RN's, how soon did you complete your Med-school Prereqs after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

la flame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 3rd semester of nursing school for my BSN at a State university. I've been doing rotations pretty heavily these last couple of months and the thought of becoming an MD one day has been lingering in my head for a while.

My plan was to graduate, then take about 2-3 classes (w/ labs included each semester) while I work (hopefully in the ER). According to some Texas medical school website, I would need about 30-32 hours of pre-reqs left since the only prereqs that I took for nursing school that count are Bio 1 and Chem 1, English and some electives (made an A for all). The classes I needed would obv be like another semester of Gen Chem, 2 semesters of Ochem, 3 semesters of another Bio courses, and Physics.

How did you guys take your classes? Full time while working as a nurse or did you guys take 1-2 classes a semester while working ? did you guys work PRN jobs or fulltime? Thanks for any advice, much is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently taking prerequisites while working as a nurse full time. Personally I think you should consider switching majors or at the very least taking the med school prerequisites before you graduate, it will make your life so much easier. I started taking one class right out of school and ultimately it was too much to take on with a new job orientation at the same time. Your hours will be completely unpredictable for the first 3-4 months, rotating days and nights, and then taking extra education classes on your days off. It's a pretty hectic time. If you do decide to become a nurse before premed classes, I'd recommend waiting until you are feeling settled at your job, enjoy some of your free days off for a few months, and then starting with the prerequisites once you are comfortable, one or two at a time. I wouldn't plan on any more than two.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an RN turned MD. Just started residency this year. I highly echo the above post with changing your major. If I could do it all over again I would have just done pre-med. I value my experience but time wise I'm pushing the age limit further than I had ever ideally imagined.

I decided I wanted to go further my 2nd to last semester of my BSN program. I decided to finish and worked for a year before I went back to do prereqs. Then I knocked out bio 2, precalc, orgo1&2 with labs, physics 1&2 with labs, and retook chem 1 cause I had been out for too long to jump into chem 2 ... all in 3 semesters while working full time in ICU. Summer, fall, spring. Looking back that was insane and I never should have taken orgo and physics at the same time. Then there was studying for the MCAT which again taking physics and orgo at the same time was not helpful to retain what I should have.

Switch your major now or take your time with prereqs and the MCAT. That's just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an RN turned MD. Just started residency this year. I highly echo the above post with changing your major. If I could do it all over again I would have just done pre-med. I value my experience but time wise I'm pushing the age limit further than I had ever ideally imagined.

I decided I wanted to go further my 2nd to last semester of my BSN program. I decided to finish and worked for a year before I went back to do prereqs. Then I knocked out bio 2, precalc, orgo1&2 with labs, physics 1&2 with labs, and retook chem 1 cause I had been out for too long to jump into chem 2 ... all in 3 semesters while working full time in ICU. Summer, fall, spring. Looking back that was insane and I never should have taken orgo and physics at the same time. Then there was studying for the MCAT which again taking physics and orgo at the same time was not helpful to retain what I should have.

Switch your major now or take your time with prereqs and the MCAT. That's just my 2 cents.

I think it's too late to switch majors, like I said, I have already finished my 3rd semester of Nursing school and I don't want to quit just incase I don't make it into med school, I at least have a decent paying job after college + I enjoy the healthcare experience I get from nursing!

How were you able to knock out those classes while working full time! I am extremely interested. Specifically, I am wondering how you did it, time-wise, like did you tell you employer you cannot work Tuesday's/Thursdays because you have classes at your university? Did you request certain days of the week for a semester period? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, I am unfamiliar with how nursing contracts work.

Basically, my plan was to tell my future employer I would only be able to work part time (maybe two 12 hour shifts a week) so I could have time to study for school - I don't think I would work full time. Would you recommend taking 2 classes a semester doable and studying for your MCAT after taking the majority of your prereqs?

thank you! Wish you the best in Residency, I am sure you will do great.

How were you able to knock out those classes while working full time! I am extremely interested. Specifically, I am wondering how you did it, time-wise, like did you tell you employer you cannot work Tuesday's/Thursdays because you have classes at your university? Did you request certain days of the week for a semester period?

It's gonna be tough to find somewhere that will take you on part time as a new grad RN. I signed up for Monday through Friday classes. Worked Fri, Sat, Sun...obviously missed whatever class on Fridays and just studied like crazy during the week.

2 classes per semester is doable. Definitely study for the MCAT towards the end of your prereqs. Dont rush that exam and make sure all your prereqs are finished before you take it.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm starting this next Spring. Been a nurse 3 years.

It's gonna be tough to find somewhere that will take you on part time as a new grad RN. I signed up for Monday through Friday classes. Worked Fri, Sat, Sun...obviously missed whatever class on Fridays and just studied like crazy during the week.

2 classes per semester is doable. Definitely study for the MCAT towards the end of your prereqs. Dont rush that exam and make sure all your prereqs are finished before you take it.

appreciate the advice. I will probably be working in a big city in Texas because I am going to college there anwyays so hopefully I can find at least ONE place that is doable with my schedule. Job hunting will be key for my next (final) semester of school. DId you have any social life during your studying for prereqs? Working all weekend must have been crazy it seems.

I'm starting this next Spring. Been a nurse 3 years.

that's what's up dude! what classes are you taking ? And how many hours are you working per week ?

Working full time about 39 hours per week, taking 8 hours (Phys 1 and Chem 1), volunteering doing autopsies for about 10 hours per week, and teaching diabetes prevention for 1 hour per week.

Its nothing upside the intensity of med school from what I hear. Might as well get used to the workload now.

Last edited:
Working full time about 39 hours per week, taking 8 hours (Phys 1 and Chem 1), volunteering doing autopsies for about 10 hours per week, and teaching diabetes prevention for 1 hour per week.

Its nothing upside the intensity of med school from what I hear. Might as well get used to the workload now.

what days are your classes/labs? Was it difficult communicating with your employer about not scheduling your work days the same days as class?