering a second bachelor in nursing.

She isn't a nurse yet.

You'll probably need calc as a prereq to physics. I don't know how willing you are to jump back into school, but you can take bio, gen chem, and precalc together, then org, calc and physics the next year.

Not necessarily. One can take physics that trig/algebra based which doesn't require calculus.

Hi! I'm new as well and looking toward a somewhat similar situation. It is always encouraging to hear from other non-pre-med students!
I'm currently studying for my BSN, getting ready to start clinicals in January (I'm a bit of an obsessive pre-planner, which is why I've come here to a med forum so early :D). I've always had it in the back of my head that I'd like to become to a doctor, but it just never seemed very possible. But now, things have changed for me. It doesn't just seem possible, but is something that I feel I need to do. I'm very well set for gaining my BSN and earning a decent academic reputation - I have a 3.9 culminative, I'm a member of my college's Honors program and several honor societies. I also started early, so I'll graduate at 20. I intend to take those extra two years I've gained to work and take additional classes after I graduate. My goal to is work at MUSC in Charleston, take the classes, and then apply to their medical school. I feel that settling for a BSN when students who graduate later and earn B-/C's get the same degree is missing an opportunity - and something that I'd regret for the rest of my life.

Best of luck to us both! :oops:

You really didn't read the OP's initial thread, did you? She stated that she received her bachelors in philosophy and is considering a second bachelor in nursing.

She isn't a nurse yet.
Why do you have to be so negative? Sorry I didn't understand the OP as well as you did. You must be better than me! But it really doesn't help anyone does it?

I'm a non-trad also and quite obsessive about getting into med school. During my browsing of how-to-impress-med-schools threads I ran across a comment made by an ADCOM saying that they are reluctant to take RNs because that contributes to the RN shortage. I was a little shocked to read this so I asked my uncle whos an MD and once served as an ADCOM and he said the same thing. Isn't it great that med schools want you to have experience but if you have experience they dont want you?

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard this also, and it discourages me because RN to MD is the path i'm taking.

damned if you do, damned if you dont.

but I mean, since there are living, breathing MDs that came from an RN background, it cant be that unfeasible....right?

i've heard this also, and it discourages me because RN to MD is the path i'm taking.

damned if you do, damned if you dont.

but I mean, since there are living, breathing MDs that came from an RN background, it cant be that unfeasible....right?

That's quite true.

There is a tremendous diversity of opinions on this. I think we tend to forget that admission committee members are not all cut from the same mold.

Although the old grey dudes are still hanging on. And they come from a different age where everyone staid in their assigned seats and white frat boys had all the inroads into medicine.

So you never know whose gonna be looking over your app.

By the way. cool signature. I really like Ben Okri myself.

That's quite true.

There is a tremendous diversity of opinions on this. I think we tend to forget that admission committee members are not all cut from the same mold.

Although the old grey dudes are still hanging on. And they come from a different age where everyone staid in their assigned seats and white frat boys had all the inroads into medicine.

So you never know whose gonna be looking over your app.

By the way. cool signature. I really like Ben Okri myself.

I like to think it's a solid enough plan. Id much like to avoid the whole "PT minimum wage through grad school" scenario. Nursing will give me clinical and patient care experience, & give me advantages with my classes and such, and also a steady, solid income. At this age it'd be safe to assume that i will most likely do the whole marraige and/or family thing before finishing med school, and that coffee shop hourly wont help me.

If anything, it should be an indicator of one's commitment. To be around all of the red tape, and trauma, and long hours, and any other "unattractive" aspect of the profession... and still want to forge ahead? In my opinion possibly makes an even better candidate than those without that experience.
::no offense meant to anyone::

Sigh...I suppose i'll have to close my eyes and pray.

...and thanks. that quote allows me to gain perspective at LEAST once a day. ive been kinda wound up lately, lol.

I like to think it's a solid enough plan. Id much like to avoid the whole "PT minimum wage through grad school" scenario. Nursing will give me clinical and patient care experience, & give me advantages with my classes and such, and also a steady, solid income. At this age it'd be safe to assume that i will most likely do the whole marraige and/or family thing before finishing med school, and that coffee shop hourly wont help me.

If anything, it should be an indicator of one's commitment. To be around all of the red tape, and trauma, and long hours, and any other "unattractive" aspect of the profession... and still want to forge ahead? In my opinion possibly makes an even better candidate than those without that experience.
::no offense meant to anyone::

Sigh...I suppose i'll have to close my eyes and pray.

...and thanks. that quote allows me to gain perspective at LEAST once a day. ive been kinda wound up lately, lol.

I so hear you on that. You have to put together the best scrap metal contraption you can to catapult you where you want to go.

I took the other route. And at 35. Wondering how I'm going to get together the money to apply to 30+ schools while begging for some jr. lab rat position I can say wholeheartedly...I should have gotten a AA in nursing 10 years ago and gone on from there.

There's enough people out there in the position of being "deciders" who either weren't wearing a stethoscope at age 6 or don't mind if you didn't. You'll be alright.

I hear some negative isolated things but overwhelmingly the people who respond here on this are successful RN-to-Doc transitioners. It's the academics, gpa and mcat, that are the limiting factors to nontrad success, for the most part.

I am so glad to see this forum. I have realized that I will not be happy unless I become an MD. I recently graduated from LPN school and passed my boards last week. While in school I decided that I really want to be a doctor. I am starting back to school in the fall for RN. I have not decided if I want to get my ASN then a BS in Biology or just go for my BSN. I wanted to get advice from current premed or med students.

Also I guess I would be considered a very untraditional student...my story...I actually quit high school and got my GED. And for a few years I had no clue what I wanted to do. I went to school and got a certificate in Medical Office Administration while there I decided I wanted to be a nurse and in nursing school I decided to be a doctor.

I know that getting into med school is hard and my circumstances are going to make it harder....just looking for advice.

Sorry this is long.....but thanks for reading.

I am so glad to see this forum. I have realized that I will not be happy unless I become an MD. I recently graduated from LPN school and passed my boards last week. While in school I decided that I really want to be a doctor. I am starting back to school in the fall for RN. I have not decided if I want to get my ASN then a BS in Biology or just go for my BSN. I wanted to get advice from current premed or med students.

Also I guess I would be considered a very untraditional student...my story...I actually quit high school and got my GED. And for a few years I had no clue what I wanted to do. I went to school and got a certificate in Medical Office Administration while there I decided I wanted to be a nurse and in nursing school I decided to be a doctor.

I know that getting into med school is hard and my circumstances are going to make it harder....just looking for advice.

Sorry this is long.....but thanks for reading.

I think you'll be alright. As its been reiterated on these boards, just aim for an impressive app. strong gpa, strong mcats, strong volunteer and ec's. all the other stuff *shouldn't , in my opinion, matter.

as for ASN vs BSN, only you can decide that. let me ask you a question.. are we assuming correctly that you have no college credits? In my area LPN is a private health career course, and isnt taught in college, but rather an outside training center, like medical assisting.

Im in the same boat, sort of. Im doing my ASN at a community college, and then transferring to complete my bachelors at university. Im not yet sure if ill pursue my BSN at that point, but seeing as ive already decided on pre med, most likely not.

If you dont want to be a nurse, then I see no point in the RN. the reason Im doing it is I would like to work as an RN through undergrad and hopefully hold shifts through med school.

so i guess that leaves the question: why not work as an LPN and focus your undergrad on pre med or something else? just curious...

I think you'll be alright. As its been reiterated on these boards, just aim for an impressive app. strong gpa, strong mcats, strong volunteer and ec's. all the other stuff *shouldn't , in my opinion, matter.

as for ASN vs BSN, only you can decide that. let me ask you a question.. are we assuming correctly that you have no college credits? In my area LPN is a private health career course, and isnt taught in college, but rather an outside training center, like medical assisting.

Im in the same boat, sort of. Im doing my ASN at a community college, and then transferring to complete my bachelors at university. Im not yet sure if ill pursue my BSN at that point, but seeing as ive already decided on pre med, most likely not.

If you dont want to be a nurse, then I see no point in the RN. the reason Im doing it is I would like to work as an RN through undergrad and hopefully hold shifts through med school.

so i guess that leaves the question: why not work as an LPN and focus your undergrad on pre med or something else? just curious...

Thanks for your reply. I also was thinking of being able to pull shifts as an RN while in school. In my area an LPN is taught at a technical college with credits that will transfer towards an ASN. Thats why I figured on getting my ASN in order to obtain my RN giving me a means of support while in school just like you. I also realize that the actual title of your BA or BS such as biology, chemistry etc. doesnt really concern med schools as much as if you have all the pre reqs, a good gpa, and good mcat scores. That is the only reason Im debating about getting a BSN. This probably sounds like rambling but Im so excited about becoming a doctor but feel so totally overwhelmed sometimes about all that it takes.

Thanks for your reply. I also was thinking of being able to pull shifts as an RN while in school. In my area an LPN is taught at a technical college with credits that will transfer towards an ASN. Thats why I figured on getting my ASN in order to obtain my RN giving me a means of support while in school just like you. I also realize that the actual title of your BA or BS such as biology, chemistry etc. doesnt really concern med schools as much as if you have all the pre reqs, a good gpa, and good mcat scores. That is the only reason Im debating about getting a BSN. This probably sounds like rambling but Im so excited about becoming a doctor but feel so totally overwhelmed sometimes about all that it takes.

My advice would be then to just do the ASN... a BSN is more for those who want to remain a nurse, as it opens opportunities for supervisory and admin roles in nursing. other than that, you dont really need it.

as far as money, my best friend completed a 2 yr ASN and has only been out of school since 06 and makes almost 100k a year in PICU, but again, it depends on location (im in northern nj area, we have major hospitals around here, such as HUMC, which is one of the foremost trauma centers in the tri state.) If I make HALF of that while in school, I should be ok.

My point being, if you really want to work as a nurse in the interim of becoming a doctor, just complete the ASN. finish your BA or BS in something else you're interested in. There's a long road ahead for us, may as well do something you're completely interested in.

Well I would add that as a BSN rather than simply RN,yes as DaniMD added, you have more supervisory and admin roles. I think that such roles might help a lot on your application. Doctor have a fair number of people working under them, and some experience with that already as a BSN may help - you'll know a little more about managing other people than as a biology or chem major.
But just my opinion! Keep us updated, I'm very intersted in hearing how other nurses choose to get in!

Well I would add that as a BSN rather than simply RN,yes as DaniMD added, you have more supervisory and admin roles. I think that such roles might help a lot on your application. Doctor have a fair number of people working under them, and some experience with that already as a BSN may help - you'll know a little more about managing other people than as a biology or chem major.
But just my opinion! Keep us updated, I'm very intersted in hearing how other nurses choose to get in!

I do agree with this... but if one is using RN as a stepping stone to MD, it wouldn't be necessary to complete BSN. By all means, if you have a passion for supervisory roles in healthcare, or say, if you planned to work for a good amount of time prior to applying to med school, then it certainly will not hurt you to do so. My opinion, however is that if its solely a stepping stone used for the experience and to ease the transition then it wouldn't be worth it... at least in my area, you wouldn't reach a supervisory position that would make a huge difference in role or payscale in time time allotted..i.e. the four years of med school prior to residency. But again, just my opinion.

I graduated with my BSN last year. It was a one year program. I already had a BS in biology. I went for my BSN degree because I was debating between NP and DO, I needed healthcare experience, and because it took some time to shadow, take the MCAT and apply.

I found that being an RN really helped my application. I did not have great grades and my MCAT was ok, but not stellar. I got into several DO programs. I did get the question, "Why not NP?" a lot.

You can find good paying jobs with just the RN, but it seems that there are many hospitals now (especially in bigger cities) that only take BSN. I don't think it necessarily is for people that want supervisory roles.

Good luck to you.

Hello, everyone. Im kinda of new to the post and was not sure where to start so here I go.
To spare the dramatic version of my life I will try to hit it straight on. Im a 40 y/o RN, BSN for 14 years who has always wanted to become a Physician. I had an average college start and withdrew from school, due to a series of family and financial issues. I believe, that I have a combined gpa, (over the years & 3 colleges to my BSn) of maybe 3.4 to 3.6 all undergrad . As a new freshman, 22 years ago? I took biology I/ chem I that resulted in an F for obvious reasons of a freshman away from home. I repeated chemI twice and got a C.(2 diff chems at that time one was college chem/ the other principles of chem, my advisor seemed to think that one was more challenging than the other:eek:.) After all of the drama subsided in My life I took my nursing prereqs and made all As, anatomy, pathophys, micro,,,,etc. Never took any of the other required courses for premed cuz at the time I had not fully recovered from my husbands death. So,, here I am trying to figure out the best way to go about 1) getting my prereqs all in and the best way to do that. 2) How to boost my gpa. Since I have a BSN, and have not taken the mcat or applied to med school, I cant do an SMP so that is out.
Will a MPH, be helpful while taking the required prereqs ? Should I consider a Post Bacc program for my Pre reqs or should I just take them at a 4 yr univ? What do I do????? Ive been reading all these post for about 6 months and finally decided to just put it out there. I am grateful and appreciative for any recommendations to help me get started.

Last edited:
Why do you have to be so negative? Sorry I didn't understand the OP as well as you did. You must be better than me! But it really doesn't help anyone does it?

How was that negative? I think you are being a little too sensitive. And I do think it helps others, because before commenting on someone's post they should read it through and not just jump to conclusions.

You better start developing a thicker skin because if you think I was negative (I'm far from a negative person), you are going to have a tough time working towards your goal of being a dentist.

How was that negative? I think you are being a little too sensitive. And I do think it helps others, because before commenting on someone's post they should read it through and not just jump to conclusions.

You better start developing a thicker skin because if you think I was negative (I'm far from a negative person), you are going to have a tough time working towards your goal of being a dentist.
Wow, you are sooooo right...that's why I think I'll give up now and save myself the aggrevation! Thanks for saving me from wasting my time

I'm in the same boat but pursuing a ASN and planning on going med school right after a BS. Some RN programs offer Fast-track programs that will allow you to graduate within 1 yr if you have completed pre-reqs.

I did the same thing RN-->DO school. I have my BSN then had to take 3 yrs in pre reqs. honestly I think an any RN degree, experience, pre reqs, decent mcat should get you on your way. I can easily say having the RN background makes clinical rotations and PBL style learning a whole lot easier!

Hello, everyone. Im kinda of new to the post and was not sure where to start so here I go.
To spare the dramatic version of my life I will try to hit it straight on. Im a 40 y/o RN, BSN for 14 years who has always wanted to become a Physician. I had an average college start and withdrew from school, due to a series of family and financial issues. I believe, that I have a combined gpa, (over the years & 3 colleges to my BSn) of maybe 3.4 to 3.6 all undergrad . As a new freshman, 22 years ago? I took biology I/ chem I that resulted in an F for obvious reasons of a freshman away from home. I repeated chemI twice and got a C.(2 diff chems at that time one was college chem/ the other principles of chem, my advisor seemed to think that one was more challenging than the other:eek:.) After all of the drama subsided in My life I took my nursing prereqs and made all As, anatomy, pathophys, micro,,,,etc. Never took any of the other required courses for premed cuz at the time I had not fully recovered from my husbands death. So,, here I am trying to figure out the best way to go about 1) getting my prereqs all in and the best way to do that. 2) How to boost my gpa. Since I have a BSN, and have not taken the mcat or applied to med school, I cant do an SMP so that is out.
Will a MPH, be helpful while taking the required prereqs ? Should I consider a Post Bacc program for my Pre reqs or should I just take them at a 4 yr univ? What do I do????? Ive been reading all these post for about 6 months and finally decided to just put it out there. I am grateful and appreciative for any recommendations to help me get started.

I spent 8 yrs as a RN and 4 more in the military and other experiences so I understand. here's what I did. your classes from the day may be omitted? check into that with your local college/call the mcat people. I had 2 dropped from being too old/unidentified. some of your undergrad BSN stuff will be usable but the "nursing classes" will probably not be calculated. whatever is left over, start taking them. you can pick and chose what put on the application because of extra classes (in your pre nursing stuff). I don't see a MPH helping any. you've got the experience and a BS. just work on pre reqs and mcat. :thumbup:

I think that each person should choose what works best for them as there are many options. I have my ADN degree, and do not care to take one more nursing class. I love science and nursing does not have enough of a basis in science for me. At least my program didn't anyway. I am taking the credits from my nursing program(the nursing classes themselves didn't transfer) and transferring into a biology program, which within the major itself has all of the prerequisites for med school. Now, if I chose to do a BSN program plus post bacc it may have taken a little longer depending on the program, but why not take the major that has the prereq's built right in, I thought? Plus, I seriously can't bring myself to take another nursing class!