NP without BSN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnrawlsneuro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard a few people discussing this, but unsure as to how that works/how NP schools look at apps from people who don't have the BSN.

Members don't see this ad.

You should crarify where you are starting from... do you already have your RN? Those places are taking RNs with associates degrees and making them into NPs with masters degrees. There are what is called “direct entry” Np programs where they take you from having no nursing degree all the way through becoming an RN, then on through an NP program. Those aren’t online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, if you have your RN you can do a RN to MSN(NP) tract. Somewhere along the way you either get your BSN or you just hop over into graduate level courses and continue on.

But, all graduated NPs have at minimum a MSN, some now days have DNPs.

You should crarify where you are starting from... do you already have your RN? Those places are taking RNs with associates degrees and making them into NPs with masters degrees. There are what is called “direct entry” Np programs where they take you from having no nursing degree all the way through becoming an RN, then on through an NP program. Those aren’t online.

I don't have an RN. Okay, that makes sense.

So go get your RN anywhere you want... community college, or an accelerated BSN program (typically an accelerated BSN program requires you to have a bachelors degree in something else before you can get in). Then you can go to an NP program program. But I’m aware of no other straight forward way to become an RN without going to an actual in class school to become one. There are skills labs and clinical training that is required to get an RN.

So go get your RN anywhere you want... community college, or an accelerated BSN program (typically an accelerated BSN program requires you to have a bachelors degree in something else before you can get in). Then you can go to an NP program program. But I’m aware of no other straight forward way to become an RN without going to an actual in class school to become one. There are skills labs and clinical training that is required to get an RN.

Paramedic to RN is mostly online with onsite clinicals. But that's a special case. :)

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of as the exception, but seemed hardly worth the mention. I've heard its got some problems and foibles associated with it. If someone is a paramedic, it might be worth looking into, but maybe not even worth the trouble.