Robbins Q Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakstat33

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the 4th Edition Robbins Q Book that I got for free (don't remember when, how, or why). What is the latest edition out? Do I need it? If yes, should I amazon.com it?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need the latest edition. It's only somewhat useeful for usmle purposes, it's probably the best path question book for path pictures out there, but many of it's questions are too specific. I wouldn't reccomend using it unless you get bored of using your other resources and want to look at some colorful pictures.

Are the questions in BRS Path and BRS Physio any good for USMLE?

Yup, it's good to do them as you read the chapters to make sure that you understand what you are reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kalel said:
Yup, it's good to do them as you read the chapters to make sure that you understand what you are reading.

I am someone who learns from doing questions, not memorizing text. That is how Goljan has been teaching us, and it's been working for me. I plan on making good use of QBank. That being said, do you feel the questions in BRS Path and Physio cover enough of the important points? I might give the books a quick read, but not for memorization purposes. I'd like to really focus on the questions. I'm just wondering if the questions are meant to emphasize the really high-yield topics or are just there for practice purposes? Also, are these questions in a similar format to USMLE questions?

p.s. My questions apply to all the BRS books as I will probably study the questions in BRS Micro/Immuno, BioChem, and Behavioral Science as well. That would suck if they didn't cover the real high-yield info.

I just don't have the mental capacity to read all the BRS books and retain that much info. I do plan on memorizing First Aid.

thanks for the help.

i have to disagree with kalel on the robbins Q book not being the best prep for path.

go to the thread entitled "Ultimate path review book" you'll see that many really really like it.

i personally love it and our path faculty tell us that it is hands down the best comprehensive path question source with great explanations for step 1.

i'm not saying you shouldn't use Q bank as well, that is just plain stupid, but robbins q books rocks!

12R34Y said:
i have to disagree with kalel on the robbins Q book not being the best prep for path. go to the thread entitled "Ultimate path review book" you'll see that many really really like it.

I disagree as well. The robbin's qbook was the best resource I encountered for pathology, and it came highly recommended not only by staff, but by fellow students (not in path) that did very well. It is by no means essential, however it will give you that extra edge if you're looking for 240+. The BRS pathology book is great too, in a different way. It is less detail oriented and helps set-up a framework of how to categorize and eventually memorize pathology topics in an organized fashion. The BRS path questions I found to be too rudimentary and scant in number. I agree with 12R34Y, check out the thread for step I path review sources.

I was wondering how much perinatal/placental type questions are on the Path section on boards. Both the Robbins question book and Webpath have a section on these disorders, but BRS Path does not. We didn't really cover any of this material in our path class.

Mr. Plow said:
The BRS path questions I found to be too rudimentary and scant in number.

I wasn't planning on using the BRS series as my sole source for information. I will be using First Aid, QBank, Robbins Review, and my Goljan questions as well.

I was just wondering:
1. Would I come out with an adequate understanding of the material presented in the BRS series by just studying the questions.

2. Would my knowledge base be comparable (not necessarily equal) to someone who read through the entire BRS series and memorized most of the info?

3. I really learn well through questions, but I don't want to cheat myself out of a huge chunk of information if studying the questions isn't adequate.

so, in other words, are the questions representative of and comprehensive enough for the material presented in the chapters?

btw, I my questions apply to all the BRS books, not just Path.

thanks for your opinions. :)

I spent a large part of yesterday studying path, and this is what I've concluded. Many of the questions at the end of the BRS chapters seem to be covered in Robbins question book in some form or another. I felt like some were the exact same. So, instead of wasting those 5-10 minutes on BRS questions, I just do the ones in Robbins. They're lengthier and more thought-provoking, but they are getting the wheels in my brain turning and while some may argue that they're too "in-depth" to be of use, they do cover the basic concepts. I have heard that it's worth our time to do the questions at the very end of BRS Path.

Also, don't neglect the comprehensive exam MCQs at the end of BRS Path. Much closer to Step 1 style...

Willamette

i thought that the robbins q book was fantastic, and i highly recommend it. careful attention to the well-written answers will surely reap good results.

BRS path questions are pretty much useless. Stick with Robbin's Review Q and the "meat" of the BRS book for your studies. I've heard Webpath questions have been useful too, although I haven't used them in a while.